Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ducting for cables

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

I did a 50m run recently with 2 x SWA (2.5mm sq and 4mm sq) and 2 x Cat 6 ethernet, and was advised by an electrician to use red ESB ducting such as:

https://www.goodwins.ie/products/ESB-Ducting-Pipe-50mm-x-50mtr-Coil-Red.html?name=50mm+duct&type=simple

Everything worked fine but be wary of swept bends as you mentioned. I'd also advise running draw cables in case you want to add new cables at a later date, and to ensure your Cat 6 is either SSTP or SFTP to ensure it is shielded against interference from the power cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭monseiur

tech wrote: »
    I have an 90m run of SWA cable I need to run between gates and garage, will also need to run 2 x CAT 6 cables for cameras / intercomms.

I was thinking of using 4" black ducting in 6m length about 11e per 6m, with 45deg to take the corners,has anyone got any other suggestions

https://www.mdoshea.ie/Building/sewer-drainage/Ducting/4-black-ducting-20ft-length-6m

To the best of my knowledge you don't have to put SWA cable in a duct, just bury it at the required depth and be sure to put warning tape over it - a certain depth of back fill goes over cable then you lay your tape.
    For the CAT6 cables use 2'' light gauge hydrodare - pull a fish wire through it, 8mm nylon rope should do.
    If you decide to go with the 4'' duct, join ducts above ground and run cable through then roll into trench. As it's a 90m. run you'll need a fairly heavy cable allowing for volt drop etc. and it's almost impossible to run this cable around a 45 degree bend underground.
    Just my 2 cents !
    M

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

monseiur wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge you don't have to put SWA cable in a duct, just bury it at the required depth and be sure to put warning tape over it - a certain depth of back fill goes over cable then you lay your tape.

Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

monseiur wrote: »
    For the CAT6 cables use 2'' light gauge hydrodare - pull a fish wire through it, 8mm nylon rope should do.

Hydrodare is not appropriate for use as a cable duct.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Hydrodare is not appropriate for use as a cable duct.

Technically you are correct.
    However I wouldn’t think it would cause any issues. I would be far more concerned if the cables were above ELV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

2011 wrote: »
    Technically you are correct.
    However I wouldn’t think it would cause any issues. I would be far more concerned if the cables were above ELV.

Completely agree RE: ELV cables not posing a hazard, but it's worth pointing out that RECI have specifically pointed out in a newsletter that hydrodare must not be used as a cable duct.

Fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

tech wrote:
    I have an 90m run of SWA cable I need to run between gates and garage, will also need to run 2 x CAT 6 cables for cameras / intercomms.

Make sure your data cable is suitable for use in underground ducting and not just regular cat 6. You won't need it to be screened if you don't have it in the same ducting as the power cable but it will get wet, just worth mentioning

Advertisement