Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject Choice Help

Options
  • 20-10-2018 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, I’m currently a TY student and I’ve to pick my subjects soon.
    I’m picking Chemistry,Biology & French and need one more and I’m between 3 subjects.
    Can anyone tell me what studying Physics , History & Accounting is like.
    I got an A in science & history and a B in business (maths is also good I got an A there aswell)
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Be careful judging anything on JC results. Have you been doing taster courses in TY in the various subjects? Base your decision on those, not JC grades. It's a different ball game.
    History is very very different at LC - many people choose it because they liked it at JC, only to hate it then at LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jmoriarty142

spurious wrote: »
    Be careful judging anything on JC results. Have you been doing taster courses in TY in the various subjects? Base your decision on those, not JC grades. It's a different ball game.
    History is very very different at LC - many people choose it because they liked it at JC, only to hate it then at LC.

I have but have won’t have gotten a chance to try Accountung or History

I liked Physics but most of the taster was mostly free classes and I’m a bit wary of 3 sciences

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Tropical.ing

Yeah, I enjoyed History at Junior Cert and got an A, but when we did History in TY, I really didn’t like it. Way too much to learn and it only really covers the history of the last 150-200 years, whereas I preferred the ancient history section at Junior Cert, so I avoided history for leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Are you picking subjects for 5th year? If so, why are you picking them in October? It's a bit early to make that decision in TY.

Are you picking subjects for 5th year? If so, why are you picking them in October? It's a bit early to make that decision in TY.

We have to pick for the end of November in my school for some weird reason

• Advertisement

Yeah, I enjoyed History at Junior Cert and got an A, but when we did History in TY, I really didn’t like it. Way too much to learn and it only really covers the history of the last 150-200 years, whereas I preferred the ancient history section at Junior Cert, so I avoided history for leaving cert.

What did you pick instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Tropical.ing

I picked French, DCG, Physics, Business and Economics. I’ve been happy with my choices so far while my friend who does history likes the subject but has had to do a lot of 4-5 page history essays. If you have any questions about these subjects just ask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 twiz

In hindsight, I wouldn't have minded doing three sciences - don't be put off just because very few others choose to do three. Physics is probably a lighter workload than history too, particularly if you're good at maths. That said, if you really really like history you might prefer it. Accounting seems to depend on the teacher as far as I can see - some people do extremely well easily enough, but only if numbers are your thing! Just what I know from hearing others' points of view - to be honest, you won't know for sure until you try!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭yogi37

What do you want to do when you finish school? Have you given that any thought yet? If your definitely looking to do something science related in third level it would be no harm in choosing 3 science subjects. However, if your undecided at this stage it might be worthwhile throwing in accounting, economics or business which would open up a lot of other possibilities in third level and also further career options.

Advertisement