Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Irish' nostalgic products for a food hamper

Options
  • 20-10-2018 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Hope this is the right forum. I want to send over some food products to family in the US next week. They can buy some things there like kerrygold and brennans bread but what things are quintessentially irish and you would love to see if you loved abroad? (it will be carried in a backpack so can't be too fragile). So far I have:
    -a whole cartload of cadburys products
    -Tayto cheese and onion (need to figure out how to not get these mashed)
    -Barrys tea

Help me with the rest please!!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Macaroon bars ( Original ones) crunchies, carabaldi buscuits,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

carabaldi buscuits,

Really??? I literally don't know a single person who eats Garibaldi biscuits.

Mine would be:

Lyon's (sorry!) teabags.
    Brown bread (or the dry ingredients to make it).
    Good marmalade.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Macaroon bars ( Original ones) crunchies, carabaldi buscuits,

What biscuits????:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

Maybe not nostalgic but McDonnells Curry Sauce. Bisto. Rashers and pudding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Fig rolls and some kimberly micados and digestives

• Advertisement

Cola bottles

A kilo of pinks ,A kilo of records and a 4 stone bag of coal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Oh god these are brilliant suggestions especially mcdonnells curry and bisto! Thanks. Keep the ideas coming

Don't forget the Garibaldi's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Flogs (those marshmallow things)

Red lemonade, possibly Taylor Keith.

Tayto (the country name for any crisp)

Gateaux Swiss Roll

Barn back

Rashers

Black and white pudding

McCambridge brown soda bread

• Advertisement

Proper mustard ( Colemans English Mustard) to remind them of Ireland......?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,932 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Can you actually send perishable food items , such as bread , rashers etc ?

Only asking as I send a family member in Canada a care package every few months , usually contains ;
    Giant box of Lyons tea bags ,
    Tayto crisps ,lots of them!
    Silvermints,
    Frys chocolate,
    Dairymilk,
    And any other random goodies I think they might like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Barry's tea, Coleman's mustard, Kerrygold butter and cheese are available in mainstream supermarkets where I live (Boston). Cadbury's quality has deteriorated to the point that it would only disappoint. You can get much better crisps in the US than Tayto. I suppose it depends on the age of the recipient and how long they've lived abroad. Most people grow out of the tayto/cadburys/mikado/general junk food thing after a few years.

I would love: Ballymaloe Relish, good Ploughman's Pickle, artisan Jam or marmalade, a whole or half wheel of Cashel Blue*, smoked salmon, pickled onions. I make my own brown bread, but you could add a brown bread mix. This would be the makings of a very nice brunch.

*Leave the Cashel Blue wrapped and uneaten until well past it's sell by date. It becomes wonderfully soft and creamy instead of crumbly, and it really is the food of the gods.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

A kilo of pinks ,A kilo of records and a 4 stone bag of coal

+1 a bale of briquettes and a cylinder of Calor gas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Our family members in the US love packets of Knorr bread sauce mix, especially at this time of year for Thanksgiving and Christmas turkeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

walshes spiceburgers

Don't forget the Garibaldi's

Them are pure sh1te.theyre like something you’d be given in greece with the tea

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Them are pure sh1te.theyre like something you’d be given in greece with the tea

I love Garabaldi. Not too sweet.
    Hard enough to find, though, and I never really considered them as quintessentially Irish.

yellow hen wrote: »
    Hope this is the right forum. I want to send over some food products to family in the US next week. They can buy some things there like kerrygold and brennans bread but what things are quintessentially irish and you would love to see if you loved abroad? (it will be carried in a backpack so can't be too fragile). So far I have:
    -a whole cartload of cadburys products
    -Tayto cheese and onion (need to figure out how to not get these mashed)
    -Barrys tea

Help me with the rest please!!!

I’d forget the Cadbury’s products. They’re not what they used be!

Taytos, rashers, sausages, puddings, brown bread mix, Lyons tea, plum pudding, (not chain store ones) marrowfat peas, fig rolls, mikados,

I love Garabaldi. Not too sweet.
    Hard enough to find, though, and I never really considered them as quintessentially Irish.

I hate them.i love rich tea covered in butter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭yogi37

Chicken Fillet Rolls

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭yogi37

Cadbury's quality has deteriorated to the point that it would only disappoint.

I suspect that Cadbury's they sell is not sourced from Ireland. Cadbury's chocolate is sold everywhere but is never as good as the stuff bought in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

A tiny bit of turf, a rolled up bit of the Westmeath Indo (or other local newspaper) and a box of Cara safety matches.

Smells are best for immigrant nostalgia.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    A tiny bit of turf, a rolled up bit of the Westmeath Indo (or other local newspaper) and a box of Cara safety matches.

Smells are best for immigrant nostalgia.

They’ll think it’s drugs in customs.you can’t send turf either I think due to quarantine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Garibaldis are prod English biscuits. No way Jose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

"Old Time Irish" marmalade with the picture on the front of an old fashioned kitchen with a cat.
    Tanora, or any kind of "red lemonade"
    Lemons Pure Sweets
    Bullseyes and Chocolate Satines: fizz-bags.
    Paxo stuffing.
    Odlums Triumph Oatmeal, with the owl logo. Too big for a hamper, though - but they may have gift items with the iconic logo
    Jacob's Cream Crackers.
    Hadji Bey's Turkish Delight

Barnbrac with ring? Any hard biscuits? All the different types of digestives.

If they're into baking, things that I'd guess might be hard to get like golden syrup, black treacle, etc.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If you're planning on bringing the foods on in your carry-on luggage remember that stuff like jam, marmalade, relish, soft cheese, etc. can be considered liquids or pastes and you could be prevented from bringing them on the plane. Happened a woman at Dublin Airport with a tub of butter earlier this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Freeze them. Hey presto -they are a solid. Cooler bag fire your carry on luggage.
    System fooled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

There is a cadburys vintage selection box of chocolate bars. It looks great. I saw it in debenhams recently.

Advertisement