Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Irish' nostalgic products for a food hamper

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Chef brown sauce. Aromat.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Next week's Lidl specials flyer.
    A properly printed photo or two. Of the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

TK red lemonade

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Really??? I literally don't know a single person who eats Garibaldi biscuits.

I try to get some at this time of the year. I give them out to any kids that call on Hallowe'en & tell them that the raisins are actually dead flies. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A pack of Calvita cheese triangles, a bag of Emerald sweets, & purple, pink & yellow Snack bars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Definitely marmalade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

YR Sauce.

(most people assume its English but its very Irish)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BailMeOut wrote: »
    YR Sauce.

(most people assume its English but its very Irish)

I assume you are taking the proverbial, here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I assume you are taking the proverbial, here?

Nope. YR is a very Irish product and good luck finding it is Yorkshire!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Nope. YR is a very Irish product and good luck finding it is Yorkshire!

You could have gotten money off me on a bet about this. Who would have thought that it's made in Donegal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Our family members in the US love packets of Knorr bread sauce mix, especially at this time of year for Thanksgiving and Christmas turkeys.

Gak.

It's a pity you couldn't put lamb in it. There is nothing in the world like Irish lamb.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Gak.

It's a pity you couldn't put lamb in it. There is nothing in the world like Irish lamb.

Each to their own - and for some Irish people abroad turkey just isn't the same without Knorr bread sauce ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 69,011 ✭✭✭✭L1011

yogi37 wrote: »
    I suspect that Cadbury's they sell is not sourced from Ireland. Cadbury's chocolate is sold everywhere but is never as good as the stuff bought in Ireland.

Only the 8 square bars and anything containing a spun centre (Twirl, Flake, some other bars) are made in Ireland these days as far as I know. And all their products are filled with soya to reduce costs and hence clearly are not the product they used to be.

However - they're going to be a lot better than the crud they sell as chocolate in the US.

What I used to miss when in the UK was Club Orange (which I never drink in Ireland!) and proper salt and vinegar crisps (the English ones are mostly salt)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

They’ll think it’s drugs in customs.you can’t send turf either I think due to quarantine.

I never thought of that. Fair play. OP, take note!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

They’ll think it’s drugs in customs.you can’t send turf either I think due to quarantine.

+1 US Dept of Agriculture regulations. No clay, earth, peat or anything that could harbour pests. The same reason why you can't bring fruit past pre-clearance in Dublin or Shannon.

I remember boxes of shamrock for sale in shops around Paddy's Day when I was a kid and they were clearly marked as having had all the soil washed off so that they could be posted to the US.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Custard powder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

Hob nobs to dunk in the (barry's) tea!
    Although they're probly used to watery tea now so you could bring the Lyons.

It's hard to get good dairy cream over there, if you're checking in a bag, maybe you could pack some.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭mistersifter

KING crisps

Chocolate kimberley.

Butlers chocolates (dont be sending any Lemons sweets either. Terrible yolks they are. Anyone brings them to my house at Christmas is stopped at the door and sent on their merry way! ).

Chef sauce.

I could never get proper malt vinegar for chips when I was abroad and would've appreciated it. I'd friends too who were begging me to bring them bacherlors beans.

ellejay wrote: »
    Hob nobs to dunk in the (barry's) tea!
    Although they're probly used to watery tea now so you could bring the Lyons.

It's hard to get good dairy cream over there, if you're checking in a bag, maybe you could pack some.

Chocolate Goldgrain dunked in Lyons tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. Some were excellent; some I took less seriously ;)

I now have a fairly respectable good supply going over. Also added in some good honey. Bag will be checked in so I'm ok for liquids.
    Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

L1011 wrote: »
    What I used to miss when in the UK was Club Orange (which I never drink in Ireland!)
    I would much rather get a bottle of club orange than red lemonade. Last time I had tk red lemonade it was nothing special, just tastes like any own brand lemonade. Club orange is very distinct, very different from say fanta.

Club appears on some lists of "classic irish foods" like the OP is looking for.

There are sites that send Irish food abroad. These might have more ideas of what people living abroad typically want to order.

http://www.paddysnax.com/index.php/biscuits.html

I see cidona on this one
    http://www.foodireland.com/c/bevSoda.html

https://www.gifts.ie/customer-service/irish-hampers-to-usa

• Registered Users Posts: 69,011 ✭✭✭✭L1011

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 US Dept of Agriculture regulations. No clay, earth, peat or anything that could harbour pests. The same reason why you can't bring fruit past pre-clearance in Dublin or Shannon.

I remember boxes of shamrock for sale in shops around Paddy's Day when I was a kid and they were clearly marked as having had all the soil washed off so that they could be posted to the US.

Bord na Mona import turf that I presume has been irradiated to the USA. Its 50 dollars for a bale of briquettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

Mentioned this thread to family member in Boston, and Sean's brown bread from Supervalu x 1000000!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

L1011 wrote: »
    Bord na Mona import turf that I presume has been irradiated to the USA. Its 50 dollars for a bale of briquettes.

We were taking in turf one day (dumped on the path outside our house from a Transit pickup) when I was a kid and a coach full of Americans stopped, the driver got out, grabbed a couple of sods and passed them around to the amusement of his passengers.

'Gee honey, can you smell that Irish peat'?

Advertisement