Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying Medicine in Europe

Options
  • 20-10-2018 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello, this is my first post.

I'm 21, finished my Leaving Cert a couple of years back and came out with 425 points, I know I should have done a hell of a lot better but that's what I have, I wasn't even serious looking at medicine at that stage (and with those points) despite being fascinated with medical textbooks as a 4 year old
    I've wasted time in a business degree and in a software degree thinking I'd settle.
    I know I want to study medicine, nothing else and I'm just wasting my time and money doing anything else..

I realise I won't be studying in Ireland any time soon.
    So my best bet is probably Europe..

Are there any online resources I should be checking out?
    What points are generally good enough? I'm guessing it's more case by case, and then what else would factor?

If it comes to it I'll work full time for a year, save up and just go repeat in the likes of Yeats or the likes..

I got a B2 in Biology, didn't do Chemistry.. I'm guessing that'll hold me back..

Any info would be greatly appreciated, and apologies if this is in the wrong section!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Yeats (or any other grind school) isn't a magic bullet to scoring 600 points. You are expected to work 12 hours a day and you have bundles of notes to learn off. That's it.

If you are motivated enough you can register to sit the LC in any school as an external student and study at home. I presume you didn't finishe either degree from the way you've worded it. Given that you have spent time studying for a business degree you could use that to your advantage and take the three business subjects. They should be easy enough for you at LC level if you have the material covered at college. You will need to do Irish, English, Maths, foreign language for some colleges and at least one science.

If you could use your business background to maximise points then you could take some of the requirements at ordinary level, e.g. French if you haven't done languages in a number of years to meet requirements.

A lack of chemistry won't hold you back, you just won't have the requirements for some colleges. Couldn't comment on the requirements for medicine in Europe, but you would want to be hitting the 550 mark at least here and doing a good HPAT.

Check out Eunicas if you want to research colleges in Europe.

Also depending on what kind of grade you got in your degree (if you did finish) you might want to consider graduate medicine.....

Here's an example of a course:

https://www.rcsi.com/dublin/undergraduate/gem/entry-requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 27 twiz

If you look at the Eunicas website, or contact them directly, they'll be able to walk you through everything for medicine in Europe.
    Many universities in Europe don't look at points, though I'm not sure about medicine - I know many will have entrance exams in biology and chemistry so it might be worth picking a chemistry book and reviewing your biology notes!

Advertisement