Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was this setup worth paying for?

Options
  • 20-10-2018 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

I had a local guitar shop replace strings and setup intonation and action on an old Squier electric I owned as I wanted to take up playing again after having given up on it years ago. The action has definitely improved but the string installation looks messy in my admittedly amateur opinion. Does this look like a professional job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭conorgriff

Another shot

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Definitely not the best stringing job I've ever seen, but not the worst. Definitely not worth picking a fight with the shop though - you've gotten an improved action, and I assume improved intonation, so I'd take this as a lesson, and go learn how to do your own setups at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

not pristine, but that is pretty much cosmetic. the action is better so I'd be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yeah that's a ****ty string job. Strings too long and poorly wound, could have been a lot neater. Usually when you leave too much string wound you can have unstable tuning. If the shop was local I wouldn't be afraid to say something, you're not starting an argument, all you're saying is that the strings were installed poorly. I'd say they would do them fresh(and hopefully properly).

If it is staying in tune, just take it as a lesson learned and watch a few youtube videos on proper string installation and do the next set yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭godfrey

Jesus H C -
    Learn how to string your guitar. Do you want your cables coiled up for you too?

g

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

How is the intonation? Is that fixed?
    Strings look poorly wound especially that high E

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

godfrey wrote: »
    Jesus H C -

g

To be fair the OP left it in for a general setup, nothing wrong about that. What's wrong is getting it back in the condition they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭conorgriff

godfrey wrote: »
    Jesus H C -

g

U mad bro?

For what it’s worth I was leaving it in for a setup; intonation, action and new strings. I’ve replaced strings before myself and I’ve done a neater job than this. I just expected a cleaner job from a professional but wondered if this is just normal and I should adjust my expectations.

Hope that’s ok with you ;p

Advertisement