Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much lime needed

Options
  • 20-10-2018 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Got soil sample from lawn tested, results fine bar lime of 5.1 pH.
    I believe I need to get this up to 6.5 ish pH
    For a lawn just under an acre, how much lime, where to source economically, easiest way to spread?

I have a push grass seed broadcaster.
    Lime pellet bags in garden shops ain't cheap when quantity is involved.
    Would those half tonne lime pellet in agri stores be the way to go? Would that be suitable for lawn.

Anyway, looking to getting it done shortly and would prefer not to be hand spreading powder and looking like a crazy baker on the loose

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭standardg60

Is this an existing lawn and are you having problems with it?
    You'd only lime it if the ph was high and moss was an issue..otherwise i'd just give it a general feed, either autumn lawn feed now or wait til spring for a general/ weed feed application.

Sorry should have said you'd only lime if ph was low.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

New lawn and not in bad nick generally. Some areas are less green and other areas lush dark green but it came through a baptism of summer drought.
    I am planning on feeding it in spring too.
    I know slightly higher pH would be better long term and liming it now would slowly correct that. Just the how, where, cost ...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lime is not a permanent fix, it'll revert to acid soil as the lime washes out.

Nothing wrong with acid soil, grass should be fine.

This year has been hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭standardg60

I wouldn't worry about it so, slightly low ph is fine..save your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭s8n

About two fiddy

• Advertisement

i'll have to go with About two fiddy
    it's the only reasonable explanation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Shaunoc wrote: »
    i'll have to go with About two fiddy
    it's the only reasonable explanation

Get to an agri suppliers. Two 50kg bags of granlime shouldn't cost much more than €50. Two bags per year for 3-4 years should go a long way towards getting the ph right. If you have the appropriate access and a farmer neighbour is spreading lime and ground conditions are good 2 tonne of lime spread is €48 in my area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I got two 50kg bags of granular lime for 20e last year in my local agri place. Spread with a broadcast spreader and allowed to break down over winter.
    Get a decent spreader. You'll be forever doing it by hand if you choose to go ahead with liming the area.

Roen wrote: »
    I got two 50kg bags of granular lime for 20e last year in my local agri place. Spread with a broadcast spreader and allowed to break down over winter.
    Get a decent spreader. You'll be forever doing it by hand if you choose to go ahead with liming the area.

sounds like a plan.
    my local agri just does half tonne.
    i'll go further afield

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Shaunoc wrote: »
    sounds like a plan.
    my local agri just does half tonne.
    i'll go further afield

Thats probably milled limestone for bedding dairy cows. Could even have some hydrated lime in it. Not really what you're after.

• Advertisement
Advertisement