Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toilet sponge gasket sealant?

• 20-10-2018 8:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Had to replace the siphon on a close coupled toilet cistern.

That part went okay but after attempting to replace the rubber gasket between the cistern and the bottom part, it turns out that the lower part of the toilet is at an angle (by design I'm pretty sure) and the previous installer had put some sort of thick sealant substance around the gasket to make it seal. Or at least that's what it appeared to be, looking at the original gasket afterwards you could break this sealant off and crumble it with your fingers.

So what was this sealant? Or what should I use instead of it?

I see you can also get differently shaped gaskets which could also be an option if I could find them, but then I also don't know the exact shape.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭whizbang

Its a doughnut washer. Usually foam type material, any plumbing shop, even Woodies do them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Thanks whizbang. I have the doughnut washer (called a sponge gasket in the OP) though, it's what type of sealant was used to overcome it being the incorrect shape that I'm after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

You shouldn't need any sealant for the washer, there are a couple of different type of washers, make sure you are using the correct one, i have attached a picture, the washer to the left generally suits all cister/pans , it should mould itself to any imperfections of shape, i find the one to the right pretty useless.

Yeah, that's the one I have.

Unfortunately due to the angle at which the cistern meets the toilet it isn't forming a seal at the back of the toilet.

While it's possible that it's supposed to have a differently shaped gasket. the one that was already in the toilet was covered in some substance in order to make it seal. As that had probably held for a couple of decades I'd like to just redo whatever was originally done, but I don't know what to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Zab wrote: »
    Yeah, that's the one I have.

Unfortunately due to the angle at which the cistern meets the toilet it isn't forming a seal at the back of the toilet.

While it's possible that it's supposed to have a differently shaped gasket. the one that was already in the toilet was covered in some substance in order to make it seal. As that had probably held for a couple of decades I'd like to just redo whatever was originally done, but I don't know what to use.

You say what was on it previously was crumbly when removed, possibly plumbers mate putty.
    You could gunter it with silicone and let it set in position over night but it can be messy to remove if it fails.

• Advertisement

Thanks sullzz, plumbers putty looks like a strong candidate!

Before you replied I had cut the original doughnut gasket into a wedge shape and added it above the new doughnut. Appears to have worked well. I'll keep an eye on it and get some plumbers putty if it looks like it'll fail.

Advertisement