Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strawberry plants in raised beds over winter

Options
  • 20-10-2018 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Hi all
    Started growing strawberries this year in raised beds in my back garden. Did surprisingly well and got good amount of fruit from them. Have been removing runners for this year.
    At the moment plants are mainly green with a few lower leaves turning brown so I assume they are going into dormant period. Should I cut back all the green before covering with straw for the winter? I can find lots of info RE protecting them over the winter but nothing about how much to cut back ? How much of the plants do I leave above ground before mulching etc...thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I'm not an expert, but I always just remove all the brown leaves so they don't rot, and cover the base of the plant with straw etc., not the entire plant.

Advertisement