Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I write 8 pages in an hour? HL English

Options
  • 20-10-2018 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

We have a huge English test on Rich and we have an hour to do it and I did a practice run and only got 5 pages and a half in one hour discussing only 4 poems when I know all 6 perfectly. How can I increase my speed for the day? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

bigger letters and gaps between each word?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Tropical.ing

My English teacher said to only write about 4-6 pages and only discuss 4-5 poems. Quality > Quantity

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭naxmax9

My English teacher said to only write about 4-6 pages and only discuss 4-5 poems. Quality > Quantity

Yes I agree but mine said to use all 6 for a H1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Nowhere in any marking scheme does it specify a number of pages an answer must be.

Answer the question.

Your Examiner in the Leaving will prefer 4-5 pages of well stated clear argument rather than 8 pages of waffle and repetition.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

spurious wrote: »
    Your Examiner in the Leaving will prefer 4-5 pages of well stated clear argument rather than 8 pages of waffle and repetition.
    +1000 !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭nermal15

I am an English teacher and would be rolling my eyes if someone handed me up 8 pages for a poetry essay- there’s no need for it to be that long! Discussing 4 poems in depth is plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

You could pretend you broke your writing hand if you know someone who will plaster it up for you.
    They will have to give you someone to write out your answer then and you just have to sit there calling out the answer really fast and it’s up to them to keep up with you.
    Shout out the odd hurry up to them aswell.
    Sound

• Registered Users Posts: 27 twiz

naxmax9 wrote: »
    Yes I agree but mine said to use all 6 for a H1
    Not true at all - it's minimum 4 but otherwise the number of poems won't determine your grade. 5 pages is pretty good, I think. If you feel like you have more to write but won't have enough time, consider where you could cut back in what you already have written - any extra, unimportant points you could do without?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

I think I discussed 4 poems during my actual LC poetry question and got something like 42/50, so you definitely don't need to discuss all 6 to get a good mark in poetry.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

I'll refer to the marking scheme, that normally encourages the study of at least six poems. When I did my Leaving Cert, I chose to discuss at least six poems. Nothing explicitly states that you must mention six or more poems, but there is no way that the examiner can know that you studied all of them without referring to them in your answer.
    “Students at Higher Level will be required to study a representative
    selection from the work of eight poets: a representative selection would
    seek to reflect the range of a poet’s themes and interests and exhibit
    his/her characteristic style and viewpoint. Normally the study of at least
    six poems by each poet would be expected.” (DES English Syllabus, 6.3)

Note that, in the case of each poet, the candidates have the freedom of
    choice in relation to the poems studied.

Note that there is not a finite list of any ‘poet’s themes and interests’.

Note that, in responding to the question set on any given poet, the
    candidates must refer to poem/s they have studied but they are not
    required to refer to any specific poem/s, nor are they expected to
    discuss or refer to all the poems they have chosen to study.

In each of the questions in Prescribed Poetry the underlying nature of
    the task is the invitation to the candidates to engage with the poems
    themselves.

I'll reiterate what others have said about quantity. Eight pages is excessive. Quality is more important, but it is unlikely that you can demonstrate both quality and depth of knowledge without writing about four pages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Discussed 4 poems over 5 pages and got 48/50.

As mentioned, quality trumps quantity every single time.

Advertisement