Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAA Medals.

• 21-10-2018 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

reading about some guy today whose brother had died from drugs, he said he'd give all his Gaa medals to have him back, surely if you had the chance to get a loved one back you'd be willing to part with something more than a few poxy Gaa medals.?:confused:

Comments

I assume for that person in particular his GAA medals mean a lot to him. And they’re not really something he can replace, say he said “I’d give my flat screen and my car to have my brother back”, to me id read that like well you can buy another so w/e. I don’t know, guess it’s just how you read it maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

decky1 wrote: »
    reading about some guy today whose brother had died from drugs, he said he'd give all his Gaa medals to have him back, surely if you had the chance to get a loved one back you'd be willing to part with something more than a few poxy Gaa medals.?:confused:

I think what he probably meant was that the medals and all the work that went into earning them are massively important to him - perhaps the most important material 'things' in his life because of what they symbolise - but are ultimately meaningless and pale into insignificance within the context of having lost his brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

I'd give all my GAA medals, but not Boba Fett

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

if God said to him'give us them ould medals and i'll drop him back ' he may say 'a ffs can i keep the senior one at least'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

They obviously aren't poxy to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

If I had Gaelic football medals and awards, I'd swap them all for a good Chinese chicken curry because that's about as much as they're worth. Never understood why people enjoy this low-skilled, predictable sport where you put in hours of training for no financial reward. It's like being a member of a religious cult, you do all of the volunteer donkey work, while the guys at the top earn great money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

If I had Gaelic football medals and awards, I'd swap them all for a good Chinese chicken curry because that's about as much as they're worth. Never understood why people enjoy this low-skilled, predictable sport where you put in hours of training for no financial reward. It's like being a member of a religious cult, you do all of the volunteer donkey work, while the guys at the top earn great money.

I've never understood why people enjoy doing things that I don't enjoy doing. They should like the things I like, and let that be the end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I have a fair idea of the person your talking about and their medals/tittles would mean a lot to them and they'd have worked hard for them.
    They aren't going to say they'd give up another person they loved to bring back their brother.

Thank you, thank you, i've been saying this for years,

How many lemons did you suck to be that bitter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Who's getting rich from the GAA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Who is the lad in question, Philly McMahon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Barlett

Thank you, thank you, i've been saying this for years,

Isn't it amazing, how people have different interests in life and enjoy some things more than others?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Barlett

Who is the lad in question, Philly McMahon?

Most likely, considering Philly has built a very successful career and life for himself through GAA, it's fairly clear what he means. And to the OP, just because something isn't valuable to you, doesn't mean it isn't valuable to others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Does Boards.ie have a function where you can report an OP for being an absolute twat?

not wishing for this post to turn into a 'hate the gaa debate' i;m sure he had good intentions when he said he'd give up his medal's, but surly he would give everything he owns to have his brother back. We know we can't get our loved one's back it's just something we say.

Who's getting rich from the GAA?

someone has to be creaming off some of it , how much to get into Croke Park+every county match,there is a county ground in our area 25 euro to get in to a county final no stand/seating or any where to go if it 's raining, and that's just one county, where does the money go.I know a Gaa offical that was given a new car some years ago?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Elmo Murphy

not wishing for this post to turn into a 'hate the gaa debate' i;m sure he had good intentions when he said he'd give up his medal's, but surly he would give everything he owns to have his brother back. We know we can't get our loved one's back it's just something we say.

He obviously using a metaphor to explain that his brother is way more important than something like playing football for Dublin and Ballymun Kickhams which is obviously something that would be extremely important to him also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Elmo Murphy

someone has to be creaming off some of it , how much to get into Croke Park+every county match,there is a county ground in our area 25 euro to get in to a county final no stand/seating or any where to go if it 's raining, and that's just one county, where does the money go.I know a Gaa offical that was given a new car some years ago?:confused:

I don't think you have any idea how much it costs to run a GAA club or county board.

I don't think you have any idea how much it costs to run a GAA club or county board.

sorry i hav'nt a clue.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Liam28

He obviously using a metaphor to explain that his brother is way more important than something like playing football for Dublin and Ballymun Kickhams which is obviously something that would be extremely important to him also.
    What he said. OP misses the point if he thinks it is about the actual medals, as in the little metal discs. This is Philly McMahon, who has 6 All Ireland football medals, which puts him in the very highest echelon of not just GAA players, but of any Irish sports men or women, all time. So the medals represent achievement, fame, status, respect, glory, victory. So he would give up everything he has achieved in life for his brother. Fair enough, I guess most or all people would.

Liam28 wrote: »
    What he said. OP misses the point if he thinks it is about the actual medals, as in the little metal discs. This is Philly McMahon, who has 6 All Ireland football medals, which puts him in the very highest echelon of not just GAA players, but of any Irish sports men or women, all time. So the medals represent achievement, fame, status, respect, glory, victory. So he would give up everything he has achieved in life for his brother. Fair enough, I guess most or all people would.

Good point i get your meaning,He's on tv tomorrow night i might even watch it.:cool:

Advertisement