Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exceptional Live Performance

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

I was there too. They were incredible. Four Sticks played by the Egyptian ensemble was stuck in my head for weeks.

I saw Zeppelin live in 1979 ( Knebworth) and 1980 (Frankfurt), but I have to say the "No Quarter" gig in the Point in 1995 was way up there.

also Plant in Olympia 2005? / 6?

It shows real genius when they can rework songs to become some kind of other beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

I'm I the only mentioning gigs from the Picnic, c'mon people dig out your Picnic memories.

Deadmau5 electric picnic 2008
    He put me and a group of my friends on his guest list for electric picnic after we met him backstage at creamfields a few weeks before. Epic show.

Fatboy slim creamfields 2008 was pretty memorable.

Also the XX at the tivoli this year was absolutely epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Wilco, 96/97 Whelan's
    Pulp this hardcore tour ambassador 98?
    Sufjn Stevens TCD 2003(?)
    Springsteen RDS (05?)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,363 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Can't believe nobody's mentioned David Byrne last night!

I was properly blown away.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

David Byrne's gig last night was indeed phenomenal...choreography, musical content ( all live) and DB's own performance were astonishing , and the man is only six months away from his bus pass.And I'd forgotten how good the old Talking Heads stuff was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,363 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Joe prim wrote: »
    David Byrne's gig last night was indeed phenomenal...choreography, musical content ( all live) and DB's own performance were astonishing , and the man is only six months away from his bus pass.And I'd forgotten how good the old Talking Heads stuff was.
    I couldn't get over his voice, that's the first time I've seen him live and he was bloody fantastic.

Another voice that blew me away, although the gig itself was average enough, was Billy Joel in the O2 a few years ago. All I'd heard in advance about him (again, first time to see live) was that "he'll start the songs and the audience will finish them", so I went with low enough expectations. But my God, that man can sing!!!

But the sheer theatre of David Byrne last night.....

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭loadwire

Arcade Fire EP 2005
    Incredible atmosphere, the band feeding off it and going into space.

Radiohead Belfast 2001
    A couple of days after 9/11. Thom was tense and quiet to begin but by the end it was joyous.

U2 Zoo TV RDS 93

Bowie The Point 2003

Pearl Jam The Point 96

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

The Cure at Electric Picnic

Leonard Cohen in Kilmainham

And definitely on a par with both acts, Little Green Cars in Dublin last year...super band...superb live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Pearl jam - Slane 93.
    Faith No more - The Point 92 + Dalymount 93
    Megadeth - Point 91 (I got nick menzas drumstick)
    Beastie Boys - Electric picnic 07
    Elbow - Electric Picnic 07
    Queens of the Stone Age - Ambassador -2008
    U2 - ZooTv tour Cork 93
    Michael Jackson - Cork 88 (my 1st gig)
    Pearl Jam - Hyde Pk 2010
    Eddie Vedder - Hammersmith Apollo - 2012 (honourable mention to Glen Hansard!!)
    The Doors (of the 21st Century) The Point 2004

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Pavement, Rock Garden, 1994
    Beastie Boys, RDS, 1995
    Super Furry Animals, Middle East (Boston), 1999
    Nick Cave, Liss Ard, 1999
    Primal Scream, Hammersmith Palais, 2000 (w/ Kevin Shields on guitar)
    Chemical Brothers, EP 2011
    David Byrne & St Vincent, EP 2013
    Phoenix, Primavera Sound, 2013
    Aphex Twin, FF 2018
    David Byrne, 3Arena, last Wednesday
    Chemical Brothers, 3Arena, next Monday (fingers crossed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mono_mac

Chilli Peppers at SLANE a few years ago was haunting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

https://youtu.be/KO5sPkssrmM

I'll leave this here. Wild frontman + rowdy crowd, it's a spectacle that we need more of!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Boredoms in the Village in 2007
    Broken Social Scene in TBMC in 2006
    Sigur Ros in TBMC in 2000
    At The Drive-In in TBMC in 2000
    The Go! Team in the Village in 2005
    Dan Deacon in Crawdaddy in 2007
    Portico Quartet in Whelans in 2008
    Punch Brothers in Whelans in 2012
    Grouper in Unitarian Church in 2018

Been to hundreds of gigs, but these ones stood out. Exceptional performances from exceptional artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

The Jay Z x Kanye West "Watch the Throne" shows back in June 2012 in the 3 arena were unbelievable. Two bona fide legends trading 40+ songs over about 2.5 hours along with exceptional staging and production. Still the bar for me in terms of arena shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Too many to count...

Few standouts are Portishead at EP, NMH in Vicar Street, RHCP at Slane, Arctic Monkeys at Marlay Park when Alex got the acoustic guitar out at the end for A Certain Romance...

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaSophia

This is one of my all-time favourites.
    The energy and fun is amazing :p

Twenty minutes of sheer joy right there!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

This is an unreal performance from a band at their peak. Great intensity. Even the intro music gives me chills.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Muse

Marley Park

Torrential Rain which somehow evaporated and turned into a mist before it hit the ground. Lazers in the mist with the music was amazing.

Ohhh yes. That was a good'un.

PS: Its Marlay

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Franz doing this in the Olympia was a good one too. Great vibe that night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Heiser

Chemical Brothers, 3Arena, next Monday (fingers crossed!)

Yep, that can certainly be added to the list

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Can't believe nobody's mentioned David Byrne last night!

I was properly blown away.
    Joe prim wrote: »
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I couldn't get over his voice, that's the first time I've seen him live and he was bloody fantastic.

Another voice that blew me away, although the gig itself was average enough, was Billy Joel in the O2 a few years ago. All I'd heard in advance about him (again, first time to see live) was that "he'll start the songs and the audience will finish them", so I went with low enough expectations. But my God, that man can sing!!!

But the sheer theatre of David Byrne last night.....

Went to the O2 Show in London on Monday night and he was amazing. I last seen him at Feile 1992 and he was amazing then too, in fact that feile gig is one I often include as one of my favourite ever, but Monday night as up there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Metallica '96

Got actual whiplash from headbanging too much, couldn't lift my head for a week

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

There are bands that would be looked down upon in the rock/metal community but they provided great live performances like Bullet For My Valentine and Evanescence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Prodigy - Feila 94 - First time hearing the Jilted stuff like Voodoo People and Poison...Mind blowing stuff from a rave act!

Manics - Point 99. The earliest I ever got to see them and the last tour I reckon before they started losing that youthful energy. Prologue to History was a highlight and the first time I'd head it live!

Muse 3 arena 16 - In total contract to their previous tour which was quite soft and poppy, this was full on relentlessly heavy from start to finish. Incredible show altogether. They'd gotten softer and softer since Resistance and this was an epic return to form with a staggering stage show. Sadly, their new album looks like it's going to be their softest yet. :(

Advertisement