Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin marathon ‘logistics’

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Thanks all, in case anyone is looking back next year we got parking on Waterloo Road at 8:30 ish. One of the last spaces but wasnt too far from the start of the wave.... until the long walk to the bag drop!

Expo was very well organised for registration, even on Saturday evening when it was very busy. Rds car park was full by time we got there though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Crowd management afterwards was a disgrace. I had no bag or ppl to meet but was made walk a half hr extra to get to my car which was 300 yards from finish line. Left a sour taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Found that tricky too and not sure if it’s like that every year but for people to see the finish they’d to walk ages from Merrion square, and had arranged a meeting point close enough to Merrion square as that was the finish but then ended up walking way away from there up baggot st and to Stephens green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Crowd management afterwards was a disgrace. I had no bag or ppl to meet but was made walk a half hr extra to get to my car which was 300 yards from finish line. Left a sour taste.

The post-race crowd management was designed to deal with large numbers of runners *safely*, and may allow for a further expansion of the number of runners next year. Calling it a disgrace because it didn't suit your specific post-race transport plans is ridiculous. If you want to step off a course an into your car, don't do big city marathons and look at an EOI marathon or something. Anyway, you could have used the opportunity for a cooldown jog :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Singer wrote: »
    The post-race crowd management was designed to deal with large numbers of runners *safely*, and may allow for a further expansion of the number of runners next year. Calling it a disgrace because it didn't suit your specific post-race transport plans is ridiculous. If you want to step off a course an into your car, don't do big city marathons and look at an EOI marathon or something. Anyway, you could have used the opportunity for a cooldown jog :D

I was thinking of contacting the organisers to complain that they wouldn't allow me down to Fitzwilliam Lane to get to McGrattans. I had to go the long way around via Baggot Street. :mad:

I really think some consideration should be given to those in need of post race fluids.

• Advertisement

Singer wrote: »

You can't jog through the national gallery, its not the done thing ðŸ˜. Can't understand how it was ok last year and not ok this year. The last thing you want post race is stuck in the rain. You'd catch your death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Thats standard in all big international marathons. You surely would moan if u ran new york.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

It's called crowd management for a reason. Rock n Roll half marathon was a disaster for example. The funnel from finish line exited into the queue for the bag drop.

20000 people need to be filtered away from the finish area to ensure ease of access in case somebody needs emergency medical assistance in the finish area. It's not all about you. Don't be so fcuking selfish

The youtube broadcast was very good. Considering most tvs are smart these days and sky has the youtube app, it allows for the marathon to be on tv.

You can't jog through the national gallery, its not the done thing ðŸ˜. Can't understand how it was ok last year and not ok this year. The last thing you want post race is stuck in the rain. You'd catch your death.

Because health and safety changes and maybe they are planning on increasing the numbers so this was a good test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

As a spectator I wish they would put on more Luas trams considering the large crowd spectating.Every Carriage full heading into city center some people waiting up to an hour. I walked from Rialto to city center and then trying to get back to red cow was a nightmare.
    Will be bringing my bike up next year.. lots of first time spectators giving out yesterday that they couldn’t get to finish line or near finish line to watch family members cross the line. Don’t know why they were expecting to be allowed at anyway near the finish line.
    I think it’s was all run very well and my friends and family running it all had a great day... logistically it must be a nightmare to organize.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Because health and safety changes and maybe they are planning on increasing the numbers so this was a good test

I saw an interview with Jim Aughney on the 42.ie and he did indeed say that some changes were being implemented around the finish area with a few to increasing the capacity by a few hundred.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

There is talk of an increase to 22000 next year. Would guess the logistics would need the event to be trouble free from crowd management POV

Thats standard in all big international marathons. You surely would moan if u ran new york.

Sorry, but i cant think of another international marathon where you can park 300 yards from the finish line and where they are so lax about letting non competitors finish with competitors, not to mention run on the hard shoulder of one of the busiest national primary routes.

Sorry, but i cant think of another international marathon where you can park 300 yards from the finish line and where they are so lax about letting non competitors finish with competitors, not to mention run on the hard shoulder of one of the busiest national primary routes.

Wait you were talking about the finish area above, don't change the conversation.

What hard shoulder were you running on? Remember a bus lane but not hard shoulder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The booklet they gave out at the expo had a map of the finish area, and the exit points.

Advertisement