Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend folding bike for hills and uneven surface

Options
  • 21-10-2018 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Living in cork which is pretty hilly. Commute all year round so need something that's stable and safe in rain and potholes etc. Mostly I use a regular bike but about 5 times a month, have to get a taxi into work so need a folding bike i can bring in the taxi and cycle home with( half hour commute) . Am I better with a folder with regular sized tyres?
    The compactness isn't really an issue ( just needs to fit in a taxi boot).
    Be good if had small rolly wheels so weight not an issue when have to carry from taxi into the office.
    Speed of fold isn't that important as long as not frustrating( am clumsy as hell!)
    Looking a 6 speed Brompton but not sure how will cope with uneven road surfaces. Have cycle to work scheme so price isn't really an issue , once it serves my needs for the next 10 years

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Brompton certainly has the best reputation. I was looking at doing reasonable distances on a folder on rural roads awhile back and was very tempted by the Montague 700c wheel bikes. I also like the look of Change bikes, interesting review here. For a commute that's not too long, smaller wheel size will give you more convenience, but my personal preference would be for 650c or 700c wheels if I had the choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

smacl wrote:
    . I also like the look of Change bikes, interesting review
    Yeah they look great. Just need it to fold so can sit in boot of a taxi so folded size isn't that much an issue. Can't see where to buy in Ireland though, seem to only be distributed in USA and Taiwan and hong kong.
    Potholes are a really big priority for me, the roads in cork are so dangerous

seefin wrote: »
    Yeah they look great. Just need it to fold so can sit in boot of a taxi so folded size isn't that much an issue. Can't see where to buy in Ireland though, seem to only be distributed in USA and Taiwan and hong kong.
    Potholes are a really big priority for me, the roads in cork are so dangerous

Fitzcycles do Montague so they could be worth a shout. Not sure where else you'd get a folder with full size wheels here. There are other very cheap ones but I'd be highly dubious of them. I'd guess a Brompton on slightly wider tyres would be fine and know some people tour on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭homer911

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Hi

I am UK based but have got Dahon and Tern folding bikes

Tern Eclipse might be for you

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hmm they're pretty reasonable. Which would be the safest on potholes, the Carrera or Apollo ?
    Although they're 20kg so unless they have little wheels so can wheel along when folded, I'm afraid no good- am less than 50kg myself so no way id be able to carry from taxi into office

The giant halfway gets good reviews too..Meant to be like riding a regular bike

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Alternatively, you could request a wheelchair-adapted taxi. They'll fit a full size bike...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Alternatively, you could request a wheelchair-adapted taxi. They'll fit a full size bike...

Not sure if that is meant to be a joke, but hardly the purpose they are required for.

Let's just says that when I visited Dublin last year with a person in a electric wheelchair, we didnt see many of these taxis

Thanks

abarkie wrote: »
    Not sure if that is meant to be a joke, but hardly the purpose they are required for.

Let's just says that when I visited Dublin last year with a person in a electric wheelchair, we didnt see many of these taxis

Thanks

You have to order them specifically. We had to taxi my wife's mum to and from hospital a fair bit recently and did this. The wait can be longer if not pre-booked, so for the OP a decent folder might be handier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

abarkie wrote: »

Thanks

No, not a joke. There's a significant subsidy for the taxi owner to have a wheelchair adapted vehicle so I would have expected there would be more available than is needed just for wheelchair users. Perhaps not though.

OTOH I do see plenty of 6/8-person taxis about. These typically have foldup jumpseats and so room for a bike. That may be the type I was thinking of...

Update. Am pretty set on getting a giant halfway. Easy to fold, very light and meant to be really stable. Anyone know of a reason not to get?

Advertisement