Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ROS - death of assessed spouse

Options
  • 21-10-2018 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Last year I filed a joint 2016 tax return for my parents using ROS.
    The Tax Return was filed using my father's PPS.

My father died in December 2017. I now need to file a 2017 tax return.

Should I create a new ROS registration for my mother or should I continue to file under my father's PPS?
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

PMC999 wrote: »
    Last year I filed a joint 2016 tax return for my parents using ROS.
    The Tax Return was filed using my father's PPS.

My father died in December 2017. I now need to file a 2017 tax return.

Should I create a new ROS registration for my mother or should I continue to file under my father's PPS?
    Thanks

You should do a joint return that takes up the income up to the DOD. Then a return for your mother post DOD income up to 31/12/2017 under her PPS number.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PMC999

Happy4all wrote: »
    You should do a joint return that takes up the income up to the DOD. Then a return for your mother post DOD income up to 31/12/2017 under her PPS number.

Thanks. So I will need to request a new ROS registration for the period post death?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 arriba

PMC999 wrote: »
    Thanks. So I will need to request a new ROS registration for the period post death?

If your mother's only income is PAYE (ie private pension and/or state pension), she only needs the PAYE registration. You must make sure that she is registered as such. If she was never employed, the PAYE registration is set up by registering on myAccount.

If your mother's PPSN is the same as your father's plus W or SP, she would also need to apply for a new PPSN (from DSP) BEFORE registering for PAYE.

Advertisement