Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battery charger reccomendations

Options
  • 21-10-2018 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭

Was wondering what people are using for charging batteries?

I was going to get some radiator stats from tado which use 2 AA which would mean a lot of batteries anyone any recommendations for chargers? the more they can do the better

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Believe it or not, this is a super geeky and complicated topic, with websites dedicated to reviewing chargers in incredible detail!

A highly recommended charger, that is affordable and pretty easy to use and works well with NiMH batteries is the Panasonic BQ-CC17. The issue with it for us, is that it only comes with EU and US plugs, so you need to use a UK plug adaptor with it. You can find one here:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Panasonic-Eneloop-Advanced-Charger-4-AA-Rechargeable-batteries-1900mAh-BQ-CC17/112369481355?hash=item1a29be368b:g:Y9EAAOSw4CFY74OL

I've a more expensive charger, but probably overkill for most. It is actually starting to die, so I might replace it with the above.

BTW note that this isn't a fast charger, it takes about 7 hours to charge, but that is a good thing for battery health.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

bk wrote: »
    Believe it or not, this is a super geeky and complicated topic, with websites dedicated to reviewing chargers in incredible detail!

A highly recommended charger, that is affordable and pretty easy to use and works well with NiMH batteries is the Panasonic BQ-CC17. The issue with it for us, is that it only comes with EU and US plugs, so you need to use a UK plug adaptor with it. You can find one here:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Panasonic-Eneloop-Advanced-Charger-4-AA-Rechargeable-batteries-1900mAh-BQ-CC17/112369481355?hash=item1a29be368b:g:Y9EAAOSw4CFY74OL

I've a more expensive charger, but probably overkill for most. It is actually starting to die, so I might replace it with the above.

BTW note that this isn't a fast charger, it takes about 7 hours to charge, but that is a good thing for battery health.

Thanks BK, I've picked up the panasonic above

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

FWIW Eneloops and Ikeas own brand cells are basically identical but the price is about 2x for Eneloops. They're great cells so its worth calling into them if near Ballymun.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ED E wrote: »
    FWIW Eneloops and Ikeas own brand cells are basically identical but the price is about 2x for Eneloops. They're great cells so its worth calling into them if near Ballymun.

Yep, they are great, I've been picking up the Ikea ones for years. Unfortunately though the Ikea chargers are only ok, despite the 12 bay one looking very cool, a pity.

BTW As an aside, this Ikea USB charger is great and highly recommended:

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/smart-home-appliances/cables-chargers/koppla-3-port-usb-charger-white-art-40415031/

Cheap price, good specs and most importantly a pretty famous electrical engineer on youtube took it apart and found it to be built to a very high and safe quality, compared to some cheap Chinese chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭sioda

bk wrote: »
    Yep, they are great, I've been picking up the Ikea ones for years. Unfortunately though the Ikea chargers are only ok, despite the 12 bay one looking very cool, a pity.

BTW As an aside, this Ikea USB charger is great and highly recommended:

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/smart-home-appliances/cables-chargers/koppla-3-port-usb-charger-white-art-40415031/

Cheap price, good specs and most importantly a pretty famous electrical engineer on youtube took it apart and found it to be built to a very high and safe quality, compared to some cheap Chinese chargers.
    That ikea charger is the job keep meaning to get another one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

While we're going aside if you need a portable charger (say for a wireless mouse, bike light etc) these Olight units are great. Obviously not for large volumes but great for at your desk stuff. Much neater than a Nightcore.

Lithium and NIMHs in one. 500mA peak output.

https://olightworld.com/batteries-and-chargers/battery-chargers/olight-uc-magnetic-usb-charger

ED E wrote: »

Very cool, thanks, will be a good addition to my hiking bag.

Ikea has something similar, but more bulky for €2, I wouldn't use it for day to day use, but handy for emergency use in the desk at a cheap price.

Advertisement