Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Premises Rental Advice

Options
  • 21-10-2018 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi All.

A few days ago our security company sent us CCTV footage of our office landlord entering the premises, moving a CCTV camera on the stairs towards the wall in order to hide his identity, damaging the housing in the process, and then proceeded to enter our locked offices, and took a good snoop through various invoices etc that were on one of the desks.

When confronted, he said he entered the premises because a fire alarm was going off, yet our BMS shows there was no event, and also, there are 2 directors and a key holder who get email/text notifications of any of these events... how do you think we found out he was on the premises...

What would be your advice on how to proceed with this, naturally I would like to avoid having him arrested (I don't think that's going to be good for our lease) But There are grounds for criminal damage re the CCTV camera, but the trespass into a locked office is unquestionable, there are serious confidentiality issues as a result of his actions.

TIA.

BG18

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

if he's 'adjusting' a cctv camera then its clear he knows he's doing wrong. I would advise all staff to keep any documentation hidden, plus put up your own cctv that faces the office door the landlord entered, possibly get an alarm if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I think it’s a trip to the solicitor.

What are the broad terms of your lease? How long? Who is responsible for rent and repair?

If you do not have long term rights here I would be inclined to take the first steps to getting ready to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 businessguy18

if he's 'adjusting' a cctv camera then its clear he knows he's doing wrong. I would advise all staff to keep any documentation hidden, plus put up your own cctv that faces the office door the landlord entered, possibly get an alarm if possible.

Adjusting the CCTV camera was from the stairwell to the wall, on leaving he readjusted it back to its original setting, of sorts.

It was the CCTV camera pointing to the door that caught him in the office and rummaging through the documentation.

Luckily there was no names or anything on the invoices, we have all printed paperwork anonymised as per GDPR (We are a technology company)

Also, the CCTV was installed by us, so the LL had absolutely no right to adjust it.

His facial expression prior to moving it towards the wall indicated he knew he was doing wrong, and was effectively caught in the act. but I dont think he even saw the office CCTV camera.

Anyway, both videos have been pulled from the DVR by the security company and are marked as evidence.

only im slightly confused how to proceed.

In terms of the contract, there are no terms or covenants that allow him enter the offices, effectively, it only allows him enter the front door, but not locked offices.

BG18

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Talk to your solicitor. You have a right of quiet enjoyment. He was a trespasser.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭enricoh

I'm not usually inclined with solicitors n court but in this case I would.
    Are ye up to date with the rent? If ye are maybe he was mooching to try n see what profits yer making n see what rent increase u could afford.

• Advertisement

enricoh wrote: »
    Are ye up to date with the rent? If ye are maybe he was mooching to try n see what profits yer making n see what rent increase u could afford.

No issues with rent, paid 3 months in advance.

i cant believe he did this, i mean he has no respect for privacy, for staff or clients.

I've asked the staff to audit the stock also vs invoices incoming and outgoing, just on the off chance that theres something missing.

Trespass was something i NEVER would've believed only I saw it with my own 2 eyes. But opening my office, and rummaging through stuff on desks... theres serious implications as a result of that surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

No issues with rent, paid 3 months in advance.

i cant believe he did this, i mean he has no respect for privacy, for staff or clients.

I've asked the staff to audit the stock also vs invoices incoming and outgoing, just on the off chance that theres something missing.

Trespass was something i NEVER would've believed only I saw it with my own 2 eyes. But opening my office, and rummaging through stuff on desks... theres serious implications as a result of that surely.

Sinister enough, obviously something up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I think you have to protect yourself here firstly

You say there was no identifiable information around - not knowing what business you are dong is it possible it could be something your LL is involved in and he was looking for some "insider" information. Don't want to be hit by the data protection commissioner because information got leaked

Certainly wouldn't be taking it lightly and looking for somewhere else to rent

fritzelly wrote: »
    I think you have to protect yourself here firstly

You say there was no identifiable information around - not knowing what business you are dong is it possible it could be something your LL is involved in and he was looking for some "insider" information. Don't want to be hit by the data protection commissioner because information got leaked

Certainly wouldn't be taking it lightly and looking for somewhere else to rent

I can guarantee no information would be leaked.

I have checked all the paperwork and beyond a few anonymised Invoices (clients information anonymised) there wasnt much more

Also, we would be miles apart in terms of businesses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

This is a case of breaking & entering. Go straight to gards. If you let this go it could be worse the next time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Speak to a solicitor... get a letter issued to him.

Change the intruder alarm codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

Doop wrote: »
    Speak to a solicitor... get a letter issued to him.

Change the intruder alarm codes.

+1

Can you change the door locks to your offices so that only you have the keys? This would seem to be a reasonable response in light of the landlords actions, however you need to be guided by a solicitor because it could raise other issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

That was my first thought when reading the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

tradesman wrote: »
    This is a case of breaking & entering. Go straight to gards. If you let this go it could be worse the next time

I'm not sure about this, the landlord owns the premises and leases it out so is it really breaking and entering? The Guards might take the approach that its a 'civil matter'

The OP doesn't mention how the landlord got in...did he have a key?

Another question for the OP; is the landlord the owner of the property or is he a director a company that owns it?

Advertisement