Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Start your own business relief?

• 21-10-2018 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,
    Does anyone know how the start your own business relief is calculated?
    Lets say the full amount for the year (on 40,000), using the calculator on the virtual accountant site for a quick estimate here:
    PAYE tax on 40,000 would be €9,090.00

Should I presume it's basically setting tax credits to 9090 for the year to give you relief on the 40,000? How does tax work after that? Is there still a standard allowance (disregarding the first 40,000, then 34550 on the standard rate, before hitting the higher rate) , etc? Or is everything after that 40,000 automatically on the higher rate?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38 spoiler

From my reading on revenue.ie my understanding is as follows:

Relief available for 24 mths amount available for income tax exemption is 40,000 ie if you started business on 01.01.2017 and made a 30,000 profit all of this would be exempt from income tax but you would have to pay PRSI and USC on it. It's only available if you are self employed ie not a company. You need to have been unemployed for a year.

Advertisement