Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entitlements in a share?

Options
  • 22-10-2018 4:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi guys

Single male sharing a duplex apartment with a married couple and their 4 year old.

No contract signed, it's on a month by month basis. Rent is 850 a month and then bills are split.

When I moved in they made me give 900 deposit and 850 rent.

Couple of observations:

There were zero appliances, minimal furniture and basics like tv and broadband.

There is about 14 storage presses in kitchen yet they've give me 4 small ones under the sink (I'm 6'2 and bending over all the time isn't ideal)

They've gone to India for a month and hid and put away everything (cutlery, plates, kettle, iron, microwave, pots etc)

Have I a right to feel aggrieved?

I spend all my time at groundfloor level of the duplex as I have it to myself and it feels like a separate apartment having my own large balcony, large en suite etc (ended up bringing my own smart tv, ordered broadband, kitted my room out in brand new Ikea stuff).

Maybe it's just in their culture (they're Indian) so keep their stuff to themselves (probably mean and frugal people) but I feel like I'm getting a raw deal and am walking on eggshells trying to use the kitchen (the wife spends all the time sitting at the kitchen counter)

Should I speak up?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Mandown

Speak up if its annoying you you're paying your way and entitled to use the kitchen anytime you want

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Do you let them use your WiFi?

If there is no contract signed does this mean you are not getting any tax relief or they are not paying tax on the rental income?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Mandown wrote: »
    .....entitled to use the kitchen anytime you want

In the absence of a contract I doubt he’s entitled to anything.

OP it sounds like you have a relatively decent setup that many would kill for, for the price you’re paying. If it’s bothering you so much the simple answer is to move out.

To be honest I’m suspicious that this is a troll (complaining about bending over to reach a cupboard, mildly racist undertones to post).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If there is no contract signed does this mean you are not getting any tax relief or they are not paying tax on the rental income?

Tax relief on what?

Sounds more like a rent a room arrangement so probably no tax payable by the couple.

OP it depends on your status. If you are in rent a room situation you have minimal rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

RAR, put up or move out I'm afriad OP.

As rent a room they's be nuts to give you anything but a list of rules in writing, they're just giving you rights you don't already have.

• Advertisement
Advertisement