Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours Selling Cars

Options
  • 22-10-2018 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

My wife and I have recently discovered that the neighbours of a house we intend to buy are selling cars from their driveway.

It is a nice, quiet area but when we pulled up over the weekend they had 6 cars around their property for sale.

Should this be a major concern?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Can you answer your own question?
    Will it affect YOU?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

RisingDamp wrote: »
    My wife and I have recently discovered that the neighbours of a house we intend to buy are selling cars from their driveway.

It is a nice, quiet area but when we pulled up over the weekend they had 6 cars around their property for sale.

Should this be a major concern?

Well the only person who can answer that is you.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭yellow76

If it was me, my concern there would be lack of parking for residents, and noise from revving/test drives. I'd be concerned if any work is being done on cars in the driveway, it could lead to lots of noise and dirt. Also, so many cars in and out if you have small children it could be an issue.

Is this property registered for Commercial use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Quick call to revenue would sort it out,
    However, your starting a long term relationship on a very bad foot.

If your serious of the buy, pop into them for a chat (Just a hello, we might be new here), dont bring up the cars, I'd put money on it they probably will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

One of the people across from us trades in cars but only one max two at a time and only for he told me you'd never know. Six at a time could be an issue but it would be a case of do I want to buy the house or walk away I wouldn't get involved in it or reporting it to revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 jellybellyelly

A guy a few doors down from us used to do this and the length of the road always was littered with cars he was valeting/selling etc. At the time we explored reporting him but in the end (as we were renting) it was one of the reasons we moved. I'd think long and hard about buying if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

if its not causing parking problems leave it be, probably trying to build up momentum to have money to rent a premises. Working even on your own car in a driveway isn't illegal so I don't see the issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

This is the same issue that we had where we used to live. The man at the end of the cul-de-sac started off with one or two cars on his driveway to sell. Then he built a massive shed to accommodate his business. This stayed up for two years until the council exhausted the unauthorised development route & he had to take it down.
    He now has up to 6 or 7 cars on his driveway with cars parked up on the footpath, associated noise from the repairs, it’s difficult to exit the cul-de-sac safely because of parked cars and at times he even has a large tow truck parked up on the cul-de-sac. I’m glad I moved - it was irritating when I lived there & it’s far worse now.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

I wouldn't buy it, probably one of the reasons they are selling!!

House down the road from me was/is doing similar, taking up loads of parking, one of the other neighbors reported it to some department and Garda, the Gards said nothing illegal about parking cars on a public road unless not taxed so that was a route she went down reported all the untaxed vehicles and they got towed, I don't know what happened after that but he got the message and he must be parking them elsewhere now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

if its not causing parking problems leave it be, probably trying to build up momentum to have money to rent a premises. Working even on your own car in a driveway isn't illegal so I don't see the issue with it.

or he works in the trade and these are the trade ins that don't make it to the forecourt..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

6 or 7 cars. I hope your joking.

Regardless of what he is probably doing, he cannot run a commercial auto business from a residential house without planning permission.

There's a difference on working on your own car in your own driveway and running a fixer up business using the road as a parking lot. This is all done at the expense of the neighbourhood amenity. If room for 6 7 cars is constantly required, well theres a place for that.

Jesus some people would put up with other jerks walking all over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

STB. wrote: »
    6 or 7 cars. I hope your joking.

Regardless of what he is probably doing, he cannot run a commercial auto business from a residential house without planning permission.

There's a difference on working on your own car in your own driveway and running a fixer up business using the road as a parking lot. This is all done at the expense of the neighbourhood amenity. If room for 6 7 cars is constantly required, well theres a place for that.

Jesus some people would put up with other jerks walking all over them.

nobody talked about how many are on the driveway, if theres 4 on the driveway and 2 on the road then thats alright, if all 6 are on the road then of course theres an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

nobody talked about how many are on the driveway, if theres 4 on the driveway and 2 on the road then thats alright, if all 6 are on the road then of course theres an issue.

Think you need to reread what I posted.

It was you who introduced "sure its okay to work on your own car in your own driveway".

Constantly working on different cars in your driveway and having them for sale on your road requires planning permission.

Which brings me to another point. The OP says that there were 6 cars around the property for sale. It is an offence under the Road Traffic Act to park a car on a road for the purposes of selling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

I don't think that you can run a business from a residential home so that might be worth having a look in to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Might come in handy if you need a runner down the line.

Advertisement