Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Madeleine McCann

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

She wandered out herself, something happened (car accident/paedo)
    Perhaps we can move on from this bathing discussion, it's going nowhere and I can just sense trouble coming from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

OwlsZat wrote: »
    Anyone got a link to the phone records altering, the records of these specific dogs or the back story that Madeline was a somewhat difficult child.

Here's Gerry McCanns phone (Number ending 188) record from 2nd May 2007 to 4 May 2007

Nothing sinster here

OA_11_VOD_Page_037.jpg

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

It is probably most likely that she caught someones eye and a decision was made to take her.

The only thing about this is Kate Mc Cann shouting "they have taken her", ie the immediate assumption that she didnt wander out the door herself. Even more bizarre is Kate Mc Cann leaving her two infant children in that apartment when she is screaming that someone has taken her eldest child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Nothing sinster here

Why would there be? It's calls/messages received and made no logs or message details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

tretorn wrote: »
    I certainly dont see it as paedophilia or sexual abuse but its another indication that the Mc Canns were careless with their children. Most parents dont allow men to bathe their children, its an unnecessary risk so why do it when you could just as easily take care of your own children.

But you keep repeating this as if it was an established fact.
    Can you provide the evidence that the McCann's were taking this 'unnecessary risk'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Nicely played MonkieSocks. I'm not sure how so many of these tales grow legs... That's another myth debunked.

On the other concerns I listed. It's a pity the FOI on the dogs was denied, although the fact that one alerted once and not the other time in the same places asks questions in itself. The back story on Madeline was difficult, I'm not sure who would be brave enough to run that story...

The fact that Kate and Jerry had IVF to conceive Madeline makes giving her away for being difficult almost impossible for me to comprehend. Accidental death is a stretch but murder/giving her way for me is just totally out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

<mod snip>bathing talk</mod snip>

Wombatman wrote: »
    I found the bit where the dog finds the teddy in the press a bit odd.

It seemed to be the only item in there.

Why was it left there with nothing else? Looked like a bit of a staged find to me.

@ 0.56 Eddie is in Bedroom, goes into wardrobe and indicates nothing.
    No Sign of Cuddle Cat

@ 1.46 sitting room, Eddie pulls out Cuddle Cat
    ( Does not Bark/Alert to scent )

@1.54 Eddie has dragged Cuddle Cat To the middle of the floor

@ 2.03 Eddie walks by Cuddle Cat a few times:

@ 2.23 We are back in the same Bedroom as above.

@2.59 MAN opens wardrobe door, Eddie enters.

@ 3.20 Eddie exits wardrobe;

@ 3.23 MAN opens wardrobe further and shows that Cuddle cat is there. :eek:
    ( Eddie did not Bark/Alert to scent )

@ 3.42 Kitchen and Eddie……. Alerts.

@4.48 We are back in the same Bedroom as above.

@ 5.08 Man opens wardrobe for Eddie. No alert

@5.44 back in Kitchen

@ 5.51 Man picks Cuddle Cat out of kitchen cupboard and hold it up for camera

So Eddie didn’t alert to Cuddle Cat three times in the sitting room.

He didn’t alert to Cuddle Cat in the bedroom wardrobe.

And then alerted to Cuddle Cat in the kitchen

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Something Else
    Why would there be? It's calls/messages received and made no logs or message details.

What is relevant is that these logs had to be requested from various phone companies because Gerry and Kate had wiped their phones up to and including the day of Madeleines disappearance. This took time. The parents have never explained this why they did so. If they had nothing to hide - why make this an issue at all?

The problem was that at least some of the listed numbers had either changed ownership or were no longer used and impossible to follow up. I read a case file on this and the logistics of this search especially the international numbers were extremely difficult.

The parents certainly did not make it easy to for the police to easily eliminate their activities from their enquiries. Why the fek would anyone do this and tie up police time is beyond me ...

Have you a reliable link to where it was said calls were deleted.

Offical Police link please, No blogs as they are not offical sources

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote:
    The parents certainly did not make it easy to for the police to easily eliminate their activities from their enquiries. Why the fek would anyone do this and tie up police time is beyond me ...

To my mind they had no interest in helping the police.

gozunda wrote: »
    What is relevant is that these logs had to be requested from various phone companies because Gerry and Kate had wiped their phones up to and including the day of Madeleines disappearance. This took time. The parents have never explained this why they did so. If they had nothing to hide - why make this an issue at all?

Is there proof of this somewhere? Updated with link.

https://jillhavern.forumotion.net/t611-the-deleted-phone-records-where-was-kate-mccann

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Re: About the McCanns having a lack of empathy, their body language etc.

Have to agree with the previous poster who talked about the scene in the doc where Kate breaks down in private after the cameras stop recording their appeal. If she was involved in Madeline's disappearance and those were crocodile tears she needs an Oscar because that was brilliant acting.

Something Else
    I agree with Suzie putting her in a bin the way the events took place makes zero sense. Especially if its as cold and calculated as made out.

I don't necessarily believe that the bins were used for the disposal of a body. However that doesnt change the fact that the bins couldn't have all been thoroughly checked before they were emptied between 12.00 and 4.00am the next morning.

Theoretically a bin could make a easy place to hide a body temporarily. And before this idea is jumped on by going on about a largely unsupported timeline or the parents wot did / didn't do it - whoever may have killed the child (if indeed she was killed then) may well have just been lucky in deciding to do so or indeed may have panicked and used the bins because they were the closest things to hand.

Presuming that a bin was used only temporarily and the body hidden under rubbish then moved early in the morning or picked up by the waste disposal company - then no one would have been any the wiser and the search dogs would have detected nothing. Is it incredible that this might have happened? Yes. Is it possible? Yes it is imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Accident happened, parents hid body
    <mod snip>rabble rabble rabble about bathing</mod snip>

<mod snip>rabble rabble rabble about bathing</mod snip>

Something Else

Theres a whole raft of information etc on the PJ Files site. I really dont like that theres always a small cohort holding up signs saying 'nothing to see here - move along' tbh.

I just cannot get my head around the behaviour of the parents in relation to this tbh. I could say more but I'd probably get shot down in a hail of bullets tbh - I'll keep my own counsel

Is there any actual evidence that they even did what they are being accused of? I'm coming up empty.[/QUOTE]

The Gasper family statement ,
    I put it up for you but a mod took it down, no idea why ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

tretorn wrote: »
    It is probably most likely that she caught someones eye and a decision was made to take her.

The only thing about this is Kate Mc Cann shouting "they have taken her", ie the immediate assumption that she didnt wander out the door herself. Even more bizarre is Kate Mc Cann leaving her two infant children in that apartment when she is screaming that someone has taken her eldest child.

It was possibly as long as two hours before Kate said that. The first Thing she seems to have said is 'she's gone'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

cnocbui wrote: »
    It was possibly as long as two hours before Kate said that. The first Thing she seems to have said is 'she's gone'.

Wheres your source for this please? Many many sources say she said it from the very beginning:confused:

• Advertisement

Theres a whole raft of information etc on the PJ Files site.

Direct link to the page on the PJ site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Something Else
    tretorn wrote:

Presumably, she was not carrying a mobile phone and having run outside found nobody in the immediate vicinity of the apartment who she could have called for help. So what else could she have done? Try to rouse the sleeping twins and carry them back to the restaurant? It seems likely as well that her screams may not have been heard by the others who were at a distance of seven hundred metres away.

Steve F wrote: »
    Wheres your source for this please? Many many sources say she said it from the very beginning:confused:
    1485 "No' That's okay. Can you recall shortly after that she went running off to the apartment block and she was saying they've taken her''
    Reply "Mm.'

1485 "Is that what you said''
    Reply "Mm, yes.'

1485 "She's taken, they've taken her''
    Reply "She, you know, obviously there's what we've talked about when, you know, it's portrayed in the press about what she said, they've taken her, and that was definitely not, and that was, you know, or unanimous across everyone we'd all said that was not what she first of all said, you know, she's gone was you know the first words that she said.'

1485 "She first said that she's gone''
    Reply "She's gone.'

'And what did she say when she came back''

' 'She's gone Gerry, Madeleine's gone', I'm hundred per cent about that'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

Something Else
    The bit about the halibut? I could only find that in a long clip so had to do with this one sorry! lol.

The "Even if someone DOES say Jehovah" bit! :)

Steve F wrote: »
    David told British police in 2008 that Kate had first told the group, "she's gone" when she came back to the restaurant from checking on her three children.

Kate later said, "they've taken her, they've taken her", according to David's testimony.
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/who-tapas-7-mccanns-friends-14135573

I think the assumption later - that she had been taken - after 90 minutes of searching - was not an unreasonable conclusion. If she was aware Madeleine couldn't open the sliding door on her own, and she had searched the apartment, then I don't find anything unreasonable about her reasoning even if she had said that sooner.

Why are you asking me?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭corminators

Direct link to the page on the PJ site

http://bfy.tw/Mucr

Something Else
    Just saw an article in the Sun from yesterday looks like Gerry and Kate will have to pay G Amarals legal costs after they lost their libel case against him. Another 33k out the find Madeline fund I presume.

Thank goodness they have their mortgage paid off.

Just saw an article in the Sun from yesterday looks like Gerry and Kate will have to pay G Amarals legal costs after they lost their libel case against him. Another 33k out the find Madeline fund I presume.

Why presume it? Why not look up the accounts of the fund. Then you could post fact, rather than speculation.

• Advertisement

Thats a no so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Creol1 wrote: »
    Thank goodness they have their mortgage paid off.

They didn't pay off their mortgage using the fund, if that's what you're implying.

Something Else
    Re: About the McCanns having a lack of empathy, their body language etc.

Have to agree with the previous poster who talked about the scene in the doc where Kate breaks down in private after the cameras stop recording their appeal. If she was involved in Madeline's disappearance and those were crocodile tears she needs an Oscar because that was brilliant acting.

If she was involved in her disappearance it doesn't necessarily follow they were crocodile tears. If Madeleine died accidentally I am sure they would still have been upset but they might have concluded that as there was nothing to do to bring her back, they had better fake an abduction rather than plead guilty to manslaughter/negligence and ruin their careers.

I'm not necessarily saying this is what happened (although it seems to be the conclusion the Portuguese Police formed); the point is that one can reach the conclusion that her parents were involved without necessarily holding that they were cold, calculating killers.

MD1990 wrote: »
    I'm convinced McCann's know what happened

too many coincidences

- Dogs identifying blood in the rental car
    - Timeline of night inconsistent
    - Public interviews little empathy for Madeleine. Always trying to prove an abduction. Body language very suspiscious.
    - Phone records cleared or altered
    - Would not take Lie Detector test

There was no blood found in the rental car.
    Retired London Metropolitan Police detective....Sutton said there are always inconsistencies when police interview a group of people about a single event.
    https://www.9news.com.au/2019/03/12/11/39/madeleine-mccann-reconstruction-may-3-answer-what-happened-maddie-podcast

This looks like grief, to me.

Kate-Mc-Cann-Grief.jpg

If you knew, that you had nothing to do with the disappearance of your child, you would know she had been abducted and would be trying to urge the authorities to base the investigation on that.

Lie detectors are quackery - I would never volunteer to take one:
    Interestingly, the polygraph is quite good at identifying liars but does no better than chance at detecting honest people according to Lykken. In other words, there is a 50:50 chance that a polygraph test will say an honest person is lying (a 50 percent “false positive” rate).
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-human-beast/201303/do-lie-detectors-work

Creol1 wrote: »
    If she was involved in her disappearance it doesn't necessarily follow they were crocodile tears. If Madeleine died accidentally I am sure they would still have been upset but they might have concluded that as there was nothing to do to bring her back, they had better fake an abduction rather than plead guilty to manslaughter/negligence and ruin their careers.

I'm not necessarily saying this is what happened (although it seems to be the conclusion the Portuguese Police formed); the point is that one can reach the conclusion that her parents were involved without necessarily holding that they were cold, calculating killers.

Kate hasn't worked a single day since Madeleine disappeared, she doesn't seem remotely concerned about her career.
    I believe in one of her last interviews she said she had no plans to go back to work at all.
    Not really the actions of someone who committed an unforgivable crime to "save" their career, but that's just my take on it.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    They didn't pay off their mortgage using the fund, if that's what you're implying.

Honest question but I found the below on line was it found out to be untrue ?

"The parents of missing Madeleine McCann repaid two instalments of their mortgage with money from the fund set up to help find her, their spokesman confirmed on Tuesday" Clarence Mitchell said: "The fund has always had the ability to assist the family financially if necessary

This was reported back in 2007 , Its strange because it says they stopped using the cash when they where made suspects ,

So how did they use it ? Was it there own money in the fund ?

Im asking the question cause iv no idea what happened here with this ,

• Advertisement

Honest question but I found the below on line was it found out to be untrue ?

"The parents of missing Madeleine McCann repaid two instalments of their mortgage with money from the fund set up to help find her, their spokesman confirmed on Tuesday" Clarence Mitchell said: "The fund has always had the ability to assist the family financially if necessary

This was reported back in 2007 , Its strange because it says they stopped using the cash when they where made suspects ,

So how did they use it ? Was it there own money in the fund ?

Im asking the question cause iv no idea what happened here with this ,

I think it means exactly what it says. It was used to do two monthly mortgage payments, to the tune of about £2k I believe (open to correction).
    They stopped using it because they came back to the UK. They were still in Portugal when payments were made.

The rest was used on PI's, detectives, media campaigns and PR. I don't think any of it is unaccounted for.

If you believe Kate was abused (unsubstantiated) from the language analysis then it's also known that abused children are far more likely to become abuser adults. We also know that the first child is compared to making your first pancake. It's where you make all your mistakes and hope for the best in the result. They both described Madeline as a "shouter" and the evidence is that she cried for her Dad not her mother for an hour and 15 minutes on Tuesday 1st May. That strikes me as very unusual but others will know better.

Then the subplot of how Gerry McCann invited the hotel aerobics instructor to join their dinner table and on the same night Kate wasn't there and slept in the spare room... when Madeline was heard calling for her Dad. The very next morning Kate is on the phone to her friend Amanda at 7.36.41 and again 4 seconds later at 7.36.45. That's very early for a double call.

Who is Amanda and what do we think Kate wanted? Can't believe all these people weren't traced to give statements. Man advice on what to do with her husband? Sounds like they were having a full blown domestic and Madeline preferred her Dad. Is that the reason they wanted to delete all the calls/messages?

Something Else
    SusieBlue wrote: »

McCanns defend using public fund to pay mortgage
    Andrew Hough

LONDON (Reuters) - The parents of missing Madeleine McCann repaid two instalments of their mortgage with money from the fund set up to help find her, their spokesman confirmed on Tuesday.

Kate McCann, the mother of missing girl Madeleine McCann, leaves the Catholic Church of Sacred Heart in Rothley September 23, 2007. Madeleine's parents repaid two instalments of their mortgage with money from the fund set up to help find her, their spokesman confirmed on Tuesday. REUTERS/Darren Staples

But Kate and Gerry McCann stopped taking money from the one million pound “Find Madeleine” fund after they were made official suspects, Clarence Mitchell said.

He was speaking after media reports on Tuesday that the couple made two 2,000-pound repayments on their 460,000-pound detached house in Rothley, Leicestershire with fund money.

He confirmed the couple made two repayments in July and August, but defended their motives.

The primary objective of the fund, a not-for-profit company, was to help efforts to find Madeleine, but it can also provide financial support for her parents to cope with the stress, he said.

The couple have not worked since the young girl disappeared in Praia da Luz, Portugal, in May, just before her fourth birthday.

Mitchell said once they were made official suspects in the case, they stopped using the fund for mortgage repayments.

It was a mutual decision with the fund, after they conceded they would not be entitled to the money, he said.

Mitchell confirmed that because of their financial predicament, Gerry McCann, 39, will return to work as a consultant cardiologist at Glenfield Hospital in Leicester on Thursday.

It remains unclear what his wife, also 39, will do after reports said she was unlikely return to work as a locum GP.

“Gerry is about to go back to work quite soon and his financial position will improve on a personal level and hopefully they won’t need to ask the fund for any further assistance in future,” Mitchell told Sky News.

“But I do hope that people who have contributed to it do understand that their monies are being channelled towards finding Madeleine in every form and part of that is to help the family cope in this time of stress.

“How would you feel, losing your child and then potentially losing your house on top of that?”

The six-month anniversary since Madeleine went missing falls on Saturday and Mitchell said the couple would be attending a church service in their home town.

“It will be a quiet day, quite low key with a number of religious services,” he said. “As Gerry often says to me: it is just another day without Madeleine.”

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-mcanns/mccanns-defend-using-public-fund-to-pay-mortgage-idUKL3080452520071030

McCanns used £1m fund to pay mortgage
    By Caroline Gammell12:01AM GMT 30 Oct 2007
    The parents of Madeleine McCann have used the £1 million fighting fund set up to help find their daughter to pay off part of their mortgage, it has emerged.

Six months without Madeleine
    The Madeleine McCann case in full
    Neither Kate nor Gerry McCann have worked since their four-year-old disappeared in Praia da Luz in May.

It is understood they asked for money to pay their £2,000 monthly re-payments in July and August, but did not apply for any more - nor were they given any - after they were made suspects in their daughter's case in September.

The couple's spokesman Clarence Mitchell said nothing untoward had taken place.

"The fund was set up first and foremost to find Madeleine and the vast majority of the money has been spent on that," he said.

"But before they were made arguidos they were assisted with two mortgage repayment and the money was legally dispensed.

"Neither Kate nor Gerry had worked since May and as a result money was getting tight.

"As soon as they were made suspects, neither the fund nor Kate and Gerry thought it was appropriate to ask for a penny more.

"Gerry will go back to work this week, so this situation hopefully will not arise again."

Mr McCann will return to work on Thursday, although he is only going back for three and a half days a week to start with and will not have direct contact with patients until he and his NHS trust employers feel he is ready.

The couple, both 39, have received support from well-known backers including Virgin Boss Sir Richard Branson, who paid £100,000 to kickstart the legal fund to clear their names, and millionaire entrepreneur Brian Kennedy, who is paying Mr Mitchell's salary.

The Find Madeleine fun has spent approximately £300,000 of the £1, 095, 223 donated by the public.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1567856/McCanns-used-1m-fund-to-pay-mortgage.html

McCanns used fund to pay mortgage

Kate and Gerry McCann outside their house in Rothley

McCanns' spokesman
    The fighting fund set up to help find Madeleine McCann was used by her parents to make two mortgage payments, their spokesman has said.
    Clarence Mitchell said: "The fund has always had the ability to assist the family financially if necessary."

He said Kate and Gerry McCann stopped using the fund in September when they were made formal suspects in the case.

Four-year-old Madeleine, from Rothley, Leicestershire, vanished from her holiday apartment in Portugal on 3 May.
    On Saturday, her family will hold a church service to mark six months since she was last seen in the Algarve resort of Praia da Luz.

Mr McCann wrote in his latest internet diary entry: "We will be marking this milestone very quietly with an ecumenical prayer service for Madeleine and other missing children in the local Anglican church."

'Changed status'

According to the Find Madeleine website, the fund has so far received more than £1million in donations.

At its launch, Madeleine's uncle John McCann said: "This fund will be a vehicle to help our family get our darling, wee niece back."

Mr Mitchell said Mr and Mrs McCann began using it earlier this year to help pay their mortgage.

"When they were made arguido [suspects], it stopped, which was a mutual decision on the part of the fund and the McCanns," he said.

Sketch
    The McCanns have released a sketch of a male suspect
    "They were happy to accept that their changed status meant they were no longer entitled to that assistance."

Meanwhile, it has been confirmed that Mr McCann, 39, will return to his job as a consultant cardiologist at Leicester's Glenfield Hospital on Thursday.

It is understood he will initially work three half-days each week and will not have any direct contact with patients until his employers feel he is ready.

He and Mrs McCann, 39, who is a GP, have been on unpaid leave since Madeleine disappeared.

Elsewhere, it has been reported that private investigators from the Spanish detective agency hired by the McCanns have found another blonde girl who they believe has been kidnapped.

Sources at the Metodo 3 agency reportedly claim Interpol is investigating the discovery of the girl living in the Rif mountains in northern Morocco.

The Daily Mirror newspaper also claimed that the new Portuguese officer leading the hunt for Madeleine, Paulo Rebelo, spent three hours examining the McCanns' holiday apartment on Monday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk/7068760.stm

McCanns used Madeleine fund to pay mortgage
    Fred Attewill and agencies

Tue 30 Oct 2007 12.36 GMT

Madeleine McCann's parents used the £1m fund set up to help find her to pay their mortgage, it has been confirmed.
    Gerry and Kate McCann, who have been on unpaid leave since Madeleine disappeared almost six months ago, used the money to make two mortgage payments on their home in Leicestershire.

Clarence Mitchell, the family's official spokesman, said: "The fund has always had the ability to assist the family financially if necessary, and they've only used it to pay for two mortgage payments earlier this year.

"When they were made arguido [official suspects], it stopped, which was a mutual decision on the part of the fund and the McCanns - they were happy to accept that their changed status meant they were no longer entitled to that assistance."

On the Find Madeleine website, the fund lists one of its purposes as to "support the family".

It has also emerged that Portuguese police have staged a re-enactment of how a possible abductor could have taken Madeleine from the family's holiday apartment in Praia da Luz on May 3.

The detective in charge of the case, Paulo Rebelo, was yesterday photographed at the flat examining the scene with colleagues.

Mr Mitchell said Mr and Mrs McCann welcomed the renewed focus on the theory that their daughter was abducted.

Mr Mitchell yesterday also issued a statement on behalf of friends of the McCanns who were on holiday with them at the resort, denying they have entered into a "pact of silence" to protect the couple.

The so-called "tapas seven", who had dinner with the McCanns on the night their daughter vanished, have been the subject of media reports suggesting they are withholding vital clues from police.

The friends said: "We wish to state that there is categorically no 'pact of silence' or indeed anything secretive between us - just the desire to assist the search for Madeleine.

"This is reflected in us saying and doing nothing that could in any way hinder the investigations now under way."

Mr McCann is due to return to work as a consultant cardiologist at Glenfield hospital in Leicester on Thursday.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/oct/30/ukcrime.madeleinemccann

Madeleine’s parents used fund to pay mortgage
    Wednesday, October 31, 2007

THE fund to support the search for Madeleine McCann was used by her parents to make two mortgage payments.

A spokesman for Gerry and Kate McCann confirmed money sent to help efforts to find their missing daughter had been used for their housing costs.

Clarence Mitchell said: “The fund has always had the ability to assist the family financially if necessary, and they’ve only used it to pay for two mortgage payments, earlier this year.

“When they were made arguido [suspects], it stopped, which was amutual decision on the part of the fund and the McCanns — they were happy to accept that their changed status meant they were no longer entitled to that assistance,” he said.

Meanwhile, it was reported that private investigators searching for Madeleine had found a blonde girl who had been kidnapped by a Moroccan family.

Sources inside Spanishdetective agency Metodo 3, hired by the McCanns, reportedly said Interpol was investigating the discovery of the girl living in the Rif mountains, the area where they were searching for Madeleine.

An insider said: “She was not Madeleine but she was an English speaker, possibly an American,” adding: “It’s entirely feasible that Madeleine could be in a similar situation.”

The Daily Mirror reports the new Portuguese officer in charge of the case, Paulo Rebelo, spent three hours at the McCanns’ holiday flat in Praia da Luz examining the scene with six detectives.

Meanwhile, it has been confirmed that MrMcCann, 39, will return to work as a consultant cardiologist at Leicester’s Glenfield Hospital tomorrow.

He and his wife, who is a GP and also 39, have been on unpaid leave from their jobs since Madeleine disappeared.

It is understood Mr McCann will initially work three half-days a week and will not have any contact with patients until his employers believe he is ready.

This weekend it will be six months since Madeleine’s disappearance.

Mr McCann wrote in his latest internet blog entry: “We will be marking this milestone very quietly with an ecumenical prayer service for Madeleine and other missing children in the local Anglican church.”

© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/madeleines-parents-used-fund-to-pay-mortgage-46633.html

Phoebas wrote:
    Why presume it? Why not look up the accounts of the fund. Then you could post fact, rather than speculation.

They haven't paid so can't check the fund yet. This entire thread is speculative. ;-)

Did you even read those links before copy, pasting and dumping them into the thread?

They confirmed exactly what I said.

An exact quote taken from your post:
    He was speaking after media reports on Tuesday that the couple made two 2,000-pound repayments on their 460,000-pound detached house in Rothley, Leicestershire with fund money.

It is understood they asked for money to pay their £2,000 monthly re-payments in July and August, but did not apply for any more - nor were they given any - after they were made suspects in their daughter's case in September.
    So no, as stated by your own link, they did not pay off their mortgage using the fund.
    Thanks for proving my point for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I believe Susie’s point was that they didn’t pay off their mortgage with money from the fund; which your link confirms is the case. Paying a £2000 instalment with money given to you by public sympathisers, friends, family and maybe even contributed to themselves, at a time when they were not working is not something I personally consider to be outrageous or offensive. Also I don’t believe anyone has any right to judge or insist where the money should or should not go unless you yourself have donated.

They haven't paid so can't check the fund yet.

Exactly. You're presuming something that didn't happen.
    And when pulled up on it, your defence is basically 'it might happen in the future'.

Phoebas wrote:
    Exactly. You're presuming something that didn't happen. And when pulled up on it, your defence is basically 'it might happen in the future'.

They have used the fund to pay for legal challenges before , so based on previous behaviour I believe it's a fair presumption to make. As I said the Sun has stated they lost their libel case and now owe 33k as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

In the last episode of the documentary when they're covering the media publishing her private diary without her consent, Kate describes herself as a "grieving mother". This was in 2011.

Anyone else find that strange?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

For two doctors they didn't have much savings if they had to dip in the fund for July & August's mortgage payments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

yaboya1 wrote: »
    In the last episode of the documentary when they're covering the media publishing her private diary without her consent, Kate describes herself as a "grieving mother". This was in 2011.

Why is it strange? Her daughter is missing, whatever way you look at it. You can grieve someone in many ways, it doesn’t just relate to death. She could be referring to feeling tormented or sorrow or the immense loss of no longer having her daughter in her life.

yaboya1 wrote: »

No. Grief does not refer only to death - it means intense sorrow - which is what I would experience if one of my children was abducted.

What I do find strange is how something seized by the police as evidence and which therefore should be sub judice - ends up in the hands of the media.

For two doctors they didn't have much savings if they had to dip in the fund for July & August's mortgage payments.

In my experience, holiday accommodation and expenses in general are considerable, and they had to pay for four months of such. Add to that needing to pay for lawyers and a thousand other things a normal family on holiday wouldn't have to, I can well see savings evaporating very rapidly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Fair enough. Just thought most people would associate grief with death.
    Agree that it's disgraceful the media ended up with (and published) her diary.

They have used the fund to pay for legal challenges before , so based on previous behaviour I believe it's a fair presumption to make.
    So can you throw up a link to the published accounts of the fund showing where it paid for the McCann's personal legal expenses?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement