Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Madeleine McCann

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

She wandered out herself, something happened (car accident/paedo)
    SusieBlue wrote: »
    Are we really supposed to believe that two doctors, one of whom was a qualified anaesthetist, accidentally overdosed their kids?

Whether they used over the counter stuff or somehow managed to smuggle prescription stuff into the country without it being picked up at airport security, the odds of a doctor and an anaesthetist accidentally overdosing three small kids is less than zero.
    If it was an average joe I might see some merit in the argument but they were both doctors!

Agreed!

I’ve followed this case for years now but the latest developments don’t do much for me.

Of course if you invest literally millions and keep investigating there will always be something of interest.

They’ve admitted they have no body and no hard evidence yet they believe he killed her and need information...

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/madeleine-mccann-german-prosecutor-has-evidence-british-girl-is-dead-12003094

It’s inferred here that they definitely know more than they have released- just not quite enough to guarantee a conviction, this is one of the highest profile cases in history- everyone investigating will be dotting the I’s and crossing the T’s here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Something Else
    bladespin wrote: »
    It's not fair, so we can't, there's no way of proving one way or the other. Though definitely something to remember.

How else can you explain any of the points mentioned without sedatives?
    Silent abductions, sleeping twins, Kate knowing instantly that maddie could not have left on her own, the forced tiredness narrative, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

punchdrunk wrote: »
    Sedation? where are the pill bottles? Where are the tourniquets, alcohol wipes, syringes?

It’s a baseless accusation- no evidence!

Probably disposed of with the body. No point making two trips to fantasy land.

Something Else
    Sedation? where are the pill bottles? Where are the tourniquets, alcohol wipes, syringes?

It’s a baseless accusation- no evidence!

Could be sleeping pills. The McCann's stuff wasn't searched for a long time after the events.

• Advertisement

Something Else
    Are we really supposed to believe that two doctors, one of whom was a qualified anaesthetist, accidentally overdosed their kids?

Whether they used over the counter stuff or somehow managed to smuggle prescription stuff into the country without it being picked up at airport security, the odds of a doctor and an anaesthetist accidentally overdosing three small kids is less than zero.
    If it was an average joe I might see some merit in the argument but they were both doctors!

Overdoes is one theory that doesn't involve abduction. This is also possible. Both of them are experienced doctors but they didn't work in children's medicine as far as I know. Maddie woke up the night before, perhaps they decided she was getting too big / immune and decided to up her dose, went a bit too liberal, maybe they measured wrong, who knows, lots of possibilities. Mistakes happen in every work place and in every home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Effects wrote: »

Where and when did they dispose of the body seeing as Madeleine was signed out of kids club (verified by independent witnesses) at 6pm and Kate & Gerry sat down for dinner a mere 2.5 hours later?

Bearing in mind there was no mobile internet or google maps, and they had no access to a car. They had only been in PdeL for a few days so wouldn’t have had a huge amount of local knowledge and at that time of evening it would have still been bright outside with plenty of dinner going tourists around, so not exactly ideal conditions for disposing of a child’s corpse.

I’d love to hear how and when they hid the body so well that it still hasn’t been discovered over 13 years later. I’m all ears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

cgcsb wrote: »
    How else can you explain any of the points mentioned without sedatives?
    Silent abductions, sleeping twins, Kate knowing instantly that maddie could not have left on her own, the forced tiredness narrative, etc.

Silent abductions? Are kidnappers in the habit of making an unholy racket to draw attention to themselves? How much noise can a child make with her mouth covered and/or gagged.

Sleeping twins? It was 10pm, they were playing all day in hot weather. They might have been pretty tired, call me crazy! No evidence of sedatives from their hair samples, either.

No idea what the 'forced tiredness' narrative is you speak of.

These things are only as suspicious as you want to make them.

Something Else
    Effects wrote: »

The body's whereabouts is what gets the McCanns off the hook in my mind, the only way to get rid would be to get local help, which seems unlikely but then again as they've demonstrated they are quite skilled at securing favors from very powerful people, everything from millions of pounds, use of private jets and even private detectives who are barred from certain lines of enquiry. So it remains a possibility

The body's whereabouts is what gets the McCanns off the hook in my mind, the only way to get rid would be to get local help, which seems unlikely but then again as they've demonstrated they are quite skilled at securing favors from very powerful people, everything from millions of pounds, use of private jets and even private detectives who are barred from certain lines of enquiry. So it remains a possibility

Lol, you think these 'very powerful' friends the McCanns supposedly have in the British government happened to be in Praia de Luz that night, got a call about disposing of a dead child's body and said, "sure thing, pal, be right there!"

I can't even...

• Advertisement

Something Else
    Where and when did they dispose of the body seeing as Madeleine was signed out of kids club (verified by independent witnesses) at 6pm and Kate & Gerry sat down for dinner a mere 2.5 hours later?

Bearing in mind there was no mobile internet or google maps, and they had no access to a car. They had only been in PdeL for a few days so wouldn’t have had a huge amount of local knowledge and at that time of evening it would have still been bright outside with plenty of dinner going tourists around, so not exactly ideal conditions for disposing of a child’s corpse.

I’d love to hear how and when they hid the body so well that it still hasn’t been discovered over 13 years later. I’m all ears.

Well it's a far fetched scenario but most scenarios in this case are far fetched:

1) We don't know they didnt have access to a car. We know they didn't hire one from the holiday rental companies and that no obvious charge turned up on their cards. They didn't hire a private jet through normal channels either but had access to one, they also had lots of friends there, wouldn't rule any of them out.

2)Local help is a possibility. Even a kind hearted friend, or local priest who wouldn't want the twins to be brought up with parents in prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

I have to say the parents involvement theory is getting a lot more silly.....

None of it is impossible but it’s far, far more likely the child was abducted and the parents knew nothing about it.

Silent abductions? Are kidnappers in the habit of making an unholy racket to draw attention to themselves? How much noise can a child make with her mouth covered and/or gagged.

Sleeping twins? It was 10pm, they were playing all day in hot weather. They might have been pretty tired, call me crazy! No evidence of sedatives from their hair samples, either.

These things are only as suspicious as you want to make them.

I can move my sleeping two year old from the car to the cot in broad daylight without making any racket- even easier at night and in darkness, to me this whole sedation narrative is a red herring.

Something Else

There's no way it could be done without a hullabaloo, the upstairs neighbours can hear crying the night before remember.

Don't buy it

Have a look at some of the interviews and count how many times she says tired.

How else can you explain Kate knowing that Maddie didn't get out on her own steam?

Well it's a far fetched scenario but most scenarios in this case are far fetched:

1) We don't know they didnt have access to a car. We know they didn't hire one from the holiday rental companies and that no obvious charge turned up on their cards. They didn't hire a private jet through normal channels either but had access to one, they also had lots of friends there, wouldn't rule any of them out.

2)Local help is a possibility. Even a kind hearted friend, or local priest who wouldn't want the twins to be brought up with parents in prison.

A kind hearted friend or local priest who would cover up the murder of a toddler for over 13 years and not say a word?
    I adore my friends and would do anything for my family but you can be damn sure I would not help them dispose of a child’s corpse and stage a kidnapping because they murdered their child.
    Why would someone local even help them? What would they have to gain, besides being an accessory to a murder?

It’s actually insane that this is even being offered up as a reasonable explanation. Friends don’t cover for friends who murder their kids, no matter how ‘kind hearted’ they are.

Something Else
    Lol, you think these 'very powerful' friends the McCanns supposedly have in the British government happened to be in Praia de Luz that night, got a call about disposing of a dead child's body and said, "sure thing, pal, be right there!"

I can't even...

Well I don't know about their friends in the British Government but they say now it only costs about €20k to get someone killed. I'm sure the price for hiding a body. Their friend's didnt have to be there that night, they only needed to have connections to local criminals.

Alternatively a kind hearted friend done it for free to save the twins from being parentless.

Like I said these are far fetched scenarios, but possible.

Something Else
    Rock77 wrote: »
    I have to say the parents involvement theory is getting a lot more silly.....

None of it is impossible but it’s far, far more likely the child was abducted and the parents knew nothing about it.

A professional abduction plus medicated kids removes a lot of the variables. Still Maddie getting hit by local drunk driver remains simplest option.

Something Else
    A kind hearted friend or local priest who would cover up the murder of a toddler for over 13 years and not say a word?
    I adore my friends and would do anything for my family but you can be damn sure I would not help them dispose of a child’s corpse and stage a kidnapping because they murdered their child.
    Why would someone local even help them? What would they have to gain, besides being an accessory to a murder?

It’s actually insane that this is even being offered up as a reasonable explanation. Friends don’t cover for friends who murder their kids, no matter how ‘kind hearted’ they are.

Like all the McCann supporters say: "you don't know how you'd react in that situation". The friends at the dinner table already lied to cover each others arses over the timeline of checks, presumably they didn't want to get done for cruelty, I could see how one lie could lead to another and get very out of hand in such a high stress situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Like all the McCann supporters say: "you don't know how you'd react in that situation". The friends at the dinner table already lied to cover each others arses over the timeline of checks, presumably they didn't want to get done for cruelty, I could see how one lie could lead to another and get very out of hand in such a high stress situation.

Its common sense though,theres always a weak link.No way they could all keep their mouth shut.

Somebody gets drunk and lets something slip.Or they cant take the guilt anymore and the go to the police.That would be more likely

Kind hearted nice people don’t cover & lie for people who murder toddlers. It just doesn’t happen.
    If they were so nice and kind hearted they wouldn’t be capable of covering for someone who committed such a heinous crime.

The friends at the dinner table also got annihilated and abused in the media and in the court of public opinion for leaving their children alone so they had nothing left to lose, why would they continue to protect the two people that caused them so much trouble and caused their lives to be turned upside down?
    What would their motivation be? It just doesn’t make any sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Accident happened, parents hid body
    Kind hearted nice people don’t cover & lie for people who murder toddlers. It just doesn’t happen.
    If they were so nice and kind hearted they wouldn’t be capable of covering for someone who committed such a heinous crime.

The friends at the dinner table also got annihilated and abused in the media and in the court of public opinion for leaving their children alone so they had nothing left to lose, why would they continue to protect the two people that caused them so much trouble and caused their lives to be turned upside down?

I don't think they had anything to do with it. Sure Jane Tanner said She saw Gerry on the road, and Gerry denied it, on camera, and made her cry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I dont think anyone knows what they would do in this situation. I think it was perfectly understandable that Kate ran back from the apartment to the restaurant to raise the alarm. At that stage she would have though Maddie was just missing rather than abducted.

They made a huge mistake leaving the kids alone like that and now they have to live with it forever and the devastating impact of it. I highly doubt that the two of them are in anyway involved with the abduction though apart from being negligent. It would serve no purpose to the public or the McCanns for them to be punished for that. They'll live a nightmare everyday for the rest of their lives but in no way are at fault for some scumbag being an evil bastard.

I would believe that they were under surveilence by a peado group or predator for days leading up to the abduction. Makes you think really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

TheW1zard wrote: »
    I don't think they had anything to do with it. Sure Jane Tanner said She saw Gerry on the road, and Gerry denied it, on camera, and made her cry!

She saw Gerry talking to a tennis partner, Jez Wilkins in the road near the apartment. Jez Wilkin's police statement corroborates what Jane said she saw, I'm dubious Gerry denied this happened. Can you provide a link?

I would believe that they were under surveilence by a peado group or predator for days leading up to the abduction. Makes you think really.

I have always suspected that one or more people working for the resort company know more than they have said and perhaps did more than has been said. Shipping the nannies off to Greece the following day must have been a near miracle as travel arrangements go.

cnocbui wrote: »
    I have always suspected that one or more people working for the resort company know more than they have said and perhaps did more than has been said. Shipping the nannies off to Greece the following day must have been a near miracle as travel arrangements go.

It's possible and more likely over the McCanns being involved. Although like any cover ups the more people that know the facts the harder it is to keep it secret. I'd say again that someone, an individual or someone working as part of a group had that placed watched and knew the McCanns movements about checking on kids during etc. No way was it a chance abduction.

It's also a million to one but perhaps Maddie simply wandered off and her little body still lies undiscovered somwhere.

Something Else
    dubstarr wrote: »
    Its common sense though,theres always a weak link.No way they could all keep their mouth shut.

Somebody gets drunk and lets something slip.Or they cant take the guilt anymore and the go to the police.That would be more likely

Indeed that still may happen. The whole dinner party wouldn't have to be involved to make it work though.

It’s already being reported that the hotel worker who tipped off the suspect has been identified according to Portuguese news media, loads of news coming out in the last few days and it’s all pointing one way (and that’s not at the McCanns)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8399409/amp/Police-identify-crooked-hotel-worker-tipped-Madeleine-prime-suspect-Christian-Brueckner.html

Something Else

Well in that scenario it wouldn't be as simple as that. The McCann's would just give them:

"It was an accident, I don't want to go to prison, the twins will be put into care, you wouldn't do that to them, would you? You're as guilty as I am, your kids are left alone too" etc.

What would they have to loose? Eh their freedom, having obstructed justice already.

Something Else
    It’s already being reported that the hotel worker who tipped off the suspect has been identified according to Portuguese news media, loads of news coming out in the last few days and it’s all pointing one way (and that’s not at the McCanns)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8399409/amp/Police-identify-crooked-hotel-worker-tipped-Madeleine-prime-suspect-Christian-Brueckner.html

I wouldn't get too excited, June 2021 there'll be another announced lead or perhaps a fresh appeal to coincide with Maddie's 18th Brithday. People forget details and faces.

• Advertisement

Steer clear of the Daily Mail would be my thoughts. I do believe though that it wasnt the McCanns or their friends.

I wouldn't get too excited, June 2021 there'll be another announced lead or perhaps a fresh appeal to coincide with Maddie's 18th Brithday. People forget details and faces.

Developments over the last few days feel very different to what’s gone before, far more specific details coming up-some very specific Info being sought by police, for example wanting to speak to English, American and Irish tourists in particular

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Never fails to amaze me that the 2yr old twins slept right through all the hullabaloo when the flat was crowded with distressed and noisy people. But I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation for that.

Anyway, I don't think the parents had anything to do with the girl's fate at all, apart from leaving her and siblings alone in an unlocked flat. We have never heard if any of their material valuables were "taken" at the same time Madeleine presumably was.

Abduction is the most likely theory, but no forensics and no fingerprints etc. is a puzzling thing just the same. Together with absolutely no witnesses, despite the fact that McCanns say they were within sight of the flat.

Steer clear of the Daily Mail would be my thoughts. I do believe though that it wasnt the McCanns or their friends.

Oh I know! I just pulled that from a quick google but it’s being mentioned in various places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Never fails to amaze me that the 2yr old twins slept right through all the hullabaloo when the flat was crowded with distressed and noisy people. But I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation for that.

Anyway, I don't think the parents had anything to do with the girl's fate at all, apart from leaving her and siblings alone in an unlocked flat. We have never heard if any of their material valuables were "taken" at the same time Madeleine presumably was.

Abduction is the most likely theory, but no forensics and no fingerprints etc. is a puzzling thing just the same. Together with absolutely no witnesses, despite the fact that McCanns say they were within sight of the flat.

Where are you getting the noisy people from? Your imagination?

2 yr olds sleeping is not so strange

She saw Gerry talking to a tennis partner, Jez Wilkins in the road near the apartment. Jez Wilkin's police statement corroborates what Jane said she saw, I'm dubious Gerry denied this happened. Can you provide a link?

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.9news.com.au/article/645ec1ae-d530-466e-ac05-df117f624484

• Advertisement

Happy4all wrote: »

When the flat was overrun with the holiday friends, the police etc. Lights on, noise, crying, distress, people all together in one place, you know.... noise!

No child would sleep through all that, particularly since the centre of operations was the kids bedroom from where Madeleine was abducted, apparently.

No need for the disparaging tone either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

Both Jez and Gerry said they never saw Jane passing by and never saw the man she said she saw. She also placed the two men on the wrong side of the road according to Gerry. It's in the McCann's own 'Madeline was Here' documentary.

Something Else
    Happy4all wrote: »

Police say there were about 20 people in the small flat by the time they arrived. Kate and Gerry McCann made no effort to close the crime scene despite already knowing (how they knew is not quite clear) that it was an abduction.

Developments over the last few days feel very different to what’s gone before, far more specific details coming up-some very specific Info being sought by police, for example wanting to speak to English, American and Irish tourists in particular

Tourists? Hardly.......It's the Algarve not the North Pole.

Something Else
    When the flat was overrun with the holiday friends, the police etc. Lights on, noise, crying, distress, people all together in one place, you know.... noise!

No child would sleep through all that, particularly since the centre of operations was the kids bedroom from where Madeleine was abducted, apparently.

No need for the disparaging tone either.

I thought so too, but posters here are adamant that babies can sleep soundly through all that because they had a long day in forced fun (don't bother mummy and daddy for the week camp).

• Advertisement

Well in that scenario it wouldn't be as simple as that. The McCann's would just give them:

"It was an accident, I don't want to go to prison, the twins will be put into care, you wouldn't do that to them, would you? You're as guilty as I am, your kids are left alone too" etc.

What would they have to loose? Eh their freedom, having obstructed justice already.

Parents don't usually go to prison when their child dies in an accident. Think drownings, of which there are huge numbers.

Police say there were about 20 people in the small flat by the time they arrived. Kate and Gerry McCann made no effort to close the crime scene despite already knowing (how they knew is not quite clear) that it was an abduction.

What a stupid comment. How would they have known? Where did you hear that? Gerry and Kate weren't experts in criminal forensics afaik. Their child had just vanished and they were panicking. Preserving the scene wasn't on their minds.

Again the Portuguese cops pointing to a contaminated crime scene is just deflecting from their own disastrous and shameful part in the whole thing.

I thought so too, but posters here are adamant that babies can sleep soundly through all that because they had a long day in forced fun (don't bother mummy and daddy for the week camp).

Forced fun? Are you actually disparaging all parents who bring their kids on holidays with kiddie activity camps now?

Jesus, you make them sound like concentration camps!

TheW1zard wrote: »

Right, so contrary to your claim, Gerry has never denied he was talking to someone on the road as Jane Tanner said. In fact, all of them are in agreement. The only disagreement from Gerry was about precisely where he was standing. Given the stress Gerry experienced shortly after the events, i am not surprised that he mis-remembered the exact details, as stress can negatively impact the formation of long term memories.

Tourists? Hardly.......It's the Algarve not the North Pole.

What??

They had been sailing that day. Perhaps you have little experience with how children tend to sleep after a day of sun, sea, and wind. I remember my brother and I sleeping on a boat that was pounding into waves in rough seas. A bunch of people bustling about and yakking would be a doddle, by comparison.

What??

Of course they are going to want to talk to tourists. Hardly consider that a specific piece of new info this time around.

I am not pro or anti Mc Cann. I look at things and question some events. I have already said that I don't think they killed her. But their inaction regarding their kids care does not sit right with me at all. And I am sure I am not alone in that regard.

There is a cohort out there though that worship the parents and see nothing else. Nothing. That is not discussing things at all.

I am not pro or anti Mc Cann. I look at things and question some events. I have already said that I don't think they killed her. But their inaction regarding their kids care does not sit right with me at all. And I am sure I am not alone in that regard.

There is a cohort out there though that worship the parents and see nothing else. Nothing. That is not discussing things at all.

I fully agree. To think it was ok to leave kids alone like that at that age was wrong. Negligent also. At the same time it would do no good to prosecute or punish them for that. They are living a nightmare now always will. They might be responsible for creating the chance for someone to snatch her but they did not execute the deed.

You'd also have to say that someone was probably watching the party dining while the abduction was happening to keep look out.

Would the McCanns have left the children alone in England?

Right, so contrary to your claim, Gerry has never denied he was talking to someone on the road as Jane Tanner said. In fact, all of them are in agreement. The only disagreement from Gerry was about precisely where he was standing. Given the stress Gerry experienced shortly after the events, i am not surprised that he mis-remembered the exact details, as stress can negatively impact the formation of long term memories.

I said Jane Tanner saw them on the road and Gerry denied it.
    Gerry said he never saw her, so did his tennis mate.
    Additionally they disagreed what side of the road they were on.
    Jane said She walked right past them, Gerry said he was on the other side of the road and no one came walking up. The tennis friend disagreed with Gerry and Jane by saying he was on the near side and that he too didnt see Jane!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement