Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Madeleine McCann

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

She wandered out herself, something happened (car accident/paedo)
    Fairly sure she was at the kids club until 6pm. Nobody outside the McCanns saw her after.
    Matthew Oldfield went to check on the kids at 9:30 I believe but didn't look very hard and couldn't recall if Madeline was there or not...

Why he bothered going at all is odd. Surely you'd at least look to see if the kids were there!

Nah I understand that one, he looked into a dark room and everything looked OK. He wasn't going to turn on the lights and wake the kids up, I would have done the same.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Accident happened, parents hid body
    Fairly sure she was at the kids club until 6pm. Nobody outside the McCanns saw her after.
    Matthew Oldfield went to check on the kids at 9:30 I believe but didn't look very hard and couldn't recall if Madeline was there or not...

Why he bothered going at all is odd. Surely you'd at least look to see if the kids were there!

What time did the McCanns go to dinner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Accident happened, parents hid body
    Nah I understand that one, he looked into a dark room and everything looked OK. He wasn't going to turn on the lights and wake the kids up, I would have done the same.

I don’t know this might be me being overly cautious but when I’ve minded young kids at night and especially babies and would go right in the room, the light would be on in the hall so no need to turn bedroom light on, to check on them and even listen to the baby’s breathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Yeah lots. Not recently though. Have you?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/was-madeline-mccann-one-of-many

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Something Else

thats interesting . any update on the findings. any patern found .

what description are they using. the man with a child seen carrying a child .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

To most people Portugal's state-run orphanages seemed like a safe haven for thousands of children who had been robbed of their parents.

They were called the Casa Pia, or Houses of the Pious.

But for an elite paedophile ring, which included a former ambassador and a prominent television celebrity, Casa Pia orphanages were something entirely different.

They were supermarkets stocked with children to abuse.

Yesterday, at the conclusion of the longest trial in Portugal's history, seven defendants were convicted of using the orphanages to rape and abuse scores of teenage boys in a case that has sent shockwaves through the country's political elite and raised serious concerns over the efficiency of Portugal's judiciary.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/guilty-after-six-year-trial-portugals-high-society-paedophile-ring-2070112.html

Wasn't there many people reported going around the Ocean Club making a collection for an orphanage

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Something Else
    It was also revealed yesterday that details of over 100 calls to Crimestoppers about Madeleine in the days after she vanished were never handed to police.

They mostly came from psychics....

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

fin12 wrote: »
    What time did the McCanns go to dinner?

Here, knock yourself out: http://mccannpjfiles.co.uk

fin12 wrote: »
    I don’t know this might be me being overly cautious but when I’ve minded young kids at night and especially babies and would go right in the room, the light would be on in the hall so no need to turn bedroom light on, to check on them and even listen to the baby’s breathing.

I used to babysit for someone who owned a nightclub. I'd to go to sleep on the couch then wake when I heard keys in the door around 04:30 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Listening at the door is fine. Sometimes the creak can wake them. I’ve often just shoved my head in and if I see some kind of human shaped replica on the duvet it’s good enough. You’re checking to see are they crying/awake.. abduction would rarely cross your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭MmmChocolate

I've read this whole thread but I may have missed this so apologies if it was posted already. It's an unnerving theory but it seems to fit the facts - as I know them anyway. The points are well made but be warned - it's upsetting enough that you might end up wishing you hadn't read it because yes, there are people out there capable of doing the things it suggests.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1052261768909733888.html

I've read this whole thread but I may have missed this so apologies if it was posted already. It's an unnerving theory but it seems to fit the facts - as I know them anyway. The points are well made but be warned - it's upsetting enough that you might end up wishing you hadn't read it because yes, there are people out there capable of doing the things it suggests.

I don't see any evidence of anything in that thread.
    It's someone posting their opinion. Nothing to back it up.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

To be fair, everything is an opinion or a scenario that has been played out with the evidence how they see it, or how they want to see it.
    Good detective work is being able to make the real story out of the evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

bubblypop wrote: »

Also loads of factual mistakes in that thread . Its full of rubbish

Yes. That's what I meant by the words 'theory' and 'it suggests'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Yes. That's what I meant by the words 'theory' and 'it suggests'.

Yeah but it's kind of something from the imagination of a nut job with nothing else to do. We could all sit there and make up stuff about who took her but what the hell is the point. Chances are the poor little child was taken by some such nut case - but it's these crazies coming out on the internet, people who vilify the McCanns while getting off on unleashing the darkest recesses of their minds (and only their imaginations) that bothers me.

Babooshka wrote: »
    Yeah but it's kind of something from the imagination of a nut job with nothing else to do. We could all sit there and make up stuff about who took her but what the hell is the point. Chances are the poor little child was taken by some such nut case - but it's these crazies coming out on the internet, people who vilify the McCanns while getting off on unleashing the darkest recesses of their minds (and only their imaginations) that bothers me.

That's fair enough. I thought it seemed at least feasible enough to be worth posting. Unless we're talking hollow earth or lizard people, I think very few theories are so far fetched as to not be worth at least looking at.

That's fair enough. I thought it seemed at least feasible enough to be worth posting. Unless we're talking hollow earth or lizard people, I think very few theories are so far fetched as to not be worth at least looking at.

While I understand your reasoning, my problem is that some of the theorizing involves accusing the child’s parents of murder or manslaughter of their own child.
    Idle specuation is fine but some of vitriol the Mc Canns have been subjected to is shocking.
    There really is no reason to hurt these people even more than they have suffered already but some keyboard warriors are relentless.

While I understand your reasoning, my problem is that some of the theorizing involves accusing the child’s parents of murder or manslaughter of their own child.
    Idle specuation is fine but some of vitriol the Mc Canns have been subjected to is shocking.
    There really is no reason to hurt these people even more than they have suffered already but some keyboard warriors are relentless.

I agree that her parents have been subjected to shocking amounts of vitriol and abuse. But by the same token, I think it's naive to completely disregard the possibility of their involvement, whether deliberately or accidentally, based simply on the fact that they are her parents. It would be great if we lived in a world where parents never damaged or harmed their own children - but the sad fact of the matter is that we don't. I tend to think of the parents as innocent until proven guilty. But there are just too many unanswered questions to conclusively declare them innocent of any involvement.

• Advertisement

I agree that her parents have been subjected to shocking amounts of vitriol and abuse. But by the same token, I think it's naive to completely disregard the possibility of their involvement, whether deliberately or accidentally, based simply on the fact that they are her parents. It would be great if we lived in a world where parents never damaged or harmed their own children - but the sad fact of the matter is that we don't. I tend to think of the parents as innocent until proven guilty. But there are just too many unanswered questions to conclusively declare them innocent of any involvement.

But it’s not simply because they are her parents. Not at all.

Nobody has ever been able to develop a reasonable scenario backed up with proper evidence which expliains how and why her parents killed her and/or disposed of her body.

Any scenario I have ever read from conspiracy theorists have more holes in them than swizz cheese.

Nobody has ever been able to develop a reasonable scenario backed up with proper evidence which expliains how and why her parents killed her and/or disposed of her body.

Any scenario I have ever read from conspiracy theorists have more holes in them than swizz cheese.

Well then I suggest you avoid conspiracy theorists. There is no shortage of documented and confirmed facts of the case from proper sources that are enough to prevent them from being ruled innocent - the unanswered questions, the cadaver dogs, the use of the picture of her eyes against all legal advice, to name but a few.

If a high court judge feels it's important enough to make the distinction between them being ruled out as suspects and being declared innocent, then that to me is enough to bear in mind that they may have had some involvement. Even if it was as simple as accidentally overdosing her with sedatives and then panicking. Maintaining the possibility of their involvement does not necessarily mean that they are the incarnation of evil that so many people seem to think they are. They can easily have one without the other.

Well then I suggest you avoid conspiracy theorists. There is no shortage of documented and confirmed facts of the case from proper sources that are enough to prevent them from being ruled innocent - the unanswered questions, the cadaver dogs, the use of the picture of her eyes against all legal advice, to name but a few.

If a high court judge feels it's important enough to make the distinction between them being ruled out as suspects and being declared innocent, then that to me is enough to bear in mind that they may have had some involvement. Even if it was as simple as accidentally overdosing her with sedatives and then panicking. Maintaining the possibility of their involvement does not necessarily mean that they are the incarnation of evil that so many people seem to think they are. They can easily have one without the other.

There is NO credible scenario where they killed their child and buried her. Feel free to offer one.

There is NO credible scenario where they killed their child and buried her. Feel free to offer one.

I didn't say there was. I said repeatedly 'involvement'. A credible scenario is that the child died and they felt somehow responsible and panicked, behaved irrationally (which would certainly be understandable), disposed of the body and are now so invested that they don't know how to backtrack.

I didn't say there was. I said repeatedly 'involvement'. A credible scenario is that the child died and they felt somehow responsible and panicked, behaved irrationally (which would certainly be understandable), disposed of the body and are now so invested that they don't know how to backtrack.

Sorry, but that’s not credible in any way.

Well then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Its just as credible as any other theory , none of us know what happened .I think discussing all theories is fair on this thread .Yours ,mine and all others opinions are equally as valid .Its not my opinion either but am willing to listen to others and allow them to have opinions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Something Else

That certainly is a plausible scenario. I'm not suggesting for a minute that's what happened (before the usual suspects come along), but to completely dismiss it is wrong.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Its just as credible as any other theory , none of us know what happened .I think discussing all theories is fair on this thread .Yours ,mine and all others opinions are equally as valid .

I suspect Deusexmachina feels that any theory that doesn't exonerate the parents 100% is not a credible theory.

• Advertisement

I tend to think of the parents as innocent until proven guilty. But there are just too many unanswered questions to conclusively declare them innocent of any involvement.

This doesn't make sense . You think the parents as innocent until proven guilty, however you don't believe they can be declared innocent?

This doesn't make sense . You think the parents as innocent until proven guilty, however you don't believe they can be declared innocent?

Let me rephrase. I don't necessarily default to the belief that they were involved, which I guess isn't exactly the same as thinking they're innocent. I would be more inclined to think they were not involved than they were. But there are too many questions for them to be conclusively declared innocent.

I suspect Deusexmachina feels that any theory that doesn't exonerate the parents 100% is not a credible theory.

Absolutely. Anything else is frankly rubbish. Cadaver dogs sniff a hired car - HIRED WEEKS AFTER THE CHILD GOES MISSING.

How the hell did they hide the body for weeks in the apartment in the full view of police, friends, family, worlds media - and then smuggle this stinking rotten corpse out to the car and then bury it without anyone noticing??

I mean really - this is the stuff we are asked to take seriously...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

“I ain't even done yet bitch let me tell you about how they sold her into sex trafficking”

Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭badabing106

The British and Portuguese detectives working on the case finished their investigation and their conclusion was that Madeleine mcann died in the apartment because of an accident, and the mcann were responsible, upon discovering her,of concealing and transporting the body somewhere and faking an abduction attempt

Absolutely. Anything else is frankly rubbish. Cadaver dogs sniff a hired car - HIRED WEEKS AFTER THE CHILD GOES MISSING.

How the hell did they hide the body for weeks in the apartment in the full view of police, friends, family, worlds media - and then smuggle this stinking rotten corpse out to the car and then bury it without anyone noticing??

I think personally if you made your arguments politely and not so shouty and rude people would tend to listen to you
    Shouting people down rarely makes them listen , just my opinion of course

• Advertisement

I think personally if you made your arguments politely and not so shouty and rude people would tend to listen to you
    Shouting people down rarely makes them listen , just my opinion of course

I am not being shouty. I am simply calling out some really nasty rumour and innuendo that has caused this family incredible hurt.

The British and Portuguese detectives working on the case finished their investigation and their conclusion was that Madeleine mcann died in the apartment because of an accident, and the mcann were responsible, upon discovering her,of concealing and transporting the body somewhere and faking an abduction attempt

Really??????

I am not being shouty. I am simply calling out some really nasty rumour and innuendo that has caused this family incredible hurt.

You have tended to shoutsince the thread started with such posts as " leave them alone " etc . Just my experience that people who shout their opinion rarely get listened to . Explaination and measured reasons for your opinion will far more likely be heard . I too have bourne the brunt of your shouting despite make valid points and basically being open minded .
    But of course that is just an opinion also

The detectives made no such conclusion. Pure fantasy.

You have tended to shoutsince the thread started with such posts as " leave them alone " etc . Just my experience that people who shout their opinion rarely get listened to . Explaination and measured reasons for your opinion will far more likely be heard . But of course that is just an opinion also

You keep criticising me personally. Why not just discuss the points raised?

(I am actually a decent enough person - I just don't like to see these people being treated so badly online. No need for personal jibes)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Enough with the personal jabs, it's already had the thread on shakey ground, and I don't want to see a repeat.

You keep criticising me personally. Why not just discuss the points raised?

(I am actually a decent enough person - I just don't like to see these people being treated so badly online. No need for personal jibes)

Actually you persistently told me I was banging on about the same points . Works both ways . But if you prefer I can completely ignore your posts and keep my distance

It's very easy - Portuguese trained tracker and SAR dogs are completely incompetent, unlike dogs trained in the UK. You don't expect a foreign SAR dog to be able to find a hidden body, do you?

The McCanns clearly aren't really medical professionals, they are actually magicians. Amazing what you can hide up your sleeve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭badabing106

cnocbui wrote: »
    The detectives made no such conclusion. Pure fantasy.

Below is a statement from the chief inspector of the Madeleine McCann case and the conclusion of the entire investigation. He was confronted in court , when team McCann took a lawsuit against a book written by one of its leading investigators.

Chief Inspector Tavares de Almeida told the court that he believed the couple, from Rothley, Leicestershire, were directly involved in Madeleine’s disappearance – a theory he said was shared by Portuguese and British officers working on the case

He said: “The conclusion that was arrived at was that Madeleine McCann died at the apartment and the McCann couple simulated the abduction to hide the fact that they had not taken care of their children.

“There was a tragic accident in the apartment that night and they neglected the care of their children. It was the conclusion of both Portuguese and British police. We have always spoken of a tragic accidental death. There was no homicide.”

Asked if he thought Madeleine was dead, Mr de Almeida replied: “Yes. She is dead. It was not only the police who believed this but the public prosecutor. The McCanns did not kill her but they concealed the body.”

Mr de Almeida was giving evidence on behalf of his former colleague Goncalo Amaral who is seeking to overturn a ban on the book he wrote about the Madeleine case entitled Maddie: The Truth Of The Lie.

The detective described the book as a “true history of the facts”. He said: “Goncalo Amaral was very careful to come to this conclusion with the facts.”

Luis Neves, the head of Portugal’s anti-terrorism unit, told the court they had employed a British profiler who gave him the impression that the McCanns were guilty of involvement in Madeleine’s disappearance.
    Mr de Almeida said their suspicions about the couple appeared to be confirmed when sniffer dogs found traces of blood and the smell of death at the McCanns’ holiday apartment.
    One of the dogs was in a nervous, excitable state and wanted to get into the room, said Mr de Almeida.

He said: “Inside the apartment there were two places where the dogs gave a sign. One was in the bedroom, the other was in the dining room.
    “It was also found in the McCanns’ new apartment on a piece of clothing and in the rental car.”

Asked if it was the dog’s reaction that led police to make the McCanns formal suspects in the investigation, he said: “No, they were already suspected of simulating a kidnapping and concealing the body.”

[URL="http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/151405/Maddie-died-in-apartment-court-hearsMaddie-died-in-apartment-court-hearsMaddie-][/url]

The parents did it

I don't think it would have to be a corpse that the dog scented in the car, maybe something a corpse had been in was put in the car. A bag with odour maybe? So a corpus wouldn't have to be kept for weeks

Something Else

The real victim of all this is a child - a child no one has heard of since the 3rd of May 2007.

Whether the mccanns are innocent or otherwise remains to be seen. Children statistically are more likley to be hurt or killed by those closest to them than a stranger. It is fact that the parents were less than cooperative with the original investigation. It remains that investigation came to a premature end partially as result of the lack of cooperation of the mccanns and their friends who were on holiday with them.

A little less shouting about the 'feelings' or otherwise of the parents and more on the fate of the victim and a discussion of the evidence which does exist is a heluva more constructive imo.

gozunda wrote: »
    The real victim of all this is a child - a child no one has heard of since the 3rd of May 2007.

Whether the mccanns are innocent or otherwise remains to be seen. Children statistically are more likley to be hurt or killed by those closest to them than a stranger. It is fact that the parents were less than cooperative with the original investigation. It remains that investigation came to a premature end partially as result of the lack of cooperation of the mccanns and their friends who were on holiday with them.

A little less shouting about the 'feelings' or otherwise of the parents and more on the fate of the victim and a discussion of the evidence which does exist is a heluva more constructive imo.

Nope. The REAL victims are a child, her parents, her brother and sister, her grandparents, aunts and uncles, and friends of the family.

A child does not die without incredible hurt caused to her family. To dismiss this is callous.

Poor little Madeleine the real victim in this sad story . Let down by those who should have protected her . But I often worry too about the twins . They are at an age where they will be questioning and wondering . Being 14 is not easy and they will worry and be uneasy about decisions made .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

Does Amarals book put forward a theory as to how or when the McCann's allegedly disposed of the body?

Something Else
    I don't think it would have to be a corpse that the dog scented in the car, maybe something a corpse had been in was put in the car. A bag with odour maybe? So a corpus wouldn't have to be kept for weeks

Some off the places investigated by the Portugese police during the investigation was a cold storage facility and the crypt of a local church. Portugal in early May is not as warm as areas further south in neighbouring Spain - with temperatures averaging between 12.5 - 17c for the Month.

Possible methods which would have caused delayed decomposition was one of the areas of the original investigation afaik. Such a scenario would also have meant that the body would not have needed to have been disposed of until much later.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement