Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PMA forms for life insurance

Options
  • 22-10-2018 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭

I'm having a bit of a saga around my mortgage protection.

The insurance company said 2 weeks ago that I need to have my GP fill out PMA forms for medical underwriting, but then didn't send them for over a week.

Then my GP was on her hols, but finally got back and signed the forms last Friday. Confirmed with her - all was fine.

But no update on my account on the insurance site, so I called them today. APPARENTLY my GP refused to send it unless they paid more than the normal fee (between €50 and €100), so they had cancelled the forms and wanted me to trek up to Dublin (from Leitrim) to go to their doc for a medical. I gave out to them (politely) for cancelling the form and setting me back days or weeks without even consulting me.

Called the GP to see what was going on - she is rather startled to hear this version of the story. She didn't refuse to send the form, she just told them the amount they were offering was less than the going rate for filling out the form (€130). She queried the amount, and they said they would investigate and get back to her. Then, nothing.

My question is - has anyone else here had to get the PMA form completed by their GP, and how much did it cost?

Basically, is my GP asking too much, or are the insurance crowd being unreasonable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

1.) Your GP is asking for above the normal fee (rightly or wrongly)

2.) The insurance company are refusing to pay over the odds

3.) The request for a medical in Dublin seems unreasonable based on your location.

Your GP seems to be economical with the truth....first telling you it was completed, and then after you followed it up telling you the insurance company are not paying up an increased fee (this is a refusal by any other standards). Here are a number of potential resolutions, the first of which would be my choice.

*call the GP and advise that the fee they are looking for is in excess of the norm and you are now under pressure as a result. (They may feel that their work and time are more valuable but that is another argument...they are implying the insurance company are to blame)....offer to pay the balance if necessary.

*ask the insurer again to pay the higher fee as it puts you at a major inconvenience

*if a medical is needed, request that it be completed with a local independent GP or a ‘nurse medical’ which most companies use.

It is difficult to assess properly without knowing the full facts, but if for example you have a long medical history with lots of medical reports and medical conditions, most insurers will pay the higher fee for the extra work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Tell the GP to complete the process, and pay the excess to them directly yourself.

Advertisement