Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann interview process

• 22-10-2018 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28 likeadoctor

Hey all,

I have applied for work as a driver with Bus Eireann and just heard back- after about three months! I am wondering if anyone knows about their recruitment process?

I've been given a date and location to show up for the first of several stages:

- Supervised assessments.
    - Interview.
    - Driving assessment.
    - Production of satisfactory references.
    - Pre-employment medical examination.

So a "supervised written assessment". Does anyone know what this will be about? I was given no information beyond this and I have got a much better chance of a swift response on here than from themselves. My best guess would be an assessment of my knowledge of the rules of the road perhaps?

Any genuine insight or advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

Hey all,

I have applied for work as a driver with Bus Eireann and just heard back- after about three months! I am wondering if anyone knows about their recruitment process?

- Interview.
    - Driving assessment.

Over 20yrs since mine but unless it's changed, an aptitude test with basic math and a report writing exercise. It's nothing too taxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 likeadoctor

Thanks a million, gbob!

Are you still with them? I'd be interested to know your opinion of them in general- pretty new driver myself! :)

Thanks a million, gbob!

Are you still with them? I'd be interested to know your opinion of them in general- pretty new driver myself! :)

I quit very recently, as long as you're prepared for long shifts, very little free time, work ¾ weekends, and constant passenger problems, you'll be ok. For me it was too much of a sacrifice and I needed to find a better balance in life... On the plus side, the pay is still prob the best in the industry, it's a relatively clean job, and they don't abuse the regs too much.

Haha, that sounds awful! But to be honest it's exactly what I'm looking for. Put the head down, avoid spending and save save save!

Thanks again for the input, it's very much appreciated- and best of luck with whatever is next for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kevwalsh044

Hey all,

- Interview.
    - Driving assessment.

So a "supervised written assessment". Does anyone know what this will be about? I was given no information beyond this and I have got a much better chance of a swift response on here than from themselves. My best guess would be an assessment of my knowledge of the rules of the road perhaps?

Hi there .

How did you get on with your supervised assessment ? I have one tomorrow and way wondering what it involves . I presume it it's like you said rules of the road etc basic maths maybe. Best if luck with the process.

• Advertisement

Hi there.

How did you get on with your supervised assessment? I have one tomorrow and was wondering what it involves. I presume it's like you said rules of the road etc basic maths maybe. Best of luck with the process.

Mine was today also! How did you find it? I haven't done maths like that since national school so I was well put out! Didn't even answer the multiplication question- cannot for the life of me remember how to multiply multi-digit numbers together!! Hopefully they don't take me out of the running just because of that... I've two degrees but damn, simple arithmetic stumped me today lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kevwalsh044

Mine was today also! How did you find it? I haven't done maths like that since national school so I was well put out! Didn't even answer the multiplication question- cannot for the life of me remember how to multiply multi-digit numbers together!! Hopefully they don't take me out of the running just because of that... I've two degrees but damn, simple arithmetic stumped me today lol

I was in the same boat with the 2 multiplication questions everything else was fine . Ah well all we can do is hope .

I was in the same boat with the 2 multiplication questions everything else was fine . Ah well all we can do is hope .

Dunno how we'd manage as bus drivers if we couldn't multiply large numbers together.....! :) Best of luck anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭Patser

Dunno how we'd manage as bus drivers if we couldn't multiply large numbers together.....! :) Best of luck anyway!

Bus Eireann drivers still handle cash ticket sales, so when 2 adults get on buying 2 x 12.30 return tickets, hand you a €50 but then 1 remembers he has a student card so now wants a €10.50 return card....oh and his little sister is also hiding behind him so add on a child ticket...and they also twitter open so they can complain you have them 20c too little change.

Patser wrote: »
    Bus Eireann drivers still handle cash ticket sales, so when 2 adults get on buying 2 x 12.30 return tickets, hand you a €50 but then 1 remembers he has a student card so now wants a €10.50 return card....oh and his little sister is also hiding behind him so add on a child ticket...and they also twitter open so they can complain you have them 20c too little change.

Haha, fair point I guess. That much I can handle though, that's all simple stuff you'd encounter from time to time in normal life anyway. Multiplying something like 47 X 4926 as in the assessment... Not so much!

• Advertisement

Has anyone had an interview with Bus Eireann lately? I'm wondering what I can expect as I finally have one coming up now soon. All I know is that there may be some conversation regarding the rules of the road... Anyone remember anything else that went on during theirs??

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lyness77

Has anyone had an interview with Bus Eireann lately? I'm wondering what I can expect as I finally have one coming up now soon. All I know is that there may be some conversation regarding the rules of the road... Anyone remember anything else that went on during theirs??

When's your interview? 🀔 mines Friday ðŸ˜

Lyness77 wrote: »
    When's your interview? �� mines Friday ðŸ˜

Same! Any idea what to expect? They aren't very clear at all about... anything! No dress code specified. They already have details of referees but asked for references to be brought...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ Axton Cuddly Slogan

Any idea how long the wait is to hear back after the online aptitude test? Did one this day last week, heard no more since. Did it once before, got to aptitude stage and got a rejection letter about 6 weeks later.

Any idea how long the wait is to hear back after the online aptitude test? Did one this day last week, heard no more since. Did it once before, got to aptitude stage and got a rejection letter about 6 weeks later.

I heard fairly quickly, the next day I think- but I believe they are not just as mad for hiring as they were a little while ago so you may very well hear back soon. Hopefully good news! How did you get on with it?

I heard fairly quickly, the next day I think- but I believe they are not just as mad for hiring as they were a little while ago so you may very well hear back soon. Hopefully good news! How did you get on with it?

They are crying out for drivers another driver told me, but as you say, it doesn't appear to result in a quick turn around for an intake of new drivers.

Hopefully i do hear back and it is good news, i've applied to them 7 times so far and only got to aptitude stage once before now.

Found the tests ok, the first one i only just completed it in the allocated time, the second one i flew it, i was always fairly handy at maths.

How did you find the process?

I heard the same but then we were told that they are just forming a panel at the moment. Who knows! Yeah it's been grand, just a little unclear at times. Looking forward to the interview to get a better idea of whether or not I'll be interested. I have a friend of a friend who is working for them but not very happy and mad to get work somewhere else. And the feedback on here in general isn't overwhelmingly positive lol. We'll see! Best of luck with it anyway :)

Since my last post i have been contacted to say i am invited to attend a supervised assessment, is this a good thing?

Since my last post i have been contacted to say i am invited to attend a supervised assessment, is this a good thing?

Yeah that's just the next stage so you got through :)

Yeah that's just the next stage so you got through :)

Thank god.

Do people turn up for the assessment dressed like they are going for an interview or in a tracksuit or similar clothing? don't want it to look like i an over dressed or dressed like someone who doesn't care.

• Advertisement

Thank god.

Do people turn up for the assessment dressed like they are going for an interview or in a tracksuit or similar clothing? don't want it to look like i an over dressed or dressed like someone who doesn't care.

I would say smart casual. Not quite as formal as an interview but definitely not a track suit. If you were going out for dinner to a nice restaurant type job ;)

I would say smart casual. Not quite as formal as an interview but definitely not a track suit. If you were going out for dinner to a nice restaurant type job ;)

Thank you, will do. What is the general success of applicants at this stage?

Thank you, will do. What is the general success of applicants at this stage?

I have no idea tbh! It's nothing too difficult though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Not sure if i'm posting in the right place or not. have anyone in here had an interview with the company? do they tell you straight away if it's yay or nay

Not sure if i'm posting in the right place or not. have anyone in here had an interview with the company? do they tell you straight away if it's yay or nay

i had an interview with them two weeks ago.. after the interview i done a driving test, the next day i done a medical and the day after i got the job. starting this Monday 😊

i had an interview with them two weeks ago.. after the interview i done a driving test, the next day i done a medical and the day after i got the job. starting this Monday ��

How were you informed that you were invited for a medical? I did the assessment and the interview yesterday, heard nothing back, sick to death of the trucking game.

How were you informed that you were invited for a medical? I did the assessment and the interview yesterday, heard nothing back, sick to death of the trucking game.

did you do the driving test after the interview? they emailed me 2hours after the interview

did you do the driving test after the interview? they emailed me 2hours after the interview

Driving test first then the interview. Heard nothing back. I take it if I haven’t heard by now it’s not good news

Grass is always greener....

Wouldn't go back near Bus Eireann, was with them for almost 20 years and decided I'd rather be unemployed. Most will tell you you'll be married to the job and many more claim the job cost them their marriage.

Horses for courses and all that but I'm looking for a truck job now.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭soundman45

gbob wrote: »
    Grass is always greener....

Wouldn't go back near Bus Eireann, was with them for almost 20 years and decided I'd rather be unemployed. Most will tell you you'll be married to the job and many more claim the job cost them their marriage.

Horses for courses and all that but I'm looking for a truck job now.

Good luck.

I will second that. Ex BE driver here too and would never do it again. 13hr shifts common with 4hrs unpaid in middle etc, horrible rosters and not as good to work for as you might imagine, if its as good as people think why are they constantly short of drivers????

Advertisement