Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing windows 7

Options
  • 22-10-2018 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

I am installing a fresh install of windows 7 (home premium) on my all-in-one PC. I come to the partition screen and it saying Disk 0 Unallocated Space total space 465.8 GB, free space 465.8 GB, which is normal saying that. when I click next, it says windows is unable to install to the selected location. Error: 0x80300024. when I press shift + f10, type in diskpart, enter, list disk, enter it mentions no Disk or anything. Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

leemaree wrote: »
    I am installing a fresh install of windows 7 (home premium) on my all-in-one PC. I come to the partition screen and it saying Disk 0 Unallocated Space total space 465.8 GB, free space 465.8 GB, which is normal saying that. when I click next, it says windows is unable to install to the selected location. Error: 0x80300024. I've googled it and no luck. Any help.

I searched for that error and found this

http://www.errorlive.com/error-code-0x80300024

Also, if try to manually create the partition does it allow it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I am installing a fresh install of windows 7 (home premium) on my all-in-one PC. I come to the partition screen and it saying Disk 0 Unallocated Space total space 465.8 GB, free space 465.8 GB, which is normal saying that. when I click next, it says windows is unable to install to the selected location. Error: 0x80300024. I've googled it and no luck. Any help.

Try manually creating a partition on the drive - click on Drive Options, then New, and create a partition from there. See if that helps.

If not, firstly make sure that you don't have any other hard drives connected to the machine bar the one you want to install on. Also, check out this video and see if its any use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4ilMAAk1Q8

If you have the installation media at hand.

I would use diskpart to clean the drive you wish to install and then attempt the installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

I searched for that error and found this

http://www.errorlive.com/error-code-0x80300024

Also, if try to manually create the partition does it allow it?
    couldn't

I went to that website alright but I can't delete or format because there greyed out. There is an option to create a partition but I don't know what number to put in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭bennyineire

NoDrama wrote: »
    If you have the installation media at hand.

I would use diskpart to clean the drive you wish to install and then attempt the installation.

Yep diskpart is you friend here to format the drive, this guide will show you how

https://neosmart.net/wiki/diskpart/#If_you_can8217t_boot_into_Windows_7

• Advertisement

Yep diskpart is you friend here to format the drive, this guide will show you how

https://neosmart.net/wiki/diskpart/#If_you_can8217t_boot_into_Windows_7

I typed in disk list after diskpart but no drives show up

I typed in disk list after diskpart but no drives show up

Does it just say no disks found when you run the list disk command?

Does it just say no disks found when you run the list disk command?

Sorry my mistake, found it but what do I do then?

https://superuser.com/questions/825017/how-create-new-partition-on-an-unallocated-space-using-diskpart/825068

Have a look through that, it should hopefully help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭bennyineire

type the following

"list disk" (this should show the available disks)

Now you need to select the disk, type "select disk 0"

Now use the clean command by type "clean" and hit enter.

That should be it then, reboot and try install the OS

• Advertisement

type the following

"list disk" (this should show the available disks)

Now you need to select the disk, type "select disk 0"

Now use the clean command by type "clean" and hit enter.

That should be it then, reboot and try install the OS

I have tried this and nothing

I can't understand why won't windows install on the partition that I have which is 465.8 GB? When I click new the default is: 476940

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I can't understand why won't windows install on the partition that I have which is 465.8 GB? When I click new the default is: 476940

Did you create the partition or is that empty space on the drive?

Did you create the partition or is that empty space on the drive?

When I get to where the partition screen is, it just says Disk 0 Unallocated space total size : 465.8, free space 465.8. Nothing else, just that one

When I get to where the partition screen is, it just says Disk 0 Unallocated space total size : 465.8, free space 465.8. Nothing else, just that one

Can you create a partition manually like I suggested before? It should auto-populate the size of partition to create - once you create it, you can select the partition for the installation. It'll say that Windows may create extra partitions but you can accept that. Any luck with this?

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Can you create a partition manually like I suggested before? It should auto-populate the size of partition to create - once you create it, you can select the partition for the installation. It'll say that Windows may create extra partitions but you can accept that. Any luck with this?

yes I clicked new, then I left the number as the default, clicked apply and then it said "To ensure that all Windows features work correctly, Windows may create additional partitions for system files" I click OK and then nothing happens

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

yes I clicked new, then I left the number as the default, clicked apply and then it said "To ensure that all Windows features work correctly, Windows may create additional partitions for system files" I click OK and then nothing happens

Did the first partition leave empty space for further partitions or did it take all the empty space?

Did the first partition leave empty space for further partitions or did it take all the empty space?

It left room I think. Not sure to be honest. All I know when I clicked on new, and then apply, no other partition appeared. Should it have? Do u know what number I should put it when I click on new if the one already there is 465.8 GB?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Can you take photo and display here of your DISKPART window with "list disk" command issued

It left room I think. Not sure to be honest. All I know when I clicked on new, and then apply, no other partition appeared. Should it have? Do u know what number I should put it when I click on new if the one already there is 465.8 GB?

What model of all-in-one machine is it? reason I ask is that I've seen some of those machines have a small SSD used as boot drive and bigger drive to be used for data although I'm not sure that's relevant in this case.

Have a look at this and see if it sounds similar to what you're seeing:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/927520/you-cannot-select-or-format-a-hard-disk-partition-when-you-try-to-inst

Also, have a look at this, it's indicating that the BIOS needs to be set to legacy and not UEFI if you are installing a 32bit version of Win7:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askcore/2011/05/31/installing-windows-7-on-uefi-based-computer/

• Advertisement

That should create a partition though. After you do this, do you still only see unallocated space, or do you see partitions created?

Can you take photo and display here of your DISKPART window with "list disk" command issued

I am unable to but I did follow this

diskpart.
    list disk.
    select disk {number}
    clean.
    create partition primary.
    select partition 1.
    active.
    format fs=fat32 quick

I got as far as create partition primary and then I get a Virtual Disk error:

That should create a partition though. After you do this, do you still only see unallocated space, or do you see partitions created?

still see unallocated space

diskpart.
    list disk.
    select disk {number}
    clean.
    create partition primary.
    select partition 1.
    active.
    format fs=fat32 quick

I don't think you can install windows on a fat32 partition, needs to be ntfs?

Try going through the steps again for diskpart but stop once you've input the "active" command.

Let's know how that goes.

!!!

format fs=fat32 quick

Full size screen picture please.

Its not only commands i would like to see. There is more info from it.

still see unallocated space

I'd be fairly skeptical about your installer then. Are you using an official Windows 7 disc, or a burned copy? Or a USB ?

I have feeling, booting from within original Windows itself. I could be wrong.

I'd be fairly skeptical about your installer then. Are you using an official Windows 7 disc, or a burned copy? Or a USB ?

an iso

an iso
    From where? From Windows you logged in?

• Advertisement

From where? From Windows you logged in?

I download it from a piratebay site and burned it onto DVD. it needs no product key

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement