Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting work in Galway as a drop out.

Options
  • 22-10-2018 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Hello, apologies if this isn't the place for this type of question..

I've recently dropped out of college, I'm planning on going back but it'll cost me a hell of a lot and so I'll be working for 2+ years to gather the funds.

I've registered with ICE and the likes..
    I'm just wondering what should I be applying for?
    I'm looking at Product Builder jobs for Medical Devices, clean rooms and what not.. that is very interesting to me and apparently it pays decently.

I can't just go work at a shop like most of my friends because I'm trying to find a job that's relatively well paying but more importantly has regular hours and options for over time.
    It'd also look much better for the courses I'm applying for (abroad) that require a written letter.
    I need to work as much as I can and save as much as possible so it's looking like this is my best bet.

I'm looking for any general advice, best agencies, type of work/jobs I should be looking at, and if there's any 'don't touch jobs like that' things to watch out for..
    I'm commuting from out the country too and relying on buses, so I could be caught if the place is too far from the bus routes.
    Much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Be very careful if applying to Zimmer Biomet (via Careerwise) They have some punishing shift patterns, day and night work, seven days a week, one week off. Basically no chance of any regular life away from work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭WillieMason

Defo stay away from Zimmer Biomet a girl collapsed at work due to the demands placed on her and has been left with a permanent medical condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

flazio wrote: »
    Be very careful if applying to Zimmer Biomet (via Careerwise) They have some punishing shift patterns, day and night work, seven days a week, one week off. Basically no chance of any regular life away from work.

This is why I asked the question, I had no idea and I've had people recommend Zimmer to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Are you able to train as a healthcare assistant? Lots of shifts in the hospitals and (as far as I know) extra pay for nights and weekends. The course is short and should be easy enough to pass if you are bright enough to get into college. Lots of nursing students do this type of work while they are studying.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

TheBiz wrote: »
    This is why I asked the question, I had no idea and I've had people recommend Zimmer to me.

It's difficult to get to by public transport though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭WillieMason

Where is the healthcare assistant course held?

Advertisement