Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is walking around the city when it’s dark, generally safe?

Options
  • 22-10-2018 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I’m a first year girl and my parents claim I should always get a taxi/bus once it’s dark outside. I don’t know how I could afford that. I have a few lectures that aren’t over till 6 so I will have to walk back in the dark. I generally walk home out the Kingfisher from NUIG, over that bridge and through the Galway Shopping Centre. Either that, or I can walk through Eyre Square, Prospect Hill and Bohermore. Is it really that dangerous, provided I don’t walk alone after 9?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Where are you going to?
    There have been some nasty incidents in the city over the years but no more so then any other urban centre. Stick to main streets, don't take alley shortcuts and you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 WhamBam7

Thank you. I’d rather not say exactly as there’s only fifty or so students out where I live and I’d rather not be identified haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

I would think coming out of the college on University Road, along by the courthouse and Wood Quay would be a more populated so safer route to go, but difficult to be more precise without knowing which side of college you are coming from and how far up bohermore you have to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Would you get a bike??

Suggest you take the busiest route. Avoid anywhere there isn't traffic.

Walk facing traffic across Bridge etc.

Don't wear headphones... Be aware of you surroundings... Have your phone to hand.

Common sense at all times. Don't walk if you're drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Galway is no more dangerous than any other large urban area. Such is life now it is better not to put yourself risk. Stick to welllit paths and try and have company if possible.

• Advertisement

I wasn't looking for an exact address, just a region.
    For example if you are walking all the way out to Renmore it might be tempting to walk across the rail bridge but I hear that's a rough spot and should be avoided.
    Investing in a bicycle might be an idea.

flazio wrote: »
    For example if you are walking all the way out to Renmore it might be tempting to walk across the rail bridge but I hear that's a rough spot and should be avoided.

FFS. crazy advice. A young girl murdered out on railway line a few years back.

Avoid railway line at all costs.

I said it should be avoided. Read more carefully and calmly next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 WhamBam7

Thanks for the replies guys. It’s beside the New Cemetery in Bohermore

WhamBam7 wrote: »
    It’s beside the New Cemetery

Get a cheap bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

WhamBam7 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys. It’s beside the New Cemetery in Bohermore

Across the bridge, up the Sean Mulvoy road is generally well lit and has a good bit of traffic on it even after dark. Its probably the shortest route to that accommodation also.
    I wouldn't be too wary or that route. Galway is generally safe to walk around but like all places it probably is better to walk with others.

flazio wrote: »

Telling an young girl from out of town about a dangerous shortcut??? Why??

She never mentioned Renmore.

She never mentioned anywhere until later. I gave it as one example of a place to be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭julyjane

if there's a few people in your class is there anyone else walking in the same direction at that time? I've often driven around there after dark and the footpaths on well lit roads tended to have a lot of people jogging or walking dogs

Edit: reread your original question. If you’re on about walking back before 9, then you are in even better position that I originally thought. You have a few options to get to Joyce’s roundabout.

If the Kingfisher-bridge-Bodkin’s point (name of the traffic junction) feels odd to you, then another option is to go to the Cathederal, Cross the river there, and follow the road past the courthouse. That will bring you past the IMC cinema to Bodkin’s, and is much busier.

No sense getting a taxi at that hour, 402, 405 & 404 all go from the southern end of the college to just beside Bohermore New Cemetery. 405 & 404 also stop close to the library IIRC.

——my original post——

Enough of the hatcheting, guys (eurgh, bad choice of words)

Considering you’re less than 20 minutes from Eyre Square, it’s nowhere near that rough of an area & reasonable safe. I work in Wellpark, just up the Tuam road from you, and every now & again i’d pass on the roundabout up to supermacs after my evening shift, at around midnight, & come back that way to my place in renmore. I’ve never noticed anything dodgy even at 1 in the morning, but I always keep my wits about me. Like anywhere, mind your surroundings & be assertive. Think “what would Liam neeson do?” You’re at the top of a hill, a good defensive position :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I’ve lived in lots of towns and cities in Uk and find Galway to be a safe place. I’m female and walk alone in the evenings often and have never had any trouble. Like others have said- stay on the main routes, don’t take short cuts and don’t have headphones on. If someone stops a car to ask you for directions stand back from car and keep walking. Same if someone walking approaches you to ask for time, directions etc You don’t have to speak to a stranger, it’s okay to look rude! The student union have high vis vests and emergency alarms for free so get those organised. Enjoy your time in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,637 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Get a cheap bike.

And a good lock. And don't just lock the front wheel to something, try to put lock through 1 wheel and frame.

Also, as others have said, don't be afraid of public transport. Use it first during the day to familiarize yourself and are sure you end up in right location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Do not walk alone at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

You will hopefully pal up with a few from that direction and walk hone with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No sense getting a taxi at that hour, 402, 405 & 404 all go from the southern end of the college to just beside Bohermore New Cemetery. 405 & 404 also stop close to the library IIRC.

Buses 402-Merlin Park and 405-Ballybane would be my recommendation, and would likely make the parents feel happier too. Both those buses stop right at your accommodation. (The 404-Oranmore goes up College Rd, so not nearly as close.)

There's no need for hi-vis on well-lit urban roads. (But if your home placr hss unlit rural roads, grab one to use there.)

But the personal alarm suggestion is a good idea. So is keeping your wits about you (no headphones, no texting/snapchatting etc while walking).

After dark is really no more dangerous than during the day. Most violence against women is carried out by people known to them, not by random strangers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Get a cheap bike.
    And a good lock.
    And lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

In general Galway is a pretty safe place, but use common sense - stick to main streets and roads when possible, avoid places/walks that are off the beaten track and try to be a little aware of your surroundings when you're walking.

Having said that the areas you've described as your regular walkthroughs are generally busy and perfectly safe. You should have no major issues walking through them even if it is 9PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Don't wear headphones and you will be absolutely fine. Lived up Bohermore for years, no bother at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you google it like www.google.ie/search?q=girl+assaulted+in+galway you will find some stuff but tbh it is a very safe city compared to most.

The Mayor of Galway, Cllr. Niall McNelis stopped an assault on a woman recently. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Buses 402-Merlin Park and 405-Ballybane would be my recommendation, and would likely make the parents feel happier too. Both those buses stop right at your accommodation. (The 404-Oranmore goes up College Rd, so not nearly as close.)

There's no need for hi-vis on well-lit urban roads. (But if your home placr hss unlit rural roads, grab one to use there.)

But the personal alarm suggestion is a good idea. So is keeping your wits about you (no headphones, no texting/snapchatting etc while walking).

After dark is really no more dangerous than during the day. Most violence against women is carried out by people known to them, not by random strangers.

That's a good suggestion. You'll probably never need it OP but good to have and might be useful in a number of emergency situations.

I'll just second what most people have said. Galway is fairly safe but it has definitely had its fair share of women being attacked over the years, and not just the high profile ones that make the news. Avoid those dark corners/alleyways and you should be fine. A bike would definitely make you a bit safer and you'll be amazed at how much commute time it cuts down. Buses are better than people seem to think too. If you get the real-time app on your phone they can be fairly usable. Pick up a leap card and it's only about €1.60 a trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Galway is relatively very safe.
    All the good advice is up there: A bike, lights, no headphones etc.

It's nuts to tell anyone not to walk in the city after dark, you just need a bit of awareness and common sense. It's your city to enjoy, so don't let fear get in your way.

Bike will save you money long term, and if you are having drinks, walk home with friends if you can. The odd taxi is grand if you can for special occasions.

Have a great time in Galway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

In 7 years in Galway, never had a single problem.
    I still wouldn't recommend any single girl to walk around late at night, and if you have to, just know where your going to so you dont look like you're lost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

If you walked from NUIG to Bohermore via town you're as safe as you possible could be because it's busy pretty much the whole way from there to your place. Adds a few minutes to your walk but you could negate that by getting a Galway Bikes subscription and using a bike to get from Campus to the bottom of Bohermore.
    Subscription is free right now if you register with a NUIG email address and use the promocode NUIG18.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭WillieMason

Telling an young girl from out of town about a dangerous shortcut??? Why??

She never mentioned Renmore.

Relax will ya

• Advertisement
Advertisement