Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

name a software development configuration management systems

Options
  • 22-10-2018 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Looking for some help.

For a small college assignment, I have been tasked with identifying a software development configuration management system and then answering some questions on it. Basically, I'm falling at the first hurdle. Can anyone please advise on the names of some software development configuration management systems?

I think Eclipse, I-CASE, Websphere and IDE fall into the category but I'm really not sure and my study text is very ambiguous. Would any of those be considered software development configuration management systems?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭(insert name)

Puppet or chef would be more like it

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭shawty

Puppet or chef would be more like it

Excellent thanks for the quick reply :)

Does Jenkins fall into this category too?

I'm still a bit confused on what exactly a software development configuration management system is!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

shawty wrote: »

I'm still a bit confused on what exactly a software development configuration management system is!?

No, Jenkins is a CI/CD tool, not necessarily related to configuration management.

Plenty of docs around that explain what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

shawty wrote: »

Jenkins is a Continuous Integration server. In short, while it's highly extensible and configurable due to the plethora of plugins available, it's most commonly used to automatically check out, compile and test code in response to developers committing. It is also commonly used for deployment automation.

I wouldn't call it a software development configuration management system though, as the configuration of a lot of the builds will be in the build scripts (ant files, maven pom.xml, build.gradle, etc.).

Using Chef & Puppet from the original response I found this - Best Configuration Management Software

Codenvy has a nice YouTube explainer video - link

Lots of it is still double dutch to me but I know more than I did an hour or so ago :)

• Advertisement

How commonly are software development configuration management systems actually used?

I asked in my own workplace, which isn't that small, and we don't use one. I mean there are configuration management policies and procedures in place obviously but no actual tool is being used such as those mentioned here.

I was told we considered, but never followed up on, jrebel. The video on their site says it can save devs 1 month a year.

I know they have to say that to sell the thing but does anyone have experience of this working in practice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

https://stackify.com/software-configuration-management-patterns/

When I read this I think it's Team Foundation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_Foundation_Server

But not just that one product it's all the other products used to handle the process. From planning to scheduling to communication.

I guess if you were setting up a large team from scratch what products would you need.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Ansible at a slight stretch might be cover this. Currently a debate at work whether to stop using Puppet for configuration management or switch to Ansible playbooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Our devops only use them for managing infra/env setup on AWS.
    We dont use them to manage app configuration, its just a separate repo from the code and jenkins pulls the correct version/env on deployment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

You are being asked about your knowledge of an area called Software Configuration Management (SCM).

It's a very broad term, they are giving you a lot of wiggle room. Look at the breakdown of categories explained here:

https://stackify.com/software-configuration-management-patterns/

Look at the categories mentioned under the section entitled "Software Configuration Management Tools".

Understand what each of the five categories means, and find an example of a commercial tool that fulfills that purpose.

For example, source control repositories: svn (subversion), git, and TFS (Microsoft product, team foundation server) are all examples.

Go on to another category like continuous integration and build management systems, you can easily Google that term to find examples.

By the way, IDE would not fall into this category of tooling, it is more of a code authoring tool. However it usually would have plugin support to integrate with the above systems.

Hope that helps, and best of luck with the assignment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Docker and Kubernetes are also worth a look

Advertisement