Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Encrypted Hard Drive timing out?

Options
  • 22-10-2018 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭

I have an encrypted external drive I use for work. I recently got a new laptop with Windows 10, my previous machine being Windows 7.

The drive is "disconnecting" when there is no direct interaction with it for some reason. When I say disconnecting I mean that after putting in the code it works fine for a while then the status light turns from green to red meaning the drive is no longer decrypted. I have a program running which then can't load further data from the drive as it has disconnected. If I reconnect by inputting code the program still wont load the extra data and I have to restart the software :mad:

Never had this issue with Win 7 and I still use the drive in other Win 7 machines so the drive is good. Any ideas?

apricorn-500gb-aegis-padlock-30-256-bit-aes-xts-hard-drive.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

As a guess try the power policies, it may be sleeping it when inactive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Why does my drive automatically lock after 7-15 minutes?

For Windows 8, the operating systems attempt to use USB Suspend in an attempt to reduce power consumption. When the drive is put into this low power mode, it will cause the drive to lock and return to a standby mode. If this becomes a problem, you can adjust the power settings on your computer or use alternative workarounds.
    Apricorn Product Support

Win 10 by default set for "Balanced" power plan.

Create "High performance" plan and see if it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭pah

Cheers I'll give that a try

Advertisement