Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Autumn Internationals Team Announcement/Talk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

what are your stats on audiences and how they are diminishing and the trends on what spectators like to see would love to see it, 
    The whole audience in twickenham jumped to their feet and let out the biggest roar of the game when that tackle was made it was a really effective hit 
    Yes imagine if Farrell had raised his arm 90 degrees he wouldve hurt himself even more... lol,
    Use the two eyes in your head to look at the photos you'll see he uses his arm.. 
    Its a fantastic hit

You can still have big hits and they're an important part of the game.

But when did making a big hit mean you have to launch yourself shoulder first with no wrap? I have used my two eyes. He doesn't wrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

what are your stats on audiences and how they are diminishing and the trends on what spectators like to see would love to see it, 
    The whole audience in twickenham jumped to their feet and let out the biggest roar of the game when that tackle was made it was a really effective hit 
    Yes imagine if Farrell had raised his arm 90 degrees he wouldve hurt himself even more... lol,
    Use the two eyes in your head to look at the photos you'll see he uses his arm.. 
    Its a fantastic hit

I have never said he didn't use an arm. Perhaps use the eyes in your head to read my posts? One arm came up but did not wrap....I have my suspicions as to whether that was momentum or a genuine attempt to wrap. Regardless, it was sufficient for the referee as an attempt (note: not wrapped, attempted to do so) and, on immature reflection, that was his decision. I feel it was a reckless challenge though by dropping his arm on his dominant side, though and I believe that advocating that tacklers should deliberately drop an arm to their side to make a hit to the upper body is madness; it would almost certainly lead to multiple concussions.

Players make tackles to the upper area against charging players in every game and don't get hurt. Is Farrell made of glass? If you think someone will get injured by trying to wrap rather than going in with a shoulder, then we would have injuries in every match because players wrap like that all the time. Some of them get bounced but they wrap and walk away fine. Farrell is the one who stayed down hurt after the hit at the weekend.

The home crowd in Twickenahm cheered when Farrell made a hit and the final whistle went to signal England had won the game?

Get outta here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

troyzer wrote: »
    You can still have big hits and they're an important part of the game.

But when did making a big hit mean you have to launch yourself shoulder first with no wrap? I have used my two eyes. He doesn't wrap.

He doesn’t have to wrap. He has to make an attempt to wrap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Is there a case to be made for only allowing dominant tackles, where the tackler leads with the shoulder and tries to make a big hit, below the nipple line, and allowing soak tackles higher with the arms wrapped to prevent an offload? It seems to me that defences are putting a premium on these dominant tackles, in order to stop momentum and prevent offloading, but this carries a high risk of hits to the head as the tackle necessitates going high to prevent the ball carrier getting his arms free to offload? A blanket ban on tackling above the nipple line would surely lead to more offloads and probably more continuity rugby (good to watch), but obviously not great for defences, so perhaps allowing soak/wrap tackles only above this line might be a compromise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Buer wrote: »
    Its a fantastic hit

I have never said he didn't use an arm. Perhaps use the eyes in your head to read my posts? One arm came up but did not wrap....I have my suspicions as to whether that was momentum or a genuine attempt to wrap. Regardless, it was sufficient for the referee as an attempt (note: not wrapped, attempted to do so) and, on immature reflection, that was his decision. I feel it was a reckless challenge though by dropping his arm on his dominant side, though and I believe that advocating that tacklers should deliberately drop an arm to their side to make a hit to the upper body is madness; it would almost certainly lead to multiple concussions.

Players make tackles to the upper area against charging players in every game and don't get hurt. Is Farrell made of glass? If you think someone will get injured by trying to wrap rather than going in with a shoulder, then we would have injuries in every match because players wrap like that all the time. Some of them get bounced but they wrap and walk away fine. Farrell is the one who stayed down hurt after the hit at the weekend.

The home crowd in Twickenahm cheered when Farrell made a hit and the final whistle went to signal England had won the game?

Get outta here!
    465615.png

• Advertisement

Beautiful hit

I've no idea why you keep posting the angle that actually doesn't show his arm trying to wrap....

If his arm is up there then hes taking his head off ... his arm is in the perfect spot to not make a high tackle and not make contact with the head...
    Its nearly impossible to wrap an arm around someones upper body and not get knocked on your ass , you take the players momentum with your shoulder not on your exposed chest... anyone whos played 5 minutes of rugby would know that ,
    Best hit of the weekend by a mile, hope these arent taken out of the game

"Players make tackles to the upper area against charging players in every game and don't get hurt." very rarely are players taking a contact that big..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Its nearly impossible to wrap an arm around someones upper body and not get knocked on your ass

If you can't tackle upright while wrapping without getting knocked on your ass then tackle lower. If you are tackling too high to attempt to wrap without hitting someone in the head then tackle lower. Attempting to wrap is not optional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

If his arm is up there then hes taking his head off ... his arm is in the perfect spot to not make a high tackle and not make contact with the head...
    Its nearly impossible to wrap an arm around someones upper body and not get knocked on your ass , you take the players momentum with your shoulder not on your exposed chest... anyone whos played 5 minutes of rugby would know that ,

That's not a justification for a shoulder charge

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Its nearly impossible to wrap an arm around someones upper body and not get knocked on your ass

If you can't tackle upright while wrapping without getting knocked on your ass then tackle lower. If you are tackling too high to attempt to wrap without hitting someone in the head then tackle lower. Attempting to wrap is not optional.
    there was an attempt to wrap but collision too big
    "Players make tackles to the upper area against charging players in every game and don't get hurt." very rarely are players taking a contact that big..

lawred2 wrote: »

That's not a justification for a shoulder charge
    It wasnt a shoulder charge..
    Every single head on tackle in world rugby is mad with the shoulder as the first point of contact ...the second point of contact is then the arm...
    The reason why the wrap was not completed is because the collision was so big that esterhuizen bounced onto the flor and could no longer have an arm around him..

465626.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

This immediately came to mind seeing that image

download_large.png

^^^^^ If the collision was smaller esterhuizen would still be on his feet and the arm would be around his back..... the size and speed of this collision means Esterhuizen had rebounded and hit the deck before the arm rounded the back....you dont tackle people with your arms first in a head on tackle .....
    Great tackle Farrell should be praised

465629.png

sorry my posts keep doubling up

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

For what it's worth I thought it should have been a penalty. Especially considering some of the incidents deemed reckless that are penalised these days.

This type of tackle was never an issue when I played. It's a rugby league import and the game is much the worse for it.

For what it's worth I thought it should have been a penalty.  Especially considering some of the incidents deemed reckless that are penalised these days.

This type of tackle was never an issue when I played.  It's a rugby league import and the game is much the worse for it.
    Slow mo down all the head on tackles that take place after the scrum half passes to a forward off the base of the ruck....
    They majority are illegal shoulder charges by this standard its just the speed at which the collison is happening is slower so noone bats an eyelid.

• Advertisement

This is a pretty big weekend of rugby when you stop and think about it. A lot of tantalising contests all through Saturday.

14:00 Italy v Georgia
    Italy are under serious pressure to perform here. Their clubs are doing better but the National team just isn't kicking on. Georgia would love to make a case for greater inclusion in major competitions at the cost of Italy. Expect this to be a lower quality game but as intense as anything we'll see all weekend.

14:30 Scotland v Fiij
    7th v 10th in the world. Two teams that love to hold onto the ball and move it to the wider channels with frequency, should be plenty of scores and entertainment.

15:00 England V New Zealand
    Probably the game of the weekend. England to my mind are in much greater disarray than people think but the All Blacks are not quite as clinical as they have been. Expect huge physicality from England but I don't think they've got anything other than hurt in their locker to unlock the All Blacks. 10 point victory for the visiting side, I think the AB's are playing within themselves as opposed to playing poorly personally, if they ship a few losses this season it will make their inevitable world cup win slightly meaningful!

17:20 Wales v Australia
    I think Wales would have a better chance of beating the All Blacks than beating Australia. It's important that Wales takes ownership of this fixture, they can't keep folding at home to SH teams if they don't want that living in their headspace heading to Japan. Will give us a good idea of where Wales are at the moment, expect this to be brutal to be honest.

18:30 Ireland v Argentina
    Plenty has been said, written and thought about this game so no point going further here. Ireland will be want to answer any remaining questions about their 23 before they face the All Blacks and Argentina will look to continue their run of form that has seem them take wins over Australia and South Africa.

20:05 France v South Africa
    Two massive teams both in need of a win. SA will be disappointed to have dominated England but come away with a loss and whilst they are making light of the tackle that ended the match, they no doubt feel somewhat hard done by. Brunel must already be under a little pressure, dominated by the All Blacks during the summer and an disjointed six nations, this is a must win for him to build some confidence in a World Cup year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The England game should be an interesting one.

If it's a tough game, and if England come close to the ABs, I can see our game being a big target for the ABs as they won't want to have come to the North and shown that the NH is starting to catch up with them.

On the other hand, if they destroy England, they'll be playing with some serious confidence.

New Zealand XV: Damian McKenzie; Ben Smith, Jack Goodhue, Sonny Bill Williams, Rieko Ioane; Beauden Barrett, Aaron Smith; Karl Tu'inukuafe, Codie Taylor, Owen Franks, Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Liam Squire, Ardie Savea, Kieran Read (captain).

Replacements: Dane Coles, Ofa Tuungafasi, Nepo Laulala, Scott Barrett, Matt Todd, TJ Perenara, Richie Mo'unga, Ryan Crotty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

New Zealand XV: Damian McKenzie; Ben Smith, Jack Goodhue, Sonny Bill Williams, Rieko Ioane; Beauden Barrett, Aaron Smith; Karl Tu'inukuafe, Codie Taylor, Owen Franks, Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Liam Squire, Ardie Savea, Kieran Read (captain).

Replacements: Dane Coles, Ofa Tuungafasi, Nepo Laulala, Scott Barrett, Matt Todd, TJ Perenara, Richie Mo'unga, Ryan Crotty.

Christ nearly every name there is what I'd consider to be a household name.
    Unreal talent.

kuang1 wrote: »
    Christ nearly every name there is what I'd consider to be a household name.
    Unreal talent.

Whilst the team is outstanding, I don't fear their bench. I think Ireland should be able to match it and probably better it, even allowing for a natural bias.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,353 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Depends if Ringrose is fit for the New Zealand game. His defensive game will be key to beating the All Blacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭The Caveman

The Springbok team to face France in Paris (in order of name, surname, province, Test caps, Test points):

15. Willie le Roux (Wasps, England, 50, 60 – 12t)
    14. Sbu Nkosi (Cell C Sharks , 4, 15 – 3t)
    13. Jesse Kriel (Vodacom Blue Bulls, 37, 50 – 10t)
    12. Damian de Allende (DHL Western Province, 34, 20 – 4t)
    11. Aphiwe Dyantyi (Xerox Golden Lions, 10, 30 – 6t)
    10. Handré Pollard (Vodacom Blue Bulls, 36, 299 – 3t, 55c, 55p, 3d)
    9. Faf de Klerk (Sale Sharks, England, 20, 15 – 3t)
    8. Warren Whiteley (Xerox Golden Lions, 22, 15 – 3t)
    7. Duane Vermeulen (Unattached, 43, 15 – 3t)
    6. Siya Kolisi (captain, DHL Western Province, 38, 25 – 5t)
    5. Franco Mostert (Gloucester, England, 26, 5 – 1t)
    4. Pieter-Steph du Toit (DHL Western Province, 43, 20 – 4t)
    3. Frans Malherbe (DHL Western Province, 26, 0)
    2. Malcolm Marx (Xerox Golden Lions, 21, 20 – 4t)
    1. Steven Kitshoff (DHL Western Province, 34, 5 – 1t)

Replacements

16. Bongi Mbonambi (DHL Western Province, 23, 10 – 2t)
    17. Thomas du Toit (Cell C Sharks, 6, 0)
    18. Vincent Koch (Saracens, England, 10, 0)
    19. RG Snyman (Vodacom Blue Bulls, 9, 0)
    20. Francois Louw (Bath Rugby, England, 62, 45 – 9t)
    21. Embrose Papier (Vodacom Blue Bulls, 5, 0)
    22. Elton Jantjies (Xerox Golden Lions, 30, 223 – 2t, 42c, 43p)
    23. Cheslin Kolbe (Toulouse, France, 4, 10 – 2t)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Wasn't Tuilagi left out as a 'precaution' last week, with an eye on this week?

Has the time come to just give up on him at international level at this stage? Absolutely riddled with injuries

jr86 wrote: »
    Wasn't Tuilagi left out as a 'precaution' last week, with an eye on this week?

Has the time come to just give up on him at international level at this stage? Absolutely riddled with injuries

He would struggle to get into a lot of international squads because of his continued unavailability, but England are struggling for centres at the moment and it's probably worth their while trying to get him onto the pitch.

He's also been in an England team that has beaten the All Blacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,353 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Tuilagi isn't in the side this week either.

15. Elliot Daly
    14. Chris Ashton
    13. Henry Slade
    12. Ben Te’o
    11. Jonny May
    10. Owen Farrell (co-captain)
    9. Ben Youngs

8. Mark Wilson
    7. Sam Underhill
    6. Brad Shields
    5. George Kruis
    4. Maro Itoje
    3. Kyle Sinckler
    2. Dylan Hartley (co-captain)
    1. Ben Moon

Replacements:

16. Jamie George
    17. Alec Hepburn
    18. Harry Williams
    19. Charlie Ewels
    20. Courtney Lawes
    21. Danny Care
    22. George Ford
    23. Jack Nowell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Ashton gets his first England start since 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I have to go to Kenmare this weekend. Don't ask!!😡 Any recommendations for pubs that will be showing the ABs match and the Ireland game would be much appreciated.

If it serves good grub, that would be a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

England's back row are gonna be shamed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

kuang1 wrote: »
    England's back row are gonna be shamed.

That backrow is so poor.

I need to see Brad Shields' "offload" on the try line again

• Advertisement

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I have to go to Kenmare this weekend. Don't ask!!�� Any recommendations for pubs that will be showing the ABs match and the Ireland game would be much appreciated.

If it serves good grub, that would be a bonus.

Not a big place. You'll find the matches on without too much trouble (certainly the Irish match). The Wander Inn is a spot I've watched a match in before although I wouldn't expect a big crowd or atmosphere. Can't vouch for food.

Australia game kicks off at 17.20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

World Rugby looking at revising scope of TMOs during these upcoming fixtures:

https://twitter.com/WorldRugby/status/1060538834004303873

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Not a big place. You'll find the matches on without too much trouble (certainly the Irish match). The Wander Inn is a spot I've watched a match in before although I wouldn't expect a big crowd or atmosphere. Can't vouch for food.

Australia game kicks off at 17.20.

Thanks. Very helpful. Not to worried about atmosphere or crowds. Multiple TVs would be a plus so that I can watch all the SH teams knock the crap out of you northern hemisphere fairies:D
    Speaking of which, how do you reckon your countrymen will go against the Aussies?

Wales could be winning by 100 points at half time, and they'll still lose to Australia.

When Wales play Australia they basically turn into Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

This is a pretty big weekend of rugby when you stop and think about it. A lot of tantalising contests all through Saturday.

14:00 Italy v Georgia
    Italy are under serious pressure to perform here. Their clubs are doing better but the National team just isn't kicking on. Georgia would love to make a case for greater inclusion in major competitions at the cost of Italy. Expect this to be a lower quality game but as intense as anything we'll see all weekend.

14:30 Scotland v Fiij
    7th v 10th in the world. Two teams that love to hold onto the ball and move it to the wider channels with frequency, should be plenty of scores and entertainment.

15:00 England V New Zealand
    Probably the game of the weekend. England to my mind are in much greater disarray than people think but the All Blacks are not quite as clinical as they have been. Expect huge physicality from England but I don't think they've got anything other than hurt in their locker to unlock the All Blacks. 10 point victory for the visiting side, I think the AB's are playing within themselves as opposed to playing poorly personally, if they ship a few losses this season it will make their inevitable world cup win slightly meaningful!

17:20 Wales v Australia
    I think Wales would have a better chance of beating the All Blacks than beating Australia. It's important that Wales takes ownership of this fixture, they can't keep folding at home to SH teams if they don't want that living in their headspace heading to Japan. Will give us a good idea of where Wales are at the moment, expect this to be brutal to be honest.

18:30 Ireland v Argentina
    Plenty has been said, written and thought about this game so no point going further here. Ireland will be want to answer any remaining questions about their 23 before they face the All Blacks and Argentina will look to continue their run of form that has seem them take wins over Australia and South Africa.

20:05 France v South Africa
    Two massive teams both in need of a win. SA will be disappointed to have dominated England but come away with a loss and whilst they are making light of the tackle that ended the match, they no doubt feel somewhat hard done by. Brunel must already be under a little pressure, dominated by the All Blacks during the summer and an disjointed six nations, this is a must win for him to build some confidence in a World Cup year.

Pity they didn't put 1 or 2 games on the Sunday instead of having matches clashing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How does co-captain work? Who chooses what to do with penalties and who does the ref have a stern word with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Eod100 wrote: »
    Pity they didn't put 1 or 2 games on the Sunday instead of having matches clashing
    Maybe but dont think countries want it.
    How does co-captain work? Who chooses what to do with penalties and who does the ref have a stern word with?
    Easy. Delegate to one.

US team to play Samoa in San Sebastian with quite a few irish links with Mullen, Quill, Fawsitt, Waldren, Maupin all born in or having played some AIL or other rugby here
    https://www.usarugby.org/2018/11/mens-eagles-name-starting-lineup-for-test-match-with-samoa/
    Titi Lamositele, Joe Taufete'e, Paul Mullen, Greg Peterson, Nick Civetta, John Quill, Tony Lamborn, Cam Dolan
    Ruben de Haas, Will Hooley, Ryan Matyas, Paul Lasike, Bryce Campbell, Gannon Moore, Blaine Scully (C)
    Replacements: Dylan Fawsitt, David Ainuu, Dino Waldren, David Tameilau, Hanco Germishuys, Devereaux Ferris, Will Magie, Tim Maupin

Yeah_Right wrote: »

Thanks. Very helpful. Not to worried about atmosphere or crowds. Multiple TVs would be a plus so that I can watch all the SH teams knock the crap out of you northern hemisphere fairies:D
    Speaking of which, how do you reckon your countrymen will go against the Aussies?

I'm in way over my head, you malevolently magnificent bastard.

What ever happened to Pat Lambie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

What ever happened to Pat Lambie?

He's at Racing. He tore his ACL against Leinster in the final and has been unavailable.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Wales could be winning by 100 points at half time, and they'll still lose to Australia.

When Wales play Australia they basically turn into Scotland.
    Wouldn't mind that .... the jocks get a result now and again ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Eod100 wrote: »

It is pretty poor. I'd imagine World Rugby can't be too happy. Two of those games should be pushed to Sunday. Perhaps this will change with the new format and World Rugby might have a central tv contract.

It is pretty poor. I'd imagine World Rugby can't be too happy. Two of those games should be pushed to Sunday. Perhaps this will change with the new format and World Rugby might have a central tv contract.
    Im not sure they would. Countries themselves wouldnt be too happy about games being moved to Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Im not sure they would. Countries themselves wouldnt be too happy about games being moved to Sunday.

If the tv deal was sweet enough they'd quickly change their mind.

• Advertisement
Advertisement