Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Seats for 3 Kids - 2010 VW Passat Saloon(NewBorn, 2.5 & 4)

Options
  • 23-10-2018 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    Looking for information of others that maybe in similar situation, new baby on the way so need to try and fit all 3 kids in the back seat.
    Will have the new board in the maxi cosi  cabriofix.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks 
    Mick

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I've seen these recommended. But unsure of availability here now. I think their used to be 1 crowd that fitted them, but not sure if they still do it.

https://multimac.co.uk/home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

We are in a similar situation albeit with a 162 Hyundai Tucson. Baby #3 arriving next month. We went to Kealys, mothercare and Halfords and the same outcome with all. Only option was to bring the eldest highback booster into the front, knock the airbag off and adult #2 sit in the back. We just couldn’t fit all 3 in the back on 2.5 seats. At least not with the combo of seats we’ll need for the next year or so.

We’ve admitted defeat and are changing to a 7 seater. It is a good solution for us though realistically as we travel to the country a lot and have zero space as it is with two kids and all the bags etc

There’s a group on Facebook called Ireland - rearfacing car seats for children and toddlers which is great source of information. Has files on the different cars and combinations people have found work. You might have different luck to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

+1 in the rearfacing FB groups Digs mentions. For example they have a 2011 Passat with 2 Axkid Minikids and a Cabriofix on the easifix base using the seatbelt. If you tell them what car seats you already have they might be able to tell you that you only have to replace 1. Of course they will only recommend a rf car seat for your 2.5 year old as they recommend all children should be rf until 4.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

4 ,2.5 and 5 month old here.We have a Ford SMax-7 seater.
    Only the baby is rearfacing but it just seemed the most sensible way to go.Rather than jumping through car seat hoops.The only thing i saw was a Diono seat that had possibilty but tbh it was 500eur and we would have needed two, possibly three.... it just seemed like too much....in the longer term we figured a new car would serve us better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

With that age children I think unless you go multimac it’s going to be almost impossible without changing the car. They’re expensive although probably not a huge amount more than changing the car, and they really keep their value second hand. You might even pick one up second hand for cheaper.

We have 3 kids and a Tucson, our eldest is almost 8 though - she’s on a bubblebum in the middle seat and that’s the only thing we could fit between the other two seats. It wa slightly easier to fit the other two in while baby was rear facing in maxi Cosi but got even trickier when baby turned because that seat is wider at back whereas when maxi Cosi is rear facing its widest at the part nearest the front seats if that makes sense.
    You also need to be able to access the seatbelt holders between seats too.
    One thing that made our lives easier at the start was having the middle child in an extended harness seat so we buckled him in using the harness between his legs rather than needing to access his seatbelt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

shesty wrote: »
    4 ,2.5 and 5 month old here.We have a Ford SMax-7 seater.
    Only the baby is rearfacing but it just seemed the most sensible way to go.Rather than jumping through car seat hoops.The only thing i saw was a Diono seat that had possibilty but tbh it was 500eur and we would have needed two, possibly three.... it just seemed like too much....in the longer term we figured a new car would serve us better.

Would you mind me asking what car seats you are using in the SMax. Probably looking at buying this when our third child arrives but I seen a report in WhatCar saying that three seats wouldn't fit in.

https://www.whatcar.com/news/best-cars-for-three-child-seats/n16743

jonnybravo wrote: »
    Would you mind me asking what car seats you are using in the SMax. Probably looking at buying this when our third child arrives but I seen a report in WhatCar saying that three seats wouldn't fit in.

https://www.whatcar.com/news/best-cars-for-three-child-seats/n16743

I wouldn’t pay much attention to that. They couldn’t fit their 3 seats in a Skoda superb which definitely does take 3 across.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The S-Max takes 3 seats across with out too many issues. The Galaxy can take 3 seats even if 2 are large rear facing iso-fix seats.
    The Skoda Superb may take 3 narrow seats but not 3 normal ones

Moonbeam wrote: »
    The S-Max takes 3 seats across with out too many issues. The Galaxy can take 3 seats even if 2 are large rear facing iso-fix seats.
    The Skoda Superb may take 3 narrow seats but not 3 normal ones

The Superb can take 2 Axkid Minikids and a two way elite. I wouldn’t consider the Minikid a particularly narrow seat. The trick to three across is getting someone who knows what they’re doing to install them like the Check it fits guys.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

We have a maxi cosi rear facing infant seat, a Brittax Romer, and a maxi cosi axis.The three middle seats are three individual isofix seats, rather than two and a narrow middle one.The belt to hold the Brittax in place is a bit tight, but the actual seats fit fine.
    I surprisingly quite like it as a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

shesty wrote: »
    We have a maxi cosi rear facing infant seat, a Brittax Romer, and a maxi cosi axis.The three middle seats are three individual isofix seats, rather than two and a narrow middle one.The belt to hold the Brittax in place is a bit tight, but the actual seats fit fine.
    I surprisingly quite like it as a car.

Cheers - assume it probably wouldn't fit three isofix seats across. 3 year old is moving to the next size seat so need to see if its isofix or belt.

Well I wouldn't see why not.....each actual seat is the same width (just looking back at it here!!) So I guess it would depend on how wide your child car seats are at their widest points.
    You do have the two seats in back too to take older kids seats.

Advertisement