Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good spots to hit during Jazz weekend??

Options
  • 23-10-2018 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

Haven't actually been in the city for the Jazz weekend in aaaages. Where would be the best spots to hit up? Looking for some real virtuoso stuff!!

Have tickets to a few of the official gigs but was wondering if any of the pubs or hotels had a bit of a reputation as being the best places to check out a bit of music.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Metropole is the spot for that I'd say!
    There's a jazz group regularly in El Fenix who are great, but on the Jazz weekend itself, the big names will be on the offical lists, and in the metropole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Personally, I'd hit the M8, N25 or N20.
    I can't stand jazz weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭RINO87

mikeecho wrote: »

Care to elaborate? Is it pure carnage?

I figured if I avoid the usual places that are a mess on weekends anyway and try to check out some quality music it should be quite good. A lot on during the afternoons too. Plus i've got the bonus of living on one of the bus routes thats running late, so taxi's wont be an issue.....and the night buses should be "interesting"!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

RINO87 wrote: »
    Care to elaborate? Is it pure carnage?

I figured if I avoid the usual places that are a mess on weekends anyway and try to check out some quality music it should be quite good. A lot on during the afternoons too. Plus i've got the bonus of living on one of the bus routes thats running late, so taxi's wont be an issue.....and the night buses should be "interesting"!

I think he means that Cork people are "over" the Jazz music as it has been a long running festival. Over the years there has been many "anti-jazz" events or "jazz-free" events organised across the city. However I have noticed in recent years people have warmed a little to it and embraced it for what it is, the music has also varied to include Blue Grass and other adjacent genres to Jazz music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

It's nowhere near as busy as it used to be - that's a good thing. I remember having to queue (and/or pay) to get into pubs. Good riddance to those days.

I actually prefer the Metropole during the afternoons, free in and it's a happy vibe. McCurtain St. in general is probably a good area to try, great music venues, pubs and restaurants all in one small area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes, mention the Jazz weekend, and you get the usual flurry of "I can't stand jazz" and "I hate it" from people. It's the 40th year of it, so fair fecks to them for keeping it going! 

There is also a Jazz parade on tomorrow night (thursday) with day of the dead style band(s)? First time they've done that. 
    For children also, the school of music has a jazz concert on in the morning done by the students.  Pink panther theme, the incredibles etc... it's great!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

pwurple wrote: »
    Yes, mention the Jazz weekend, and you get the usual flurry of "I can't stand jazz" and "I hate it" from people. It's the 40th year of it, so fair fecks to them for keeping it going! 

Those moaning cnuts can take a hike, they're not wanted around anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 WinOrLearn BusFighter

Thinking of getting Pablo Ziegler tickets for €40!?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I'm from Cork & I dread the jazz, purely because of how busy everywhere is.
    Usual bank holidays are overly busy as it is, because it will draw all the local crowd out of the woodwork. But the jazz attracts people from all over, which is great for the economy etc. but not so great when you're trying to order a drink in a sardine packed bar/club on bank holiday Sunday or trying to get a table in a restaurant at any point of the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

mikeecho wrote: »

What is it with boards.ie and posters like this clicking into threads and giving their opinion when its not in anyway helpful to the OP. Are you being smug or something?Nobody asked if you like it!!!! So nobody cares if you dont.

OP The woodford or Bodega are good spots, id recommend getting in early though so you can actually savour some of the music as both venues can get very very busy.

Metropole or Imperial or good too but the crowds can be huge. Metropole is akin to a college ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Jazz my arse just a big Bank Holiday weekend piss up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

If anyone's into techno while the jazz is on elsewhere, Dali will be rockin Saturday.

Donny McCaslin will also be really good

The Jazz parade last night was quite good fun, so that got the weekend off to a good start! Stopped into the bar in the imperial on the way home for quite a good 4 piece, their name escapes me but they were class, the weekend is shaping up nicely!

Headed to UNITY in St.Lukes tonight, looks pretty interesting, the the Metropole after...
    Stanley Clarke band on Sunday looks like a cracker as does the line up in Dali on Saturday! Hope everyone has a good weekend, and thanks for the tips!

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

Great parade last night. Well done to all involved in organising, real great vibe around the place. Jazz is definitely back to the forefront of the Jazz festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Jazz my arse just a big Bank Holiday weekend piss up.

Of course no one ever drinks on any other bank holiday. .

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭GeordieRebel

What’s the dress code for the Metropole on the Saturday / Sunday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

What’s the dress code for the Metropole on the Saturday / Sunday night?

There is none.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭GeordieRebel

There is none.

Thanks. Somebody in work had mentioned black tie and I was surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Can anyone suggest some pubs around the city other than the metropole
    that will have a good jazz vibe?
    I don't really know Jazz at all just want a bit of craic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Cona wrote: »

Morrison's island still going?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Last year we spent a few hours in An Brog and enjoyed it. I was in Counihans for a few pots t'other day, and they seem to have a good line-up and since I like that pub anyway, its where I would head (if herself decides we need to spend more money than we have this weekend).

Be prepared to want to hold onto your bar receipts to show others how expensive it bloody is everywhere though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Morrison's island still going?

If its the hotel you're talking about, its been closed for at least 15 years, maybe more.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    If its the hotel you're talking about, its been closed for at least 15 years, maybe more.

I think they're referring to the amount of "craic" available around there. Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

Three pages in and no mention of Riordans. Almost every time I head out in Cork it ends there and before we head out we always plan to avoid it. Like a black hole sucking people in.

Probably because it's a hole meant for people who don't care where they go and don't mind the muck that's usually played. Maybe it gets better around the jazz?
    It's the nearest equivalent to Copper Face Jacks in Cork so I wouldn't hold any hopes it would be good. If anybody likes wedding bands and that kind of pop medley vibe then it'd be a grand pick I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

The Oliver Plunkett can be good, 2 floors. Gallaghers good too. It'd be an achievement to avoid the jazz actually :)

Unity at st Luke's last night was epic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

I’ve been going to the jazz for 20 years and rarely have I seen town as busy as yesterday. Absolutely hopping. Great atmosphere.

The organisers saw it going stale a few years back and reacted. The band stand in Emmet Place, the various bands jamming around the city centre has made the festival more inclusive imo and taken the image of bearded jazz men saying “nice” away from the whole thing.

Great weekend for the city.

• Advertisement

Ended up in Deep South at the advice of the locals I was staying with. Absolutely jammed. The band were playing covers of some lesser known jazz artists such as blink 182.

Went to a few places before, Woodford was probably my favourite.

Advertisement