Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House to be sold, we dont want to go

Options
  • 23-10-2018 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HairMare

Hi all,

I'm not sure where to go with this, we were given 20 weeks notice in the middle of july, we are in the property with over 5.5 years, we have tried to find somehwere, both working etc, but we have a teeny tiny dog...

our notice is currently on 28 november, i have begged and pleaded for an extension until after xmas.

Property managment company won;t budge, they want vacant posession before selling, they have two other tenants who have longer notice and who are affected by same arrangement and they are being let stay whilst houses on sale...

Should i contact receiver or bank - i have offered to increase rent for the extension period also...

Any advice please ?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

HairMare wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm not sure where to go with this, we were given 20 weeks notice in the middle of july, we are in the property with over 5.5 years, we have tried to find somehwere, both working etc, but we have a teeny tiny dog...

our notice is currently on 28 november, i have begged and pleaded for an extension until after xmas.

Property managment company won;t budge, they want vacant posession before selling, they have two other tenants who have longer notice and who are affected by same arrangement and they are being let stay whilst houses on sale...

Should i contact receiver or bank - i have offered to increase rent for the extension period also...

Any advice please ?

Get onto the County Council Homeless section and tell them you will be homeless from the 28th Nov. They will offer advice.

The landlord sounds like they have given you the correct notice period, and they cannot sell before the property is vacated. The new buyer may want to move in before Christmas, so they cannot let you stay until after.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

If the notice was valid there is not much you can do.

What notice other tenants get won't matter.

While I understand being asked to move out after 5 years is inconvenient, that risk comes with renting a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Mod Note

Do not post illegal advice again.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HairMare

I understand that, but our house isn't on the market yet. and has no signs on going on the market.

The other two houses have gone on the open market with sitting tenants...

Who have almost 6 months left on their tenancies / notice.

All I would be looking for is to remain on a month by month basis after the notice period expires.

Not being smart, but they’re keeping to their obligations so you should find a new place and move.

You legally have no rights to stay (your dog is not their problem) as long as they’re doing what they should, which it sounds like they are.

Other tenants are not your concern, at all. That’s between them and the PMC but does not and should not have any bearing on your legal obligation to give up possession.

It’s a crap situation but it’s not their problem to find a new place for you. Put your energy and resource into making arrangements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

What do you want people to say? Stay and refuse to leave? My sister was in a similar situation with 2 kids. She was told tough luck we don't care we are getting our son to move into the house .

House was then put back up for rent 30℅ more. She brought a case to the tenancy board & won.

So keep an eye out that the landlord isn't pulling a fast one.

I have spent the last four months trying to find a new place to be fair, this is not the situation I want to be in, primarily because i work too long and hard for this hassle.

I was wondering if anyone had been in a similar situation and got a better outcome.

The other tenants houses are owned by same landlord who is in receivership - so its very much my business if they get to stay on in the houses.

this is my concern as our rent was below market value and we have offered to increase this... that's why i am considering contacting receiver / bank directly...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

this is my concern as our rent was below market value and we have offered to increase this... that's why i am considering contacting receiver / bank directly...

The landlord has legally given you notice to leave his property. On what grounds are you demanding to stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

The other tenants houses are owned by same landlord who is in receivership - so its very much my business if they get to stay on in the houses.

OP it really is none of your business at all about the other tenants at all. You're contract is about you and that and nothing that anyone else, despite being under the same landlord has, affects that.

If the landlord is in receivership and therefore the bank/receiver is the one ultimately pursuing the sale offering higher rent will not really make a difference. What they want is their money returned, not to become a landlord themselves.

I do feel for you in terms of that has been your home for over 5 years but ultimately the landlord has done their obligations in relation to giving correct notice to you. They are entitled to want to sell with vacant possession where they can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

OP. Even though you are paying below market rent, the LL may not be able to accept an increase, even when you are willing to pay more. If you are in a RPZ, then rent increases must follow RPZ rules. If its less than 2 years since the last rent review outside of a RPZ, it also cant be invalid for the LL to apply an increase, whether you are prepared to pay or not.

The teeny tiny dog, is a big big problem. Finding somewhere to rent is hard without a dog, and it gets much much harder with a dog - even a teeny one. I know that is tough, but its a jungle out there.

Finally, contact Threshold to ensure your eviction notice is fully valid etc.. They may find a loophole to buy you some time.

Unfortunately, the property owner will need vacant possession to sell, so you will eventually have to move out.

Good luck.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

I have spent the last four months trying to find a new place to be fair, this is not the situation I want to be in, primarily because i work too long and hard for this hassle.

I was wondering if anyone had been in a similar situation and got a better outcome.

It isnt your business at all if they are staying or leaving. Whatever they do does not matter in the slightest. You have been provided with legit notice yet you are trying to angle to stay longer than what has been offered. LL are given a bad wrap for not following everything by the book and when they are, you now see why ll are getting out of the market in droves.

DubCount wrote: »
    OP. Even though you are paying below market rent, the LL may not be able to accept an increase, even when you are willing to pay more. If you are in a RPZ, then rent increases must follow RPZ rules. If its less than 2 years since the last rent review outside of a RPZ, it also cant be invalid for the LL to apply an increase, whether you are prepared to pay or not.

The teeny tiny dog, is a big big problem. Finding somewhere to rent is hard without a dog, and it gets much much harder with a dog - even a teeny one. I know that is tough, but its a jungle out there.

Finally, contact Threshold to ensure your eviction notice is fully valid etc.. They may find a loophole to buy you some time.

Unfortunately, the property owner will need vacant possession to sell, so you will eventually have to move out.

Good luck.....

Be careful with this as you may find it difficult to get a reference if you are refusing to leave especially if the ll has provided you with the required notice. If a case is lodged against the RTB to evict you, you can potentially get blacklisted from certain ll. I know any time i check references against new tenants, i first check if they have had any disputes with the RTB and everything is public on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Would you contact the receiver and ask to buy which would save them the hassle of having the place vacant and on the market?

Good luck.....

Thanks for your message. we have tried everywhere. Were not in a pressure zone but i think they may be afraid to look for or accept an increased rent in the circumstances.

i understand the bank wants a return but the other houses in the portfolio are being advertised for sale at 25% less than market value for the estate that their in.

I think it would sit easier with me if we got till after xmas at least it would take some of the stress off me.

it will all sort its self out in the end but its the sheer stress at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cockadoodledoo

I don’t understand. You have been searching for the last 4 months and not found anywhere but you want to extend your stay on a month by month basis? That’s potentially even more stressful not knowing when the last month would be and where would you go then if that happened at such short notice?

Would you contact the receiver and ask to buy which would save them the hassle of having the place vacant and on the market?

We tried this option with property management company when the ll first went it to receivership - we got a fairly snotty "it would have to go to open market for transparency and making sure the ll's best interests are met. "

yet they have the other properties up currently for less than market - and they wont tell me the asking for ours...

we considered putting an offer one of the other properties but that will just result in someone of the other tenants in the same situation as us...

and a gap in between when we have to be out and they have to be out...

I don’t understand. You have been searching for the last 4 months and not found anywhere but you want to extend your stay on a month by month basis? That’s potentially even more stressful not knowing when the last month would be and where would you go then if that happened at such short notice?

the industry i work in busiest time is hear till xmas, im working around the clock new year i can have all the time i want off but nothing this side of it.

We tried this option with property management company when the ll first went it to receivership - we got a fairly snotty "it would have to go to open market for transparency and making sure the ll's best interests are met. "

yet they have the other properties up currently for less than market - and they wont tell me the asking for ours...

we considered putting an offer one of the other properties but that will just result in someone of the other tenants in the same situation as us...

Thats not a snotty response, he simply telling you the facts that are required when it goes into receivership. Its all about appearance and normally it need to be on the open market for a pre defined period before an offer will be accepted

• If you’re unable to find a property because of your dog then you may have to consider giving the dog for adoption or to a family member. The alternative is become homeless. The LL has done everything by law and you have no basis in which to remain beyond the notice period. The other tenants been given a longer time to stay is not really relevant either to your situation

• Advertisement

i understand the bank wants a return but the other houses in the portfolio are being advertised for sale at 25% less than market value for the estate that their in.

I think it would sit easier with me if we got till after xmas at least it would take some of the stress off me.

This can be a tactic by the estate agent to drum up interest.

It doesnt matter where it sits with you, you dont own the property and you are only renting. you were given decent notice and failed to find a place. Its up to you to move asap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Letting you stay after the notice period potentially invalidates that notice so I can see why they may just want vacant possession (advice I received a number of years ago so may or may not still be the case).
    Post the area you are in. Someone may be able to help.
    Dog is your biggest problem I would say. I wouldn't take a tenant with dogs myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Thanks for your message. we have tried everywhere. Were not in a pressure zone but i think they may be afraid to look for or accept an increased rent in the circumstances.

it will all sort its self out in the end but its the sheer stress at the minute.

It may have nothing to do with looking for a rent increase for fear that it wouldn't be given but more that they aren't looking to continue with the property being rented at all. Neither the receiver nor the bank are in this for the longterm aspect of rental return but to get the most for the property to clear the landlords debts.

A lot of places will be advertised for less than market price with the hope that it will drum up interest and go above the market price at the end.

I completely get that it would take the stress off but unfortunately in this situation, that won't be a consideration the bank or receiver will necessarily give any thought to. Their relationship is with the landlord and not you. And they've no guarantee that if they let it go that long, that you would actually leave after that period either.

For receivership sales they do have to go to open market for the sale so as that it is transparent rather than pursuing a private sale route. They may not know the asking price yet as they may be waiting for the vacant possession before getting the estate agents in to do the full valuation. Again the property management company somewhat have their hands tied by this.

While it's admirable that you are considering the other tenants, ultimately you have to look out for yourselves here. If you want to put in an offer, do. Likelihood is that the other tenants have been given their notice properly as you appear to have been and will have to find somewhere else anyway. You not bidding isn't going to change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Any advice please ?

Ask them. It's not illegal to ask, can't hurt and might help.

Don't ask for a month by month basis, legally such a thing doesn't exist.

But you can mutually agree to a longer-than-required notice period.

And just on case, start looking on AirBnB fir a three month place to tide you over the Christmas period till you have time again.

Ask them. It's not illegal to ask, can't hurt and might help.

Don't ask for a month by month basis, legally such a thing doesn't exist.

But you can mutually agree to a longer-than-required notice period.

And just on case, start looking on AirBnB fir a three month place to tide you over the Christmas period till you have time again.

yeah im going to ask - can't hurt - i asked the pmc and was told no but will try receiver / bank

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ross2010

You can ask but they won't grant it. They want you out so they can achieve the market sale price. With a sitting tenant its 25% below market value. The other tenants are left there as their leases aren't up and so notice to vacate for sale cannot be given yet, hence the reduced sale price. Receivers are obliged to get the best price possible as the bank will insist on that. They will also happily leave the property empty for a year whilst marketing it for sale rather than have a tenant in as otherwise too risky so I very much doubt you will get an extension.

Even if you offered to have the house looking fab for viewings etc and give them your assurance you will be gone long before sale closes they won't accept it. They cant. It leaves them open and exposed. So you are best off finding somewhere else to rent or airbnb and buy if you are in a position to do so. The dog may need to go to a friend or family member in meantime as even in a non RPZ most landlords wouldn't be in favour of a dog as heartbreaking as that is. Are you in a position to buy? If so I would do it, more and more landlords are getting out so will be harder and harder to rent esp with a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

HairMare have they issued a sworn Statutory Declaration that the house is being sold? Apologies if you've stated this already, but you're entitled to this and can challenge the notice if this didn't accompany your written notice. Your notice period would start again from the date you receive the Statutory Declaration. This happened when we bought a house with tenants in place and they were totally within their rights to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Zero Point

Is the property management company aware that you have a dog in the house? If they are and gave you permission it sounds like they were already being quite reasonable. Dogs do leave traces of odours around a house which are not always detectable or noticeable to the owners when they're living there but can be to visitors.

If I had a property that I was intending to sell, I would be removing the pet weeks in advance and give to someone to care for them in the interim in order to air out the house to remove any traces of pets to get it ready for the sale and not to put off any potential buyer. I'm sure a property management company would equally feel the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

All I would be looking for is to remain on a month by month basis after the notice period expires.
    You got 20 weeks notice, and you're not moving.

Why should they believe you that you'd move if they gave you a months notice when they got a buyer? You're digging your heels in now, so the LL would fear you'd play silly games if he got a buyer.
    They'll probably advise the OP to illegally overhold. Which is great if you're on the social, but if you work, the LL will be able to claim off you if he brings you to court over overholding. No reference, and a case against you will mean you've shot yourself in both feet regarding getting a new place.
    Probably 25% less than market value as the tenants there are refusing to leave.

• Advertisement

• In the end OP the issue with finding rented accommodation with a pet is not going to go away in a month or two even if the LL does let you stay. You’re best bet is to find someone to mind the dog for a few weeks, get a new place & ask the landlord to allow you to move your dog into the new apt. You might get lucky if you show yourself to be a respectable tenant and they could allow it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement