Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House to be sold, we dont want to go

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

HairMare wrote: »
    I understand that, but our house isn't on the market yet. and has no signs on going on the market.

The other two houses have gone on the open market with sitting tenants...

Who have almost 6 months left on their tenancies / notice.

All I would be looking for is to remain on a month by month basis after the notice period expires.

its not your house, its your home, that's the pitfall against renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HairMare

We got notification last Friday that our rent is going up by 90% in the new year ... not sure what the long term plan is...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

We got notification last Friday that our rent is going up by 90% in the new year ... not sure what the long term plan is...

so you're not leaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Is this a new place?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

90% is a big increase, had it been that much under the market rate, is it now comparable to other properties?

• Advertisement

no same place, it looks like we wont be leaving which is great - 90% seems mad but worth it not to move this side of xmas etc

cruizer101 wrote: »
    90% is a big increase, had it been that much under the market rate, is it now comparable to other properties?

a 30% increase would have brought us to around market - they have sent me a list of comparison prices which are all for stand alone houses either standing on an acre in a gated type development - some are up to an hour away.

if they took 5 houses avail immed in the same town they would be max 30% more than what we are paying, and those would be furnished etc

but look the main thing is were not moving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

a 30% increase would have brought us to around market - they have sent me a list of comparison prices which are all for stand alone houses either standing on an acre in a gated type development - some are up to an hour away.

if they took 5 houses avail immed in the same town they would be max 30% more than what we are paying, and those would be furnished etc

Well to be blunt, you're not moving now but you will be. I would have been out ASAP. Hanging in there with uncertainty about where you'll live in a few weeks, paying 90% more etc sounds waaaay more stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Well to be blunt, you're not moving now but you will be. I would have been out ASAP. Hanging in there with uncertainty about where you'll live in a few weeks, paying 90% more etc sounds waaaay more stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭djan

So did the LL extend your tennancy or did you come to some solution?

While I understand it on a personal level, it is not your house but someone else's property, once no contracts are being broken they should be free to do as the please with it. Hopefully it works out for you, at least for christmas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

You can appeal a rent increase to the RTB if it is excessively over the market rate.
    Others can probably advise better but look yourself for comparable properties, go back to landlord with those and try negotiate better rent.
    If that doesn't work you can go to rtb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Please just find somewhere else and leave.
    My family has a property rented to pay nursing home fees and the worry that the tenant wont leave when the house is required for a family member is unreal.
    We let them have the house even though they have a big dog, we were told dog was elderly and wouldnt have the run of the house. I drove by the property the other day and the dog was on the fairly good sofa in the living room looking out at me.

Reati wrote: »

Totally, but the initial pressure that takes off me which is a big help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

You can challenge the new rent if you believe it is above market value and the comparables provided are significantly different than your property. Note that exact location is not always a significant factor provided the type of location is similar (urban vs. town vs. rural), so just because a property is an hour away doesn't mean it's not a valid comparison (unless it's in Dublin 2 and you're somewhere in the middle of nowhere in the Midlands, for instance). If the comparable properties are significantly larger than yours or are a different type of accommodation (e.g. detatched homes compared to your flat/apartment) or they have other amenities yours does not that would substantially affect the market price, that would be cause to challenge their validity.

we got another letter in todays post to state that our original notice still stands... i cant understand whats going on at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭cordy1969

Dont see whats so hard for you to comprehend......

The landlord wants you to move out, gave you plenty of notice and yet here you are still digging your heels in and looking for ways of staying.

This is whats wrong with the housing market. Why would you ever want to be a LL.

I've been reading this thread this morning, and I'm quite confused.

You've rented the same place for 5.5 years.
    You were advised in JULY that you would need to move out at the end of November (20 weeks notice)
    You're not interested in moving out
    You dont have the time to find a new place
    You have a dog
    Other people, who have no impact on your renting situation, have got a different deal from you

I think that covers the scenario.

I dont see what the issue is. It's not your house. You rent it. You have been given ample notice.
    From the sounds of it, the landlord has done everything correctly, and you're the one who is causing the hardship

I'm sorry, but I have absolutely no sympathy for you whatsoever. What gives you the right to dictate terms to the owner of the property that you rent?
    You say that it's a busy time of year for you, so you can't look for another place
    You've had 4 months to look.
    Honestly, based on what I've read, and in my opinion, your attitude stinks, and if I was the landlord, I'd be less likely to try to accommodate you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Also if someone rents for seven years dont they get greater rights in relation to the tenancy.

You have been notified the owner wants vacant possession, you need to leave and its important this landlord gives you a good reference.

We let our house to the tenant with the dog because his last landlord sold the house and he moved without complaint and got a good reference.

We had scores of people to choose from but we were happy enough this tenant will vacate when we want the house back, that doesnt stop us worrying all the time about him digging his heels in and saying he has nowhere to go. That isnt our problem though and I dont want it to become another problem for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Dave0301

we got another letter in todays post to state that our original notice still stands... i cant understand whats going on at this stage

What I can't understand is why you still haven't moved out of the landlord's house.

The way you have handled this siuation does not present you in a good light at all.

I feel sorry for your landlord.

What’s going on is that they gave you a PFO ‘offer’ which was never intended to result in you accepting it. Instead of this bleeting, get the other part of the ‘we’ you’ve referred to on the case to find a place to move into. Be prepared to offload your dog on family or friends if it comes to it as it’s pure stupidity to find yourself homeless just because of your stubborn sense of entitlement. Be warned, no landlord or local authority are under any obligations to house your pet.

It’s time to get real.

Harsh but true.

• Advertisement

I don't know why/how you got notification of a new rent, and also got a date to be out by.

There's obviously something else going on somewhere along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭cordy1969

I don't know why/how you got notification of a new rent, and also got a date to be out by.

Its obvious the LL wants them gone....

Yes, that does seem obvious but why would they get a rent increase notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

What is happening is your landlord sent you a letter telling you to leave and then sent you a letter saying an increase in rent and then said notice to quit still stands.
    That is so the landlord will have a option to sell to a landlord as well as a home owner. It is hard to sell to a potential landlord if the rent is well below the market rent. Rpz are affecting the value of properties. Rent is too low your landlord may not get full market value.
    Letter sent landlord has more options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

2 different things in play.
    1 A valid notice to leave is in force.
    2 This also coincides with a time where a valid rent increase can be applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

tvjunki wrote: »
    What is happening is your landlord sent you a letter telling you to leave and then sent you a letter saying an increase in rent and then said notice to quit still stands.
    That is so the landlord will have a option to sell to a landlord as well as a home owner. It is hard to sell to a potential landlord if the rent is well below the market rent. Rpz are affecting the value of properties. Rent is too low your landlord may not get full market value.
    Letter sent landlord has more options.

That's not how it works. You don't just send a letter with rent increase, especially not to tenants who are about to move out, no matter if they like it or not.

Sending a rent increase letter doesn't magically make the property worth more because the possible rent will be higher.
    The whole story is very, very strange.
    I don't believe in at least half of it so I am out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Hard to tell this forum from after hours lately.

Are there and zones not in a rpz anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Jack Moore

the industry i work in busiest time is hear till xmas, im working around the clock new year i can have all the time i want off but nothing this side of it.

But you had 20 weeks, back then there was a heat wave no rain and you had 4 and a half months to move
    Why didn’t you do it then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Aruba08

It happened to us twice in 3 years. An absolute nightmare and a horrible situation but youre best to just get your head around it and move. Its not your house. Its just bricks and mortar and you will find somewhere new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

It’s not complicated.

You’ve to pack up and move out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement