Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House to be sold, we dont want to go

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

HairMare wrote: »
    thanks for your message, we have a lot going on from a family point of view aside form this, so this is hugely taking its toll. we are not being given the option of staying whilst house on sale which i find unfair but given the strength of the market at the minute it would sell very quickly etc

we would love to be gone and have it over and done with it - cos the stress is palpable to be fair.

hope you got sorted in the end
    As others have said. I wouldn’t take it personally. It’s just business. It’s easier to sell vacant. Plus when it’s empty, it looks more spacious.

• Comparing a dog to your child :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HairMare

Comparing a dog to your child :rolleyes:

well we were turned down for viewing for two properties due to teen, i was making a point that some automatically wanted me to get rid of the dog who we've had along as darling child - some people have animals on a farm etc but if you have a lap dog that starts queening for you when in another room, or sits by the door when they know to expect you home and doesn't answer back maybe you might see it differently - she's still a big part of the family

we have offered to pay double deposits etc so we do understand ll concerns but i know the other side a friend had rented a house out to a couple a few yrs back, they were the nicest people you could ever meet, it was lovely modern house all be it out in the country - the dog was like one of those burmesse mountain dogs in size and black, we were three days trying to remove all hair after they left - every time a window or door opened more hair appeared...

• You’ll have a harder time finding a house with a dog than a teenager. Even though they can both shed as much hair and sometimes be as loud. :pac:

I’m not saying you should give it up for adoption but if needs must give it to family or a friend for a while.

You’ll have a harder time finding a house with a dog than a teenager. Even though they can both shed as much hair and sometimes be as loud. :pac:

I’m not saying you should give it up for adoption but if needs must give it to family or a friend for a while.

lots of people have suggested to she be minded for a week or two and just find her way to new house but I'm not prepared to take that risk, i know that's not what your suggesting.

no one id trust to mind her, she is quite delicate and very used to her own routine, ie sleeping about 22 hours a day and watching a bit of judge judy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I have to take exception to all of the above, other houses sold for asking, and its unfurnished house and not an once of damage from the dog, the corgi's do more in Windsor. we had landlords permission for pets before moving in etc
    people are so quick to make assumptions....

I have a dog, if the house has wooden floors they will be covered in scratch marks from the dogs nails. If carpets then dog smell, which you won't notice but will be throughout the house so LL may have to replace all the carpets before renting again.....if not they will have to pay a large amount for a cleaning company to try and get smell out.....

Hence why majority of LL will not take pets.

Your current landlord probably had no choice 5 years ago when properties could be sitting for months/years without tenants.

Suggestion of leaving the dog with a friend and then the dog finds it way is madness. It will still mean your new LL can either throw you out straight away or ask you to get rid of the dog. Most LL will make a point of been friends with the neighbours so they will update them on what is happening in the house.....

If you ask single parents they have it harder getting houses so I don't get that point. If you have a job and can pay rent then landlords will take you quicker than someone on HAP, not that they are supposed to happen

It might be worth looking at the RTE program about renting at the moment, the recommendation of going to letting agencies and getting onto their list so you get recommended for properties instead of showing up at the door is good advice.

Some LL will come up with excuses if they don't like you or have someone else in mind. So the teenager and van could be just an excuse, Irish people don't like to come out and say they just don't like you...so will come up with some random excuse.

Most people are now getting in ahead of the property hitting daft, so the properties you are looking at could already be lined up for someone who has a recommendation.....

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I have a dog, if the house has wooden floors they will be covered in scratch marks from the dogs nails. If carpets then dog smell, which you won't notice but will be throughout the house so LL may have to replace all the carpets before renting again.....if not they will have to pay a large amount for a cleaning company to try and get smell out.....

Hence why majority of LL will not take pets.

Your current landlord probably had no choice 5 years ago when properties could be sitting for months/years without tenants.

Suggestion of leaving the dog with a friend and then the dog finds it way is madness. It will still mean your new LL can either throw you out straight away or ask you to get rid of the dog. Most LL will make a point of been friends with the neighbours so they will update them on what is happening in the house.....

If you ask single parents they have it harder getting houses so I don't get that point. If you have a job and can pay rent then landlords will take you quicker than someone on HAP, not that they are supposed to happen

It might be worth looking at the RTE program about renting at the moment, the recommendation of going to letting agencies and getting onto their list so you get recommended for properties instead of showing up at the door is good advice.

Some LL will come up with excuses if they don't like you or have someone else in mind. So the teenager and van could be just an excuse, Irish people don't like to come out and say they just don't like you...so will come up with some random excuse.

Most people are now getting in ahead of the property hitting daft, so the properties you are looking at could already be lined up for someone who has a recommendation.....

to be fair, im not suggesting sneaking in the dog, its what was suggested to me - im not prepared to take that risk

5 years ago market locally here was extremely limited all though prices were certainly lower

well i don't think its fair that you automatically as a working single parent are entitled to 900 odd hap, whilst on 30k after tax - if your on 30k you should be paying your own rent (obvs depending on circumstances)

i think some landlords are happier with hap or ra as they see it as safe money

in terms of teen we were refused viewing apt for same, in terms of van it was a terrace and she was afraid mary next door mightened be happy if she could see past it... i grew up in a terrace so i understand, property itself wasn't ideal from an access point turning would have been tight etc so no great loss there

to be fair, im not suggesting sneaking in the dog, its what was suggested to me - im not prepared to take that risk

5 years ago market locally here was extremely limited all though prices were certainly lower

well i don't think its fair that you automatically as a working single parent are entitled to 900 odd hap, whilst on 30k after tax - if your on 30k you should be paying your own rent (obvs depending on circumstances)

i think some landlords are happier with hap or ra as they see it as safe money

in terms of teen we were refused viewing apt for same, in terms of van it was a terrace and she was afraid mary next door mightened be happy if she could see past it... i grew up in a terrace so i understand, property itself wasn't ideal from an access point turning would have been tight etc so no great loss there

Most ll don’t like HAP for the reputation they hold, extra paperwork it carries and the the extra standards that HAP inspections hold themselves to. The only reason why they go for HAP is because the area is poorer and less working professionals base themselves there or if it’s a long term tenant with a good relationship already built, they might be more open to it

• Fol20 wrote: »
    Most ll don’t like HAP for the reputation they hold, extra paperwork it carries and the the extra standards that HAP inspections hold themselves to. The only reason why they go for HAP is because the area is poorer and less working professionals base themselves there or if it’s a long term tenant with a good relationship already built, they might be more open to it

And the fact you cannot discriminate against a HAP tenant.

And the fact you cannot discriminate against a HAP tenant.

Not officially...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

we considered putting an offer one of the other properties but that will just result in someone of the other tenants in the same situation as us...

The property you're in- will not receive an open market value- if it has a sitting tenant- it'll probably sell for 20-25% less than a commensurate property in the area.

If the seller is sane- and seeking to get the best price for the property, they need to ensure they have vacant possession of the property- esp. if its in an area that isn't Dublin/Cork/Galway where demand may not be as red hot.

If you are in a position to put in an offer yourself- why don't you do just that? You could have a valuer put a value on the property for mortgage purposes- and approach the receiver with a reasonable offer. If you're going down this road- do not assume that you'll get a discount on the open market price of the property- and the asking price on other properties is simply moot- as the common practice is to price them low- to encourage interest- get people bidding against one another- and drive the price up to where they really want it to be.

Look at www.propertypriceregister.ie for similar properties in the area that have RECENTLY SOLD to get a picture of what you can reasonably expect to pay- and use this as a benchmark- possibly increment it by 4-5% if its in the greater Dublin area- or up to 15% elsewhere in the country.

If you are in a position to make a genuine offer on the property- do it- put your best foot forward- but be realistic- and understand that receiver does not owe you anything- if you want to buy- you are competing with any other random stranger- you do not get preferential treatment- the only way you can short circuit the process- is by going to the receiver with an offer that they will find difficult to refuse- however, using the 'asking price' for other units as some sort of a benchmark- is not going to get you anywhere- you need to use real life values- not a notional price pulled out of thin air to drum up interest in selling the unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Most people with teens feel like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Most people with teens feel like that.

Just to reiterate- if the receiver tries to sell the property with a sitting tenant- the property is automatically devalued in comparison to vacant properties- and- the only person who can buy it is a cash buyer (no lender will give a mortgage for a property with a sitting tenant).

Ignore the asking prices of other properties- pay the EUR200 and get a valuation done.
    Be reasonable- and make a proper offer to the receiver (based on cold hard facts- not 'asking prices' or hearsay).
    The current situation is- you make a fair and reasonable offer- or you prepare (rapidly) to leave.

As for the comments about furnished/unfurnished properties- in most parts of the country unfurnished properties actually rent for a premium to furnished- however, the mindset in Ireland (among both tenants and landlords) is that property should be furnished. The sooner this mindset changes- the better (for everyone).

Just to reiterate- if the receiver tries to sell the property with a sitting tenant- the property is automatically devalued in comparison to vacant properties- and- the only person who can buy it is a cash buyer (no lender will give a mortgage for a property with a sitting tenant).

Ignore the asking prices of other properties- pay the EUR200 and get a valuation done.
    Be reasonable- and make a proper offer to the receiver (based on cold hard facts- not 'asking prices' or hearsay).
    The current situation is- you make a fair and reasonable offer- or you prepare (rapidly) to leave.

As for the comments about furnished/unfurnished properties- in most parts of the country unfurnished properties actually rent for a premium to furnished- however, the mindset in Ireland (among both tenants and landlords) is that property should be furnished. The sooner this mindset changes- the better (for everyone).

he has sold too at 5k over there asking which was 25/30 % below market for the estate... this is with sitting tenants... they have 6 months left on their notice

our issue is we're not being given that option - i understand people saying their situation is none of business etc but if had to pay a fee we will say water charge and the rest of terrace didn't would you not perceive same as unfair ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

This thread is bizarre... OP, you have been given notice to vacate the property, it seems that this was done in an above board manner and plenty of notice was given. That is all that matters. Your dog, your teenager your feelings, your desire to stay, your financial situation, your lack of time have nothing to do with your landlord. It sounds like a cut and dry situation of just get out of his house. You have genuinely been given plenty of time to sort yourself out. Your personal and professional situations are not relevant here... You have been given notice... Leave

he has sold too at 5k over there asking which was 25/30 % below market for the estate... this is with sitting tenants... they have 6 months left on their notice

our issue is we're not being given that option - i understand people saying their situation is none of business etc but if had to pay a fee we will say water charge and the rest of terrace didn't would you not perceive same as unfair ?

Your not comparing like for like though. That’s a utility and it’s meant to be paid. Your in a rental if the the ll wants to sell some with tenants in situ and others with eviction notices. That’s the ll prerogative.

Whataboutery isn’t going to put a roof over your head.

Fair doesn’t come into it. It’s legal and financial that matter here, not your perception of fairness.

This to-and-fro here is a waste of your time. Find a new place and move.

Put your kid ahead of your dog, find a friend or family member to mind it (stop making excuses, basically) and ensure the minor you are responsible for doesn’t end up technically homeless just because of your stubbornness and nit-picking.

As an aside, I really would like to see a situation where any tenant that overholds can be put on a register, even with the likes of the ICB. A fast-track eviction process for those who overhold would also be great. This is likely to result in good tenants having easier access to rentals with reduced risk for LL’s from having to assume the risks they end up with tenants like this looking for reasons they can’t/shouldn’t move rather than putting their effort and resources into moving. I write that as someone who has been renting for over 20 years privately.

They OP isn’t overholding now, but what are the chances they won’t, given how unrealistic a view they have of their situation and obligations here?

OP, handle the dog situation and find a new place. Simple as that. Stop messing about and making excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

What are you raving about?
    Water charges ffs

I think the LL has been more than fair with you.Its a business at the end of the day,they aren't your friend nor or you theirs.

You aren't going to get the replies you hoped for on this thread imo.

Best you can do is keep looking and start packing for the move.Get in touch with the council etc over the possibility of being homeless soon and see what help you will get.

Landlords get a bad rep on here and rightly so in many instances but this isn't one of them.

The fact they got 30% less with sitting tenants for other properties is likely a reason they want to sell the property you rent with vacant possession so that they don’t get 30% less than it’s worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ross2010

It is possible the properties being sold with tenant in situ are still subject to a lease agreement and therefore they cannot be given notice to leave until it expires. Rather than wait they sell with tenants in situ for a reduced cost. Your tenancy is no longer subject to a valid lease and so the valid notice was given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

OP,

Do you feel entitled?

Do you feel wronged by society?

Do you have no personal responsibility?

All i am seeing after reading the entire thread is it's my way or no way and they will just have to accept it, there are many many other working professionals in your situation who just up sticks and leave as the landlord has done no wrong to you and has fulfilled their legal obligation to you by giving the adequate notice.

Were you too busy in the summer to go looking on your days off?

First thing i would have done upon getting the notice is get out there and start looking, even with work this can be done,you hardly work 24/7 do yiz?

The dog would need to be put up for adoption or a family/friend would need to take it as said.

It doesn't matter what job you are in, Christmas rush or not, many employers are compassionate in circumstances such as yours to give time off or work a different shift if needed, especially where it concerns having a roof over your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

My undertanding from this long crazy thread is that the property is under receivership. The receiver has a duty to maximize the sale price of the property. Due to overbearing tenants rights in Ireland that effectively devalue a property with a sitting tenant, there is a massive incentive for the receiver to sell the property vacant at the best bidder. That is why the receiver is not going to entertain any offer from the OP (who is the sitting tenant!) at this time, when the OP is out of the property that he/she will be dealt with like with any other bidder (with no right to stay until completion!). Any other thought that the receiver should accept offers from the OP as a sitting tenant is just wishful thinking.

The previous landlord basically lost his/her property with the OP as a sitting tenant (obviously the rent paid - repairs - taxes was not covering the mortgage and previous landlord could not top up mortgage payments with his/her own money).  The OP should forget her previous landlord, matters have already been taken off his/her own hands. The OP had a good 5 years and now the the chickens are coming home to roost. This always happens in the long term when a business proposition does not make any economic sense (and if things reached receivership state, then they definitely did not make economic sense). For the receiver, unlike for the OP, it is nothing personal, it is just his/her job to maximize property sale value and the OP vacating the property is a necessary step towards that goal. The receiver has no social duty towards the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

GGTrek wrote: »
    My undertanding from this long crazy thread is that the property is under receivership. The receiver has a duty to maximize the sale price of the property. Due to overbearing tenants rights in Ireland that effectively devalue a property with a sitting tenant, there is a massive incentive for the receiver to sell the property vacant at the best bidder. That is why the receiver is not going to entertain any offer from the OP (who is the sitting tenant!) at this time, when the OP is out of the property that he/she will be dealt with like with any other bidder (with no right to stay until completion!). Any other thought that the receiver should accept offers from the OP as a sitting tenant is just wishful thinking.

The previous landlord basically lost his/her property with the OP as a sitting tenant (obviously the rent paid - repairs - taxes was not covering the mortgage and previous landlord could not top up mortgage payments with his/her own money).  The OP should forget her previous landlord, matters have already been taken off his/her own hands. The OP had a good 5 years and now the the chickens are coming home to roost. This always happens in the long term when a business proposition does not make any economic sense (and if things reached receivership state, then they definitely did not make economic sense). For the receiver, unlike for the OP, it is nothing personal, it is just his/her job to maximize property sale value and the OP vacating the property is a necessary step towards that goal. The receiver has no social duty towards the OP.

I thought the OP said it was other business interests of the landlord that caused the recievership.

Not the economics of the rental property.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Debtocracy

My advice to you is not to waste anymore time on this forum. The average landlord harbors lots of resentment towards tenants and they will project their anger onto you with personal responsibility platitudes.

As long as you don't bury your head in the sand things should work out. Keep negotiating for an extended stay while searching for alternatives. Legally you don't have any power but at the same time it's in the agency's interest to have a smooth termination of tenancy.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Debtocracy wrote: »
    The average landlord harbors lots of resentment towards tenants and they will project their anger onto you with personal responsibility platitudes.
    Jesus H Christ!
    As long as you don't bury your head in the sand things should work out. Keep negotiating for an extended stay while searching for alternatives. Legally you don't have any power but at the same time it's in the agency's interest to have a smooth termination of tenancy.
    Things won't work out if they just don't bury their head in the sand. The lmreceiver wants them out. They will soon have no reason legally to be there. Their dog will reduce their options so they should be out checking every available place

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

My advice to you is not to waste anymore time on this forum. The average landlord harbors lots of resentment towards tenants and they will project their anger onto you with personal responsibility platitudes.

:o
    What absolute utter bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Worst advice of the day award goes to .....

OP- I really wish you all the very best.
    As this thread has gone so far off the rails- I am closing it off.
    OP- if you wish to update the thread at some future point in time- please PM me- and I'll consider reopening it.

The_Conductor

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement