Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gussie Shanahan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Finally closure for the family, but let me get this straight. They actually found him 17 years ago?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Stab*City wrote: »
    Finally closure for the family, but let me get this straight. They actually found him 17 years ago?

There's a bit more detail given in some of the articles online. Suffice to say, not much was found. :/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The found unidentifiable remains 17 years ago. The DNA technology that could identify those remains is fairly new technology so identification was only possible recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

Closure? Do they know how he died?

The found unidentifiable remains 17 years ago. The DNA technology that could identify those remains is fairly new technology so identification was only possible recently.

What's the technology?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

What's the technology?

I have no idea, I only know what I read.

I have no idea, I only know what I read.

No worries. It just seemed like you knew what you were talking about.

Also closure probably is the wrong word. I guess now they can stop looking which is probably some bit of ending to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Yet some people are like, why dumb dumb did it take so long to dumb dumb tell the family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I believe his father was informed a few years ago he was involved in a skirmish that went too far, but nobody came forward that was involved.

Such a sad story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

Ok thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I guess there is some closure in this for the family. What a horrible ordeal they were put through.

I knew him and liked him. He was quite a joker but there was no malice in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cockadoodledoo

Mc Love wrote: »
    I believe his father was informed a few years ago he was involved in a skirmish that went too far, but nobody came forward that was involved.

Such a sad story

What is a skirmish?? A joke or prank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

What is a skirmish?? A joke or prank?

Do you need a dictionary?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Probably not the thread for petty sniping lads

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Pls have a bit of respect on this thread.
    Anyone deciding not to will need a timeout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Mod Edit: Nope. Unless you have something you're willing to share, I'm not having that suggestion bandied about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I knew Gussie from the age of 4, we attended the same schools were in the same class from babies thru to 1st year.
    I hope the confirmation of his remains can bring some measure of comfort and relief to his family and to his friends.

Hopefully the forthcoming review of the evidence will bring some needed detail to them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Big_Evil

Dont know how I feel about this to be honest. I worked with Gussie in Dell and he was one of the soundest people you could ever meet.

I think of Gussie every so often, and while I'm glad that some closure has been brought to his family and friends, its devastating to think that something nasty could have happened to a lad like Gussie.

Its also devastating to think that while we always struggled to make sense of what may have happened to him, its equally difficult to comprehend that in all this time, his remains had already been found, just not identifiable until now.

This paradox just seems to make the tragedy even greater.

RIP Gussie :( Will always remember you

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jog501

Big_Evil wrote: »
    Dont know how I feel about this to be honest. I worked with Gussie in Dell and he was one of the soundest people you could ever meet.

I think of Gussie every so often, and while I'm glad that some closure has been brought to his family and friends, its devastating to think that something nasty could have happened to a lad like Gussie.

Its also devastating to think that while we always struggled to make sense of what may have happened to him, its equally difficult to comprehend that in all this time, his remains had already been found, just not identifiable until now.

This paradox just seems to make the tragedy even greater.

RIP Gussie :( Will always remember you
    They were lovely words Big. I posted in another forum about the possible link to other Dell Security staff at the time; Des Walsh and Matthew Carroll. Their disappearance all around the same time is quite a coincidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

chicorytip wrote:
    Mod Edit: Nope. Unless you have something you're willing to share, I'm not having that suggestion bandied about.

What "suggestion" are you referring to? That he may have died by his own hand or at the hands of others? This is speculation, not suggestion backed up by evidence. It has been eighteen years since he went missing. If I were his parent I know which of those two ghastly scenarios I mentioned would be the least difficult to come to terms with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Jog501 wrote: »
    They were lovely words Big. I posted in another forum about the possible link to other Dell Security staff at the time; Des Walsh and Matthew Carroll. Their disappearance all around the same time is quite a coincidence.

I worked in Dell as well and I never realised those guys were missing either or that they were security at Dell....seems very odd that 3 security guards would go missing over a 2 year period.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Blazer wrote: »

I worked in Dell as well and I never realised those guys were missing either or that they were security at Dell....seems very odd that 3 security guards would go missing over a 2 year period.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Blazer wrote: »

Des Walsh was the security guard at Dell.

Matthew Carroll who i knew well didn't work at Dell and was not a security guard.

Gussie worked in manufacturing.

Advertisement