Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ETCI Cert - where to get a copy

Options
  • 23-10-2018 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

I need a copy of the ETCI cert in order to get engineer sign-off on a new build. The electrician is no longer in Ireland so I can't chase him up for this so I'm wondering who I should contact.

I've tried Safe Electric but have been told that they certainly don't have the cert as they would give it to the ESB to complete the connection.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Can you contact your local esb office and see can they root out the connection cert

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

TheBully wrote: »
    Can you contact your local esb office and see can they root out the connection cert

OK, can def. do that. Should they should have it, or is it a case of they might have it?
    I think the electrician is supposed to keep the certs for 6 years (according to safe electric) but in their absence, who is the authority?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

I think your REC would really be the most likely to have a copy of the Completion Cert. Out of curiosity, what happened to your copy (or did the builder (as the Electrician's client) never hand it over to you)?

OK, can def. do that. Should they should have it, or is it a case of they might have it?
    I think the electrician is supposed to keep the certs for 6 years (according to safe electric) but in their absence, who is the authority?

Tried this but ESB Networks only receive a notification from SafeElectric that all is good on the certification front so they can go ahead with the connection.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    I think your REC would really be the most likely to have a copy of the Completion Cert. Out of curiosity, what happened to your copy (or did the builder (as the Electrician's client) never hand it over to you)?

Project was a self build. I can't recall ever getting a cert of completion (and I was careful with all paperwork). REC did not confirm that he gave me one when asked, but is no longer available in any case.

• Advertisement

Project was a self build. I can't recall ever getting a cert of completion (and I was careful with all paperwork). REC did not confirm that he gave me one when asked, but is no longer available in any case.
    Fair enough. Needless to say as the client you should have been given a copy.

Ah look, I probably should've chased it before this amount of time lapsed but I had a connection so thought getting a cert would be a formality later. I didn't realize until recently that the REC was supposed to supply it.
    Lack of cert is preventing me from switching mortgage so it's a bit of pain at the moment.

Ah look, I probably should've chased it before this amount of time lapsed but I had a connection so thought getting a cert would be a formality later. I didn't realize until recently that the REC was supposed to supply it.
    Lack of cert is preventing me from switching mortgage so it's a bit of pain at the moment.

Not really sure what your best bet is, but hope it works out for you anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭thecribber

How long has the installation been connected.? You should have been given a copy when the installation was completed, why did you not ask for it? If the connection was made prior to 2016 the Origional contractor must have been registered with either ECSSA or RECI. If you contact these organisions with the name of the Origional contractor and the MPRN number (found on your bill) they should be able to track a copy of the cert. If the connection was made since 2016 the cert would have Been processed through Safe Electric who will have a copy. Again the name of the registered contractor and the MPRN will help them track it.
    If the work was done by an unregistered electrican and this electrician paid a registered contractor to do the certification as was common in the past, you have little or know chance of getting the Origional cert.

thecribber wrote: »
    How long has the installation been connected.? You should have been given a copy when the installation was completed, why did you not ask for it? If the connection was made prior to 2016 the Origional contractor must have been registered with either ECSSA or RECI. If you contact these organisions with the name of the Origional contractor and the MPRN number (found on your bill) they should be able to track a copy of the cert. If the connection was made since 2016 the cert would have Been processed through Safe Electric who will have a copy. Again the name of the registered contractor and the MPRN will help them track it.
    If the work was done by an unregistered electrican and this electrician paid a registered contractor to do the certification as was common in the past, you have little or know chance of getting the Origional cert.
    Just to avoid confusion you point out that since 2016 the cert could only have been processed by Safe Electric - just so that the OP knows that is RECI. They are operating under the name "Safe Electric". However even before 2016 paper-based certs from RECI would have had the Safe Electric logo on them (and presumably from ECSSA also).

• Advertisement

How long has the installation been connected.? You should have been given a copy when the installation was completed, why did you not ask for it?

A number of reasons I didn't ask for the cert, none of which help me now, but since you went to the bother of posting:
    1. Seeing as mine was a self-build, there were probably a hundred other things to be sorted at the time
    2. I trusted the employed professional to deliver what he was obliged to
    3. Because I didn't look into whether or not I should get a cert, I assumed that not getting a cert from the sparks was probably routine and ultimately OK because the cert was 'sent in' to SafeElectric in any case and I had a connection
    4. I assumed that my engineer would be able to simply confirm all was fine with the electric connection, by liaising with SafeElectric when the time came. To me, requesting confirmation from the ultimate authority made sense as it would avoid any chance of someone supplying a forged cert

If the connection was made prior to 2016 the Origional contractor must have been registered with either ECSSA or RECI. If you contact these organisions with the name of the Origional contractor and the MPRN number (found on your bill) they should be able to track a copy of the cert. If the connection was made since 2016 the cert would have Been processed through Safe Electric who will have a copy. Again the name of the registered contractor and the MPRN will help them track it.
    As per previous posts, I have contacted SafeElectric with no immediate joy. FYI, they don't need the contractors name as paperwork would be filed under the MPRN and would contain all relevant details such as the electrician employed.

Going a bit off-piste with this. Before hiring electrician I would have checked to ensure they were registered. This has no bearing on the query.

1 How long has it been since the installation was connected. ?

1 How long has it been since the installation was connected. ?

I didn't specifically record the date when electricity was turned on in the house but from a root around in my emails I see July 2016.

I didn't specifically record the date when electricity was turned on in the house but from a root around in my emails I see July 2016.

That’s good news. Any installation connected after January 2016 was processed by Safe Electric. If you send them an email outlining your situation, which is as I understand it.
    (A) you did not receive a copy of the cert. when the house was completed
    (B) the original Contractor is no longer contactable
    (C) you urgently need a copy of the cert to process a mortgage application

Include the address of the installation the name of the registered contractor and the MPRN number. I cannot see any reason why they could not track the cert and give you a copy.

That’s good news. Any installation connected after January 2016 was processed by Safe Electric. If you send them an email outlining your situation, which is as I understand it.
    (A) you did not receive a copy of the cert. when the house was completed
    (B) the original Contractor is no longer contactable
    (C) you urgently need a copy of the cert to process a mortgage application

Include the address of the installation the name of the registered contractor and the MPRN number. I cannot see any reason why they could not track the cert and give you a copy.

Well, as per my first post, I have already contacted Safe Electric. And to reiterate, they (at least the person I spoke with) said they would not have the cert, they would've given it to the ESB. That sounded incorrect to me but that was from the horses mouth. Nevertheless, I did at that time send them a follow up mail stating my request.

OK.. ultimately it sounds like I will have to wait and chase them up again if necessary.

I saw all your posts, Safe Electric said they give the Certs to ESB and ESB said they don’t receive the Certs, just the nod to connect. Obviously one of these positions is incorrect. Verbal information in a case Like this is simply a waste of time. Send an email as per my advise and keep sending it until you get a written response.

Success with Safe Electric. They 'dug out' a PDF of the cert. It sounds like they didn't have the hard copy. The quality is woeful and some parts can't be made out at all. But I'm assuming (again assuming) the engineer won't need to be able to read every detail. If it's good enough for Safe Electric it should be good enough for everyone else. Thanks all.

Advertisement