Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018-19 FA CUP

1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

.G. wrote: »
    They'd just won a treble and one of their fans burst into the press room to complain about the media talking about Mo Salah lolz.

It's great for City fans but realistically if you spend billions on a squad of players people are going to down play your achievements. Peps ridiculous assertion that they were underdogs in the league is him just trying to add some legitimacy to something he knows doesn't have any.

Did Pep really try to claim Man City were underdogs in the league lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Not the words but the attempt to direct the narrative that the fans and the "neutrals" lapped up. He said it was great achievement to win it when they were 7 points behind "a month ago" when it was actually in January but he's not good with calenders bless him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

SM01 wrote: »
    Off you go so. Trying to save face with put-downs doesn't disguise that you're the one with the Liverpool obsession.

Save face ,I dont know you.You are a stranger on a message board ffs :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

NIMAN wrote: »
    To be fair, Pep himself has taken some bad beatings in the CL.
    Check his record ;)

I was just thinking of PL actually,
    every weekend seems like , games kick off... Man city goal, man city goal :)

But I don't think he's that far ahead goal wise over his three seasons.

Peps ridiculous assertion that they were underdogs in the league

Mad, What did he say exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

League cup

FA cup

Premier League champions

The Tainted Treble :)

hetuzozaho wrote:
    Mad, What did he say exactly?

My follow up post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    I was just thinking of PL actually,
    every weekend seems like , games kick off... Man city goal, man city goal :)

But I don't think he's that far ahead goal wise over his three seasons.

Well they are a different class to most of the teams in the EPL, they'd have to be considering how much money he has spent.

If you take out the Top 2 in the EPL, the rest aren't up to much really.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Well they are a different class to most of the teams in the EPL, they'd have to be considering how much money he has spent.

If you take out the Top 2 in the EPL, the rest aren't up to much really.

I still think it's impressive what he has achieved. Don't think the money equals 'having' to be anything. (but TBF I dunno how far ahead he is in spending so could be very wrong, :) )

And spurs, chelsea and arsenal all in euro finals. Man United aren't against a bit of spending either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I still think it's impressive what he has achieved. Don't think the money equals 'having' to be anything. (but TBF I dunno how far ahead he is in spending so could be very wrong, :) )

And spurs, chelsea and arsenal all in euro finals. Man United aren't against a bit of spending either.

City's cup runs were ridiculous. Easiest run to finals you'll ever hope to see.

Yes, English teams that aren't City are all in Euro finals, but that's because the Champions League is as equal a playing field as you'll get. Stockpiling a squad with a wall of money is less significant. Whatever happens, once you get to knockout football in the CL, you're more than likely going to have to face at least 2 teams whose best XI can compete with the best XI of even the greatest squads.

You can buy domestic football. But it's a lot harder to buy the CL. And that is the place - the only place - where Pep is found wanting.

That City team is very beatable for a top team in a one off game, or even 2 game tie.

SlickRic wrote: »
    City's cup runs were ridiculous. Easiest run to finals you'll ever hope to see.

Yes, English teams that aren't City are all in Euro finals, but that's because the Champions League is as equal a playing field as you'll get. Stockpiling a squad with a wall of money is less significant. Whatever happens, once you get to knockout football in the CL, you're more than likely going to have to face at least 2 teams whose best XI can compete with the best XI of even the greatest squads.

You can buy domestic football. But it's a lot harder to buy the CL. And that is the place - the only place - where Pep is found wanting.

That City team is very bearable for a top team in a one off game, or even 2 game tie.

I still think it's impressive how he gets his teams playing so consistently over the years,
    - playing his way and proves if they do they will win. Like if I was gonna give any coach my millions :)

I get the whole money thing, unfortunately that's been the football world for many years now. And I would love if it could be tackled in a workable way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

When liverpool won the Treble in 2001 they beat mighty teams like Rotherham, Tranmere, Wycombe, Fulham, Birmingham and a team that doesn't even exist in a final for while to win theirs.

Give City credit. It's a achievement. We all love be in that position

I agree. You beat whats in front of you. All you can do. Their achievements on the pitch deserve the highest admiration if you're a football fan. How they got to that situation is entirely seperate.

I agree. You beat whats in front of you. All you can do. Their achievements on the pitch deserve the highest admiration if you're a football fan. How they got to that situation is entirely seperate.

And we've always had big teams throughout my lifetime of watching football. The money may have been amassed in different ways (lucky with when TV money flooded in, city size, fanbase size, marketing etc). It's always been unfair for me :)

When liverpool won the Treble in 2001 they beat mighty teams like Rotherham, Tranmere, Wycombe, Fulham, Birmingham and a team that doesn't even exist in a final for while to win theirs.

Give City credit. It's a achievement. We all love be in that position

Of course it's an achievement.

But people are talking about this team in the realms of greatest ever. That is the context.

Not one person, unless idiotic or completely one-eyed would put that Liverpool team with this City team. This City team is being talked about with United 99, Arsenal Invincibles etc.

Personally, that Utd team is above this City team.

And money means something to the context. If everything is stacked in your favour because you're oil rich, whether we like it or not, that makes a difference to the legacy.

• Advertisement

Of course it's an achievement.

But people are talking about this team in the realms of greatest ever. That is the context.

Not one person, unless idiotic or completely one-eyed would put that Liverpool team with this City team. This City team is being talked about with United 99, Arsenal Invincibles etc.

Personally, that Utd team is above this City team.

And money means something to the context. If everything is stacked in your favour because you're oil rich, whether we like it or not, that makes a difference to the legacy.

Ah big teams dominating leagues always had things stacked in their favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's 11 against 11, regardless of squad they can only field 11 against 11. Need to match their worth ethic for starters, and so many don't even get close. So many of the so called '' top players'' who are at ''top clubs'' are going through the motions, counting down the days in the week until another 1/2 million hits their bank accounts.

Ah big teams dominating leagues always had things stacked in their favour.

Success brings money brings success. It's different.

Listen... if City's dealings are all legit, then that's fine. They've just used legitimate money impeccably if that's the case, and fair play. It's nice to ruffle the status quo. I don't think that's likely the case though looking at the history and activities of the owners.

Success brings money brings success. It's different.

Ah so it's not the stacked in favour you've a problem with its the source of the funds. That wasn't clear to me in your posts above. Apologies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Pep with the 2 easiest cup runs climbing it would be easier to win the CL than what he did this season, then why has he not walked the CL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Talking of the game itself, anyone else think Sane was pretty poor when he came on? And also in the last few months when he's actually got game time.

I think Pep doesn't fancy him any more,and wouldn't be surprised to see him somewhere else next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    I know it's against UEFA rules.... but the FA Cup should get the 4th Champions League spot.

That would breathe life back into the FA Cup.

At the moment, it's akin to the League Cup.

The diminished interest in FA Cup has been a result of the success of the EPL and the UEFA competitions.

Top teams have to their eyes on the CL
    Bottom teams have their eyes on staying in the EPL
    Top teams in The Championship have their eyes on getting to the EPL.

There is no use trying to breathe life back into the FA Cup.
    It will never be the competition it was.
    It is what it is.

Ah so it's not the stacked in favour you've a problem with its the source of the funds. That wasn't clear to me in your posts above. Apologies!

No need to apologise. I think I'm slightly conflating the two issues.

Domestic dominance based on who has unlimited funds is an issue in itself, but it's more of an issue because of where the money is coming from.

Domestic dominance based on who has unlimited funds is an issue in itself, but it's more of an issue because of where the money is coming from.

Its always been an issue imo.

I just feel there are a lot of fans who grew up supporting the bigger teams who used to buy up the players from the smaller teams using their massive financial advantage and dominate the league. Now they are watching other teams do it and it's tough to take.

And the ethics around cities money etc I agree with you. But we are all complicit in things like that, we'll all prob sit back and watch the world cup in Qatar on our smart TVs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,920 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

FA Cup to be shown exclusively on free-to-air television from 2021 on BBC and ITV
    The FA Cup will be shown exclusively on free-to-air television from the 2021 after ITV joined the BBC in winning rights to broadcast the competition.

The four-year deal means ITV will replace BT Sport in sharing rights with the BBC from the 2021-22 season.

ITV will show more than 20 matches a season and the deal also includes live coverage of the Community Shield.

In March, the BBC announced a new four-year deal with the Football Association to show the FA Cup until 2025.

Up to 18 fixtures a season will be televised by BBC Sport plus highlights and online clips.

The BBC will have first and fourth picks of matches in the first, third and fifth rounds as well first pick of the semi-finals, with ITV having the first and fourth picks in the second and fourth rounds plus the quarter-finals.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48388980

Advertisement