Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018-19 FA CUP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

How about Leeds eh given QPR their 1st cup win in 20 odd years where they did not a replay

I can just picture you scrambling to find out the last Leeds result despite it being completely irrelevant to this discussion.

But since you raised it. Leeds changed even more players than Liverpool for that game and the financial importance of winning their league has FAR more impact for Leeds than it does for Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Most PL teams made a load of changes. Wolves actually ended up being one of the teams that went close to full strength. Other teams also rotated hugely however they had lincoln at home, blackpool away, rotherham at home, tranmere away, reading at home. Wolves away outside drawing a top 6 team is nearly as hard as it can get. City drew there, chelsea lost, they have drawn with utd , beaten spurs. They are a very good team that even if liverpool went a lot stronger are still capable of beating them as results have shown. Due to injuries the back 4 needed to be rested, the only arguement is that maybe one of the front 3 could have started. Personally I wouldnt have risked them a lot of football has been played by them in December and something had to give. Would have liked a bit of a run in the cup and a more favourable draw would have helped. Round 3 just happens to come at the end of the most hectic stage of the season so it makes total sense for all teams that are in europe to give some of their players a breather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

The absolute obsession with some clubs
    Fans�������� with other clubs is comical. Some amount of thanks by certain “fans” is comical to say the least.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Fans�������� with other clubs is comical. Some amount of thanks by certain “fans” is comical to say the least.

Aww, you got slapped down for making a shìt joke about United and now you're playing the obsession card :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Aww, you got slapped down for making a shìt joke about United and now you're playing the obsession card :pac:

CluelessDisloyalJaeger-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Well if it's comparisons we are talking, then I'd say Klopp was more like Mourinho in trying to deflect away from the team and himself, which by the look of it he may have achieved. Your assumption is plainly obvious, in that I am a Liverpool fan, which I am not.
    You assumed wrong ,I couldn't care less who you are a fan of,you made a piss poor attempt at humour .

I mentioned Klopp ,he also made a piss poor attempt at an excuse a few hours earlier after their FA cup tie.

Maybe take a few days or weeks and come back with some new material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

yabadabado wrote: »
    You assumed wrong ,I couldn't care less who you are a fan of,you made a piss poor attempt at humour .

I mentioned Klopp ,he also made a piss poor attempt at an excuse a few hours earlier after their FA cup tie.

Maybe take a few days or weeks and come back with some new material.

vrxorf6.gifssl image hosting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

When is school back?

When is school back?

Teacher probably wrote it in your diary for you Harry.

• Advertisement

No sir I had one post and a reply from one of the aforementioned fans😂 I’m not a fan of Utd or Liverpool, but the obsession from your thankers is comical😂😂😂😂, obviously hit a nerve.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Enjoyable game so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

When is school back?

Implying people are childish when you have posted this recently

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109029003&postcount=455

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

No sir I had one post and a reply from one of the aforementioned fans�� I’m not a fan of Utd or Liverpool, but the obsession from your thankers is comical��������, obviously hit a nerve.

I wouldn't be one for this whole thanking malarkey and I do notice that there are certain posters in the Man Utd and Liverpool field who "thank" anything that is some sort of a dig at the club they don't support, no matter what, it is like an instinct reaction, but if ever there ever was a post crying out to be "thanked" it was yours. I mean it wasn't an opinion, it was cheap attempt at humour and there wasn't anything that merits it being there other than a glorified tr*ll post, the type which the "oh so delicate" fans get worked up about.

So to cut it short, don't be such a hypocrite! I think that is the point here.

Place thanks below.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Also, back to the FA Cup talk please.

• Advertisement

I'd assume the request for fa cup talk was for discussion to move on from teams that are no longer in the competition.

Kiith wrote: »
    Enjoyable game so far.

I only realised that tonight's game isn't fa cup game haha. It's kinda simmering away here ready to boil over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

quarryman wrote: »
    I can just picture you scrambling to find out the last Leeds result despite it being completely irrelevant to this discussion.

But since you raised it. Leeds changed even more players than Liverpool for that game and the financial importance of winning their league has FAR more impact for Leeds than it does for Liverpool.

I was talking about teams beat in the FA Cup so it is relevant to the FA Cup thread, not hard to find the last Leeds result i posted it few pages back they lost 2-1 to QPR, the other stat i head on Football weekly about it is the 1st time QPR have won in the FA Cup in 20 odd years without needing a replay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

On BBC. And RTE. And UTV. And, er, BT Sport...

And how could I forget Sky

keanekane.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Spurs v palace is the 27th of January Sunday at four p.m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

3rd Round Replays
    Tuesday 15th January 19:45 Kick-Offs

Blackburn Rovers V Newcastle United - Live on BT Sport 2
    Luton Town V Sheffield Wednesday
    Stoke City V Shrewsbury Town

Wednesday 16th January 19:45 Kick-Off
    Southampton V Derby County - Live on BBC One

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Well Blackburn are well & truly back into this tie. 2-0 down back to 2-2 just before HT

3rd Round Replays
    Tuesday 15th January 19:45 Kick-Offs

Blackburn Rovers V Newcastle United - Live on BT Sport 2

Not quite the game it might have been round 1995 but pretty decent first half:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just tuning in now - what happened with Lascelles? I see he came on for 10 minutes in the second half, and went off again. And did Clark come off with injury, or just to give Lascelles some game time?

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Just tuning in now - what happened with Lascelles? I see he came on for 10 minutes in the second half, and went off again. And did Clark come off with injury, or just to give Lascelles some game time?
    Lasceles’s hamstring went after a couple of minutes but for some reason he stayed on for about 10

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lasceles’s hamstring went after a couple of minutes but for some reason he stayed on for about 10

...creating more problems for the Newcastle defence - it was all a bit bizarre really

Tyrese Campbell scored a goal set up by Thomas ince for stoke tonight. Football getting like Irish politicsðŸ˜

Derby Co nearly up on BBC One, they started under a bit of pressure but have grown in to this with some lovely pass and move. VAR is taking an age and they've ruled it offside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Derby Co nearly up on BBC One, they started under a bit of pressure but have grown in to this with some lovely pass and move. VAR is taking an age and they've ruled it offside

That's the problem with VAR in my view.

Huge delay, and a goal disallowed for at best a marginal offside, possibly even the players were level. If u look for every technical foul in the build up to goals in future, games will never get finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

That's the problem with VAR in my view.

Huge delay, and a goal disallowed for at best a marginal offside, possibly even the players were level. If u look for every technical foul in the build up to goals in future, games will never get finished.

But it was a correct decision by VAR. You’d rather a wrong decision but immediate?

What if your team was at the receiving end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Don't know why Shearer is complaining. VAR got it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,924 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I thought VAR was only going to be used for a clear and obvious mistake?

There is nothing clear and obvious about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

callaway92 wrote: »
    But it was a correct decision by VAR. You’d rather a wrong decision but immediate?

What if your team was at the receiving end?

I would actually, especially in as tight a call as that one. The 'benefit of the doubt ' is supposed to go to the attacker. The ruling on the pitch should stand if its a close call. If its not obvious it should stand. Wrong calls happen all the time, why does it have to be perfect anyway??

This call is far from clearcut by the way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I would actually, especially in as tight a call as that one. The 'benefit of the doubt ' is supposed to go to the attacker. The ruling on the pitch should stand if its a close call. If its not obvious it should stand. Wrong calls happen all the time, why does it have to be perfect anyway??

This call is far from clearcut by the way...

Haha... ya I’m sure you’d be fine with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Don't know why Shearer is complaining. VAR got it right.

So you believe it was clearly offside then? In my view that was hardly clear cut and benefit of doubt should have gone with the attacker. Derby are severely unfortunate there.

I'm all for VAR it's had teething issues in other countries but English FA are truly outdoing them on their implementation of the system. That Burnley peno bet all out though lad on the run up to take it and peno call is overturned...embarassing :pac:

So you believe it was clearly offside then? In my view that was hardly clear cut and benefit of doubt should have gone with the attacker. Derby are severely unfortunate there.

I'm all for VAR it's had teething issues in other countries but English FA are truly outdoing them on their implementation of the system. That Burnley peno bet all out though lad on the run up to take it and peno call is overturned...embarassing :pac:

Belief has nothing to do with it. It was offside. And Shearer is looking at the player's foot over the line and still insisting he doesn't think it was offside. He needs to go to Specsavers.

Imagine England or Newcastle being knocked out of a semi-final by a goal like that. You think he'd be saying you've got to give the benefit to the attacker?

Whatever, the FA will be under massive pressure that they created if they insist on doing forensic examination of every possible offside. Make it simple - clear errors only.

Wilson with a fine strike at the goalie, Soton better with the formation switch

Clear and obvious doesn't apply to offsides.
    Offside is an objective decision

This is a crucial point, and why those shouting that the incident was not "a clear and obvious error" are arguing over an irrelevance.

The "clear and obvious error" consideration within VAR will only be used for subjective decisions -- penalties, fouls, possible red cards. They are decisions which are open to interpretation, and they are also the calls that the VAR can ask the match referee to look at again on his pitchside monitor.

But offside is different. You are offside or you are not. It's a factual decision based on the position of, usually, two players on the pitch. The same goes for the ball going out of play, it is objective and will never be judged on being "a clear and obvious error."

The only thing that can be subjective about an offside decision is whether a goalkeeper's line of sight has been impeded.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/english-premier-league/23/blog/post/3389032/var-offside-is-an-objective-decision-not-a-clear-and-obvious-error

Shearer hasn't a clue.

More VAR, this is onside and given as such! Marriot judged not to have touched the ball while offside

2-1 Harry Wilson with the goal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Imagine England or Newcastle being knocked out of a semi-final by a goal like that. You think he'd be saying you've got to give the benefit to the attacker?

Newcastle actually scored an offside goal last night if they had this ref it wouldn't have stood.

2-2 now. Southampton wobbling.

Derby equalise - Waghorn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

BBC news praying for a goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Derby equalise - Waghorn.

Gavin Whyte like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Lawrence should of scored..agh !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Great 2nd half.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I had heard of Tomori before but never saw him play before tonight.

Thought he was japanese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

One of Tomoris better games...
    Does sound like a Japanese city or food !

Derby fans chanting var var as Redmond skied it.

Derby to play Accrington Stanley

Ireland's Richard Keogh wins it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement