Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunt Wheels

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I have a pair of their race aero, and they are glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

I have a pair of their 'all weather' jobs (probably the same as CramCycle's?). They are fine, but by gum the freewheel is loud. Not too heavy. True so far, but I got them for this winter, so will be better informed in six months.

In terms of customer service they were pretty good - no issues, really, at all. Asked for tubeless fitted, came tubeless fitted. Maybe a week later than original estimate.

All that said, there is much discussion online that Hunt's major skillset is marketing, and that you'd get better for the same money from Cycle Clinic, or Wheeltec.nl, or.... I bought wheels from Wheeltec a year or two back, and was pretty happy (Al33s on Tune hubs).

The freehub is loud and it's glorious. Thats how you know it's expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Alanbt

Had 2 pairs of disc wheels and was very happy with them. They may be good at marketing but they also provide good value, certainly in their aluminium wheels

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Alanbt wrote: »
    Had 2 pairs of disc wheels and was very happy with them. They may be good at marketing but they also provide good value, certainly in their aluminium wheels

I'm delighted with Alanbt's two disc wheels :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Alanbt

nee wrote: »
    I'm delighted with Alanbt's two disc wheels :D

Make good use of them now!

Hopefully she treats them better than she treats some of her tyres :D

No pressure :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Underpinner

I have Four Seasons Aero. They are excellent wheels, going into their second winter with no issues, still true and fast. Hunt may be good at marketing but that's not an issue when the product is good. It looks like the rims they use are Kinlan and their hubs, Bitex from Taiwan. If you price these separately and add spokes and building costs then Hunt are very competitively priced. I bought them mounted with Schwalbe Pro Ones mounted - tubeless, which I run at 75/80 psi. I've had to replace the back tyre. I think the lower pressure makes a big difference in terms of comfort. I would recommend Hunt to anyone. Obviously their carbon wheels might be different but they seem to get excellent reviews also.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 837897

Cheers for the reviews and recommendation

• Advertisement

Judging from the replies, I came across as criticising Hunt for their marketing skills. Not at all. They are good marketers, but their wheels (and, I am told, their after sales service) are no cause for complaint. I'm riding mine at the moment, and I'm pretty happy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nee wrote: »
    No pressure :eek: :D
    the boot didn't work again?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭dahat

CramCycle wrote: »
    The freehub is loud and it's glorious. Thats how you know it's expensive.

I've just heard these hubs on Instagram, Jesus I want a set now!!!

Wonder will the wife agree that a new set of wheels is warranted for the sound alone....🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

First spin on my Race Aero wheels this evening. That freehub sound,damn - I'm pretty sure it made me 10% faster and 25% more attractive to the opposite sex.

Rode mine around the Dying Light last weekend. Impossible to do any sneaking drafting. But 100% otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Resoguy

Got a set of Hunt 4 Season Gravel Disc (aluminium) wheels last week, a nice upgrading from the stock wheels on my bike, had to drop the bike into the shop anyway so got them to change the wheels over and set them up tubeless at the same time, first time running tubeless, dropped ~750g off the old wheelset and another ~150g going tubeless. Got out for a few spins over the weekend, freehub sounds great, a nice change. Looking forward to see how tubeless works out.

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/gravel-wheels/products/4season-gravel-disc-road-cx-wheelset-1589g-24deep-24wide

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Big Eejit

Hub sounds just like the hope hubs - LOUD! ... and I love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Sorry to resurrect this thread but how have ye faired with this wheels a couple of years later? Was thinking of buying a set

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I've got a pair of the alu disc ones, don't remember the name but still going strong after about 18 months of use

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

They are undoubtedly good wheels and if money is not an object buy them.

If it is, you can get the same quality for at least 200 less, just search through some of the numerous wheelset threads

I have Alanbt's two sets still and there's not a bother on them. The are loud of freehub, people really like it but I am alone in not liking it :pac: Good wheels though, no issues to report thus far.

Mine are still perfect, can still spin the back wheel off the ground, go make a cuppa, come back and it is still going. Definitely worth it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sounds like cramcycle is benefitting from mechanical doping to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

4 season disc wheel set for 2.5 years. The rear rim split at the nipples on about 12 of the spokes. They rebuilt under warranty. Support was fast and no argument and they turned it around quickly. New rim and they changed the freehub in the process. So I guess I have the original spokes and hub from what I hear they should use brass nipples and I expect the wheel to suffer the same fate again in the next year or so. For a sub €400 wheel set I can’t really complain. Always stayed true at least and the front is still immaculate. Say 7,000km to failure. I can’t really complain but it was a shock to see the rim splitting. Commuter bike so it had a hard life but I’ll aim for a brass nippled rim with higher spoke count next time

bingobars wrote: »
    Say 7,000km to failure.
    that's barely a chain and a half, on a rim without a braking surface?

that's barely a chain and a half, on a rim without a braking surface?

That's not great at all, that said mine are rim break and fine after similar distance, I wouldn't have gotten as much out of my typical throw away askiums. For longevity alone they have paid for themselves and way lighter than anything else in that bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Feel very similar to my old zondas, but better, that's my review. Zondas rear spokes do look cooler tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Underpinner

I still have the same Hunt wheels referred to early in this thread. They’re still faultless.... although I’ve spent the last 18 months on a set of Mason X Four Season Disc wheels.... commuting and longer rides, almost daily. There’s easily 6/7000k on them. Some of this is, without doubt, the bike but the wheels are still rock solid, roll fast and true.

Advertisement