Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing bathroom fan with a timed fan

Options
  • 23-10-2018 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

My bathroom fan stopped working, so I went out and bought a new one. I decided to get one with a timer. When I went to wire up the new fan, I saw that it has three wires (neutral, live, & switched live), but there are only two wires (neutral & live) available. Any advice on how to wire the new fan? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

It can't be connected to work with a timer function if it hasn't been wired that way.

Any work in bathrooms - as a special location in Part 7 of the National Wiring Rules - are Restricted Electrical Works and can only legally be carried out by a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC). My understanding is that it has been clarified that this does include accessory replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭tippgod

for a timer u need 3 wires. constant live, switch live and neutral
    if you cant bring it back to the place of purchase, there may be a way to still use the fan but only with on/off function

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ripkis

tippgod wrote: »
    for a timer u need 3 wires. constant live, switch live and neutral
    if you cant bring it back to the place of purchase, there may be a way to still use the fan but only with on/off function

Thanks for the reply. Would it work if I just connected the constant live and neutral, and left out the switched live?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Ripkis wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Would it work if I just connected the constant live and neutral, and left out the switched live?

No. It would never switch on. If the switched live and permanent live were linked at the fan it would work but without the timer function.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

@Ripkis: You should take on board Risteard81’s point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement