Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrading old laptop...worth it?

Options
  • 23-10-2018 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, "lucida grande", arial, helvetica, sans-serif]hello,[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, "lucida grande", arial, helvetica, sans-serif]thinking upgrading 4 year old laptop, adding SSD and perhaps upgrade ram to 8gb.[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, "lucida grande", arial, helvetica, sans-serif]model is hp compaq 15 s120ng[/font]
    [font=verdana, geneva, lucida, "lucida grande", arial, helvetica, sans-serif]4 gb 1600 ram ddr3L[/font]
    [font=verdana, geneva, lucida, "lucida grande", arial, helvetica, sans-serif]cpu n3540 pentium 2,16[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, "lucida grande", arial, helvetica, sans-serif]i have a spare 120gb ssd and the new ram upgrade would cost 56 eur.[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, "lucida grande", arial, helvetica, sans-serif]any advice?[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, "lucida grande", arial, helvetica, sans-serif]good or bad idea?[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, "lucida grande", arial, helvetica, sans-serif]non-gaming / ms office mostlý laptop[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, "lucida grande", arial, helvetica, sans-serif]thanks[/font]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

For Office and considering you have the ssd already then I don't see why you won't try it.
    I've done this loads of times for people who also had 4gb ram, never upgraded the Ram and they were very happy with the results.
    Install the SSD. If you're not happy monitor Ram and CPU usage. If Ram is maxing out get more Ram if it's the CPU then you need consider a new laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

SSD well worth it, RAM upgrade not really essential at this point unless you're doing something very specific that needs more than 4GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 saj1011

yes, as i thought, thanks for support!

Advertisement