Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet connection lasts 30 minutes before crashing?

• 23-10-2018 7:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭

So I'm having a persisting issue, been going on for weeks now. My connection works fine for a half an hour or so then drops. I contacted the webchat and they said they were sending out engineers. They said they'd check the cables outside and if that wasn't the issue they'd need to come into the house.

A few days passed and the Internet started working normally again and I heard nothing from any engineers. I assumed it was all fixed. Now for the past 2 days it's been doing it again.

Anyone else had this issue? 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

I'm having the exact same issues after 2 years without any issues. My problems started after the recent DSL outage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭bevan619

I'm having the exact same issues after 2 years without any issues. My problems started after the recent DSL outage.

Mine started somewhere around the 3rd week of September. It's a right pain as we're trying to book travel to get to a funeral in England next week.

And of course the travel sites only let you hold the tickets for about 10 minutes before they time out so by the time the router is rebooted we've to start all over again.

Been at this all day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭eir: Sarah

Hi there,

Sorry to here this. I would strongly recommend getting back in contact with our Technical support team on 1890 260 260 in order to perform some further testing and get this matter resolved.

Thanks,

Sarah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

bevan619 wrote: »
    So I'm having a persisting issue, been going on for weeks now. My connection works fine for a half an hour or so then drops. I contacted the webchat and they said they were sending out engineers. They said they'd check the cables outside and if that wasn't the issue they'd need to come into the house.

A few days passed and the Internet started working normally again and I heard nothing from any engineers. I assumed it was all fixed. Now for the past 2 days it's been doing it again.

Anyone else had this issue? 

Having this issue too. Not sure where everyone is based but I'm Kilkenny. I'm with sky BB but they just resell from eir lines obviously. Constant disconnects and/or loss of download speeds for last two weeks. No issue prior to that. Sky sent out eir engineer who spent half a day with me. Typically my connection never dropped once. He ran loads of tests from my home and the exchange. Replaced a few wires but issue persists. It's driving me nuts. Bought landline yesterday as sky wanted to check call quality. Initially when plugged in it crackled and was unusable. Then magically fixed itself. This morn it's back crackling. Arghhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

You guys should at least try changing your DNS to Google's like everyone was forced to during the outage. That would at least rule out Eir's DNS as being the problem. I would bet money on the issue going away if you do that. Here are instructions from another boardsie from the time (forget who)

OK, I'm going to try to post the idiots guide to changing your DNS to google for F2000 modems
    first open a new tab and enter http://192.168.1.254/ into the address bar
    username is admin and password will be your wifi password as printed on the back of the modem
    From the top of the page click Internet
    In internet settings go to the bottom of VDSL WAN-1
    just after IPv6 address prefix list you'll see two buttons, Delete and Edit.
    Press Edit
    Scroll down until you see an unticked box called Static DNS 
    Tick the box
    8 more boxes should appear called IPv4 Primary DNS Server and secondary DNS Server.
    In each of the boxes for the Primary server replace all the numbers with a single 8 
    then in the secondary server replace the first two boxes with 8 and the last two boxes with 4
    It should look something like this.
    IPv4 primary DNS server: [8].[8].[8].[8]
    IPv4 secondary DNS server: [8].[8].[4].[4]
    Click Save a few lines down.
    After about a minute. Internet should be restored. There should not be a need to restart your modem.
    Hope this helps someone.

• Advertisement

You guys should at least try changing your DNS to Google's like everyone was forced to during the outage. That would at least rule out Eir's DNS as being the problem. I would bet money on the issue going away if you do that. Here are instructions from another boardsie from the time (forget who)

OK, I'm going to try to post the idiots guide to changing your DNS to google for F2000 modems
    username is admin and password will be your wifi password as printed on the back of the modem
    Press Edit
    Tick the box
    8 more boxes should appear called IPv4 Primary DNS Server and secondary DNS Server.
    In each of the boxes for the Primary server replace all the numbers with a single 8 
    then in the secondary server replace the first two boxes with 8 and the last two boxes with 4
    After about a minute. Internet should be restored. There should not be a need to restart your modem.
    Hope this helps someone.

Will give this a bash and hope for the best. Still, don't think I should have to do this for a service I'm paying for to work. Thanks for the suggestion though will let you know if it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 T1000x

Yeah, I'm having brutal connectivity issues here..

It would seem though, that my modem is an F1000, would anyone be able to point me in the direction of instructions similar to the ones for the F2000 modem please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭eir: Kyle

T1000x wrote: »

It would seem though, that my modem is an F1000, would anyone be able to point me in the direction of instructions similar to the ones for the F2000 modem please?
    Hi there T1000x

You can find the manual for the F1000 here

-Kyle

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MrWilbert

I've been having the same issue though I do not use the F2000 anymore as I replaced it with an Asus-AC87A due to the thickness of the walls in my house.

The random, but sometimes very frequent drop-outs have been happening ever since someone forgot to update the certs for the dns debacle.

I rang Eir tech support (not knowing I was using a premium line number) on Thursday 25th and was told engineers would come and inspect my line, first remotely, then if that wasn't successful then they'd come to the property. 

No one has contacted me since and no one has called to the door, despite being assured that all would be done 'within three working days'.

I work from home and patchy internet (and phone as I rely on wifi calling) just doesn't cut it. 
    My ref number is 3112106

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

T1000x wrote: »

Hi T1000x,

Follow the steps below for Eircom F1000 Modem

Once you login into you modem admin console, choose 'Network Setting' (one of the bottom tabs), then choose 'Broadband' from the menu list (first one on top)
    Under Modify column, click Edit (pencil-paper icon) for VDSL (first row in the table)
    Scroll down to “DNS Server” section & apply the following values for the fields.
    DNS : Static
    DNS Server 1 :  8.8.8.8
    DNS Server 2 : 8.8.4.4
    Click ‘Apply’ at the bottom of that screen
    That's it !! 

The settings page will start reloading (give it a min or so!). The internet indicator light on the modem will go red & then green again. Test your internet connection thereafter. Hope this helps !  

• Advertisement

Press Edit
    Tick the box
    Hope this helps someone.

Nah still having the issues. Just dropped there while 2-0 up on FIFA Weekend League so fairly annoyed but sure eir don't give a ****e so what can ya do. 😂

Think I'll be cancelling and switching.

Advertisement