Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its got me thinking

Options
  • 23-10-2018 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

I am working in a large multi national company for the last 5.5 years. Salary is decent (but could always be better), and job is fairly autonomous.

Lately, management have started to piss me off. I'm thinking it's getting a bit too toxic to work in and to enjoy what I'm doing.

Some (maybe one) manager would say one thing to your face but absolutely slate you to other managers. On a few occasions, some comments / remarks that this manager would have said to me in public / meetings are border line bullying IMO. I have started to notice that some people in the office are just fake to your face.

I feel my progression has been hampered in this company and my brand has been tarnished.

On the other side, a recruiter has been on to me a few times about a role which would be a slightly higher position, better pay, all other benefits the same.

It's got me thinking, should I just go ahead and apply for this role or just see how my current role plays out. I have this fear that, I will leave my current job, start a new one, and then regret it.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Mackzee wrote: »
    I am working in a large multi national company for the last 5.5 years. Salary is decent (but could always be better), and job is fairly autonomous.

Lately, management have started to piss me off. I'm thinking it's getting a bit too toxic to work in and to enjoy what I'm doing.

Some (maybe one) manager would say one thing to your face but absolutely slate you to other managers. On a few occasions, some comments / remarks that this manager would have said to me in public / meetings are border line bullying IMO. I have started to notice that some people in the office are just fake to your face.

I feel my progression has been hampered in this company and my brand has been tarnished.

On the other side, a recruiter has been on to me a few times about a role which would be a slightly higher position, better pay, all other benefits the same.

It's got me thinking, should I just go ahead and apply for this role or just see how my current role plays out. I have this fear that, I will leave my current job, start a new one, and then regret it.

No harm applying, and speaking to other companies. You don't owe your current employer anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Apply.
    Make a decision when you have an actual choice to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,115 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Given your post I can’t see why you wouldn’t apply ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Apply. Do the interview, that in itself is always a good thing. The way you talk about it you don't love it and you will eventually become just as toxic as the others

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Mackzee

Now, I must say that there are some really good people here too and I made some decent friends aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Now, I must say that there are some really good people here too and I made some decent friends aswell.

If it was me I would apply.
    Nothing to lose.
    Can make a decision if you are offered the job.
    See how you feel about them in the interview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

well that's nearly always the way. you work with some lovely colleagues but a few managers who make everyone miserable. that will likely be the case in another place too. Because Irish companies haven't a clue what makes a good manager. They usually think that being a manager is about being a disciplinarian, being overbearing, arrogant, demanding, and authoritative. The biggest pr!cks in this country outside of politicians and landlords are middle management types, who often do nothing but annoy, badger and bully the lower paid workers who actually keep the company running and have to be submissive and cooperative on top of it all.

And in a new job, you are on probation and have a lot less rights, if you want to make a stand about something, you will likely be gone. They can't do anything that so easily to a long time worker, they have more procedures to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

You're right the grass isn't always greener.

Right now you know the system, you know the process, you know the people, you know the job. You've carved out a little cave for yourself, and in general it's working out OK.

But you're not that happy and you feel you could be doing better.

So the logical thing to do is to go to the interview. Really, really think about the things which are concerning you about taking the new job, and talk to the interviewers about them. Obviously you would need to be careful/political about what you ask/your phrasing.

I think you'll know what you want after you've finished the interview.

Try to listen to your gut.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Mackzee

I'm actually surprised about the amount of feedback and advice already. Thanks everyone, your helping to clear up my train of thought.

well that's nearly always the way. you work with some lovely colleagues but a few managers who make everyone miserable. that will likely be the case in another place too. Because Irish companies haven't a clue what makes a good manager. They usually think that being a manager is about being a disciplinarian, being overbearing, arrogant, demanding, and authoritative. The biggest pr!cks in this country outside of politicians and landlords are middle management types, who often do nothing but annoy, badger and bully the lower paid workers who actually keep the company running and have to be submissive and cooperative on top of it all.

And in a new job, you are on probation and have a lot less rights, if you want to make a stand about something, you will likely be gone. They can't do anything that so easily to a long time worker, they have more procedures to follow.

It’s always the management isn’t it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Never let fear stop you, at the end of the day you will regret not trying rather than trying and failing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Cyrus wrote: »
    It’s always the management isn’t it

In Ireland its usually whomever is doing better than you...

Not everyone is suited to be a manager and many never have any training.

Op if it I was you I'd be doing lots of interviews. The fastest way to progress is to change jobs. If it doesn't work out keep moving until it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,521 ✭✭✭caviardreams

calfmuscle wrote: »
    Never let fear stop you, at the end of the day you will regret not trying rather than trying and failing!

In fairness I think you always feel a little out of your depth when you start a new job but to me that's the whole point (and something I remind myself of when I am feeling like "OMG I will never manage!") - it's about pushing yourself to develop and grow and learn, and if you were just moving into a job that was inside your comfort zone sure you might as well stay where you are. 6-12 months in, I would say you would be feeling much more comfortable even if initialy it seems like you won't manage.

In fairness I think you always feel a little out of your depth when you start a new job but to me that's the whole point (and something I remind myself of when I am feeling like "OMG I will never manage!") - it's about pushing yourself to develop and grow and learn, and if you were just moving into a job that was inside your comfort zone sure you might as well stay where you are. 6-12 months in, I would say you would be feeling much more comfortable even if initialy it seems like you won't manage.

yes, its a good idea to realise (and them remember when you start) that you will probably hate the first 3 months or so and second guess your decision, totally normal :D

Advertisement