Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

social housing in upmarket estate

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Not really, all the neighbouring areas suffer as a result. Contributing neighbours of mine here in Stoneybatter have had their car windscreens smashed in by gangs coming down from O'Devaney. Spreading them out may not be a perfect solution but at least its equitable. The problem with financial argument for social housing placement is that it's self reinforcing: putting social where it's cheap drives down prices there, and drives up prices where there's none.

The objective is not to increase the price of houses or the cost of land to build social housing, if anything it sounds like another reason to consolodate it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Not really, all the neighbouring areas suffer as a result. Contributing neighbours of mine here in Stoneybatter have had their car windscreens smashed in by gangs coming down from O'Devaney. Spreading them out may not be a perfect solution but at least its equitable. The problem with financial argument for social housing placement is that it's self reinforcing: putting social where it's cheap drives down prices there, and drives up prices where there's none.

Yes and that is as a result of being geolocated close to a social housing (or lower sociodemographic area).

There are no gangs in Foxrock, Dalkey etc

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Cyrus wrote: »
    what utopia do you live in?
    His utopia sounds more like a fruitopia.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

boombang wrote:
    What's so sad is that all of the problems in this thread could be simply solved by having a robust eviction policy for those who behave poorly. Plenty of people who would welcome a subsidised house. A bit of backbone would eliminate this nonsense quickly and everybody would be better off.

The bleeding heart brigade won't allow that. But there should be some dedicated social housing estates to send troublemakers to

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭abcabc123123

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes and that is as a result of being geolocated close to a social housing (or lower sociodemographic area).

There are no gangs in Foxrock, Dalkey etc
    Which is my point. Large scale social housing is a burden on neighbouring areas and thus should be spread around so that the burden is shared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Which is my point. Large scale social housing is a burden on neighbouring areas and thus should be spread around so that the burden is shared.

there is no where in dublin that isnt proximate to a less desirable area (its all relative but still) except maybe foxrock.

In dalkey / killiney / glenageary /blackrock / monkstown you have ballybrack and Monkstown farm relatively close.

El_Bee wrote: »
    it's actually quite politically correct to attack "upper" class people, however I'd take Feilim & his pals getting into a bit of mischief now and then to the daily robbed cars, dirt bikes, drug dealing and anti-social behaviour of Deano & co. At the very least when you call the Gardai on them I bet the result isn't Felim's dad the solicitor, surgeon, architect or whatever threatening to burn you out of your house for being a rat.

Lol!
    The result is Felim & his friends laughing at gardai like they are some lower class sh1t on their shoes. Felim & his friends ' know his rights' dont you know.....
    Oh & felims dad, the solicitor etc throws plenty of threats around about how he will get the guard sacked etc, he pays the guards wages, don't ya know. & he will be playing golf this weekend with the assistant commissioner & local TD.

Give me a down to earth council estate gang any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,788 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Last warning - accomodation and property, not sociology, crime, humour or wherever else people think they're posting.

Advertisement