Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 weeks old cries when lying down even during diaper change

• 24-10-2018 5:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all. I was hoping for some advice. Apologies for a long post.

My 2 weeks old daughter wants to be held all the time . She won't lie flat at all and will start crying unless she's in my arms. She falls asleep on me (my chest or shoulders) and only once sound asleep, I put her into her cot. Reflux/silent reflux had been ruled out by the doctor.

I think I may have a high needs baby (and considering carrying her in a sling) and I don't mind holding her if that's what she needs, but she cries even when I change her diaper (surely that can't be normal)- she doesn't like to be lying down at all. She keeps waking my 18 month old daughter at night, especially during the nappy change.
    Any advice please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

She is two weeks old. The world is such a scary place for her and she is still just getting used to it. Of course she is "high needs", she is brand new and is just getting familiar with all the lights, sounds and smells. Getting her nappy changed may make her cold or she may just hate all the fidgeting. Get a sling, keep her close and read about the 'forth trimester'.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

She is only two weeks.I assume your first was not like this?It may be somewhat early to rule out reflux but that being said, it's not always reflux, either.It can be hard to adjust to the fact that each baby is different.My third howled at nappy changes, hated them.My first howled (still does) when anything was pulled over her head.I will say that none of mine would just lie in cots or prams or whatever and drift off.Maybe that mae them high needs, I'm not sure.I am almost certain my first could be classified as such, - even now I can see she is an extremely energetic four year old who we do have to watch because she gets very easily "overdone".My third is tranquil enough but wouldn't lie on a playmat until maybe 14 weeks, he screamed the place down

I would say run with it for now.She's still tiny.I give them til about ten/twelve weeks or so before I have any kind of judgement on them!It is hard to have a baby like that though, I do know, so make sure you hand over to your OH when possible.Be kind to yourself, take it a day at a time til you get to six weeks anyway and have that first smile!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Get a good sling for yourself. I'm.sure you're doing everything right. Maybe you are more aware of the cries as you are concerned about waking your other baby?

Congratulations and enjoy the cuddles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭cazwhatever

My little fella is 8 months old and the most easy going baby you would ever meet but would absolutely bawl when he was getting his nappy changed when he was small. I'd say it was the cold feeling. A friend of ours suggested putting a fresh nappy down and open underneath baby before taking off dirty nappy so that they don't have to feel the cold changing table. It definitely helped but he cried up at at least 2 months having his nappy changed.

At 2 weeks, he just wanted to be held all the time, just to hear my heartbeat, feel my warmth. He is Mr. Independent now and isn't too interested on my anymore :D

Advertisement