Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

customs holding package

Options
  • 24-10-2018 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

hello

I ordered a supplement from a US based company. It was shipped from the US on the 8th of october. Its still not here yet and I am wondering if there is a problem with it in customs. I have the USPS tracking and the last update was the 18th of october where it said "your item departed a transfer airport in dublin, your item is currently in transit to its destination".. It did not say it was going to customs but I assume it has as it would of been delivered by now. how long does customs usually take? does usps usually not say its gone to customs?

I tried to track it on the an post website but they have no record of it.

how long should i wait before I contact customs about this

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭kirving

What's the supplement?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭vandriver

Might it be considered a medicine?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

First post.

RED ALERT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭edwardkiley

It's not a prescribed medicine even though they might think it is.

It says on the package its for research uses and not consumption so I thought there would not be a problem.

How should I contact them to ask if there is a problem or should I just wait longer?

What's the supplement?

It's piracetam. It's not a prescribed medicine. Maybe they think it is though.

• Advertisement

It's piracetam. It's not a prescribed medicine. Maybe they think it is though.

Piracetam is prescribed in the UK, I imagine it is in Ireland as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Medicines of any kind - prescribed, OTC, unlicenced - cannot be brought in to the country by mail. If it is with customs it'll have been passed to the HPRA; the item will be destroyed and you'll get a letter from the HPRA but realistically nothing will come of it unless you're caught again.

The lack of updates is probably because there is no code for "item is with regulatory body".

L1011 wrote: »
    Medicines of any kind - prescribed, OTC, unlicenced - cannot be brought in to the country by mail. If it is with customs it'll have been passed to the HPRA; the item will be destroyed and you'll get a letter from the HPRA but realistically nothing will come of it unless you're caught again.

The lack of updates is probably because there is no code for "item is with regulatory body".

It's not for medical purposes and where does it say no medicines can be brought into the county by mail.

Fck this nanny state.

When will I get a letter from the hpra would you say?

It's not for medical purposes and where does it say no medicines can be brought into the county by mail.

Fck this nanny state.

When will I get a letter from the hpra would you say?

It's medicine, what else would you be using it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭vandriver

The first thing that Google throws up...
    'Piracetam is a medicine that belongs to the category of cognitive enhancers.'

• Advertisement

troyzer wrote: »
    It's medicine, what else would you be using it for?

Research, measuring concentrations through IR spectroscopy

vandriver wrote: »
    The first thing that Google throws up...
    'Piracetam is a medicine that belongs to the category of cognitive enhancers.'
    I read online though it's only prescription medicines that can't be bought online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

So why can you not access it through the correct academic bodies?

....... wrote: »
    So why can you not access it through the correct academic bodies?

Yeah, it wouldn't be that hard. I've worked with otherwise restricted materials before for research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

?

It's a medicine, so by default it's for medical use.

troyzer wrote: »
    Yeah, it wouldn't be that hard. I've worked with otherwise restricted materials before for research.

What bodies do you get them through?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭granturismo

Unless you have a spectroscope in your bat cave, Sigma will sell this chemical so there was no need for any company or educational institute to order it from the US.

My university at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nootropics :rolleyes:

Whoever you are associated with for the research - the university or if its a private company, then the company you are working for.

You seem to be trying to import medicines as a private individual which is not allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I read online though it's only prescription medicines that can't be bought online

"bought online" and "brought in to the country via post/courier" are two different things. You can buy OTC products online from domestic retailers. Even medicine you have a prescription for can only be brought in in person, not by post/courier. Same applies to lots of other things - cigarettes, alcohol for instance. Both of those can be bought online domestically also.

If you are purchasing these for scientific research purposes, you are not a consumer by definition. Talk to your institution about how they obtain and import material under licence.

Well can anyone with experience tell me if customs stops your item does it usually not show up on usps tracking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It ain't proper research if you have to source materials yourself on the Internet.

Poor effort.

It ain't proper research if you have to source materials yourself on the Internet.

Poor effort.
    How does that define proper research

The amount of regulation discourages scientific research.

Fck this country can't wait till I get out of it

Can you explain why you have access to a spectrometer but not to an institution which can source the materials for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭granturismo

Can you post a link to the product you ordered? thanks

But you wouldnt face the kind of regulation you face as a private individual if you were working through the proper channels.

It will be the same in any country :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Well can anyone with experience tell me if customs stops your item does it usually not show up on usps tracking?

It may get a "with customs" status but they can be hit and miss.

Get in touch with Revenue for future imports, they will come out assess your set up and give you a letter of authorisation, they'll want to see your destruction process and witness it on a rolling basis for all destruction. That's what we've done anyway. Assuming it is actually research purpose.

• Advertisement

Im in college doing medicinal chemistry, I have not asked them yet but I have already asked them fro something else related to research so I would not like to bother them with this aswell.

The spec is in the lab. I dont have the calibrated wavelengths so Im not even sure if its accurate way to measure concentration but I guess I wont be finding out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement