Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waste collection in Wicklow Town

Options
  • 24-10-2018 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Hi all.
    We're new to the town and just wondering which waste collection company to use for the bins. Moved from an apartment so never had to think about this service. Are they all around the same price/ level of service?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I'm in Glenealy, just up the road and I use Thorntons. I find them perfectly good.

I have three bins - a green recyclable, black general waste and a brown compost one (only really needed if you have a garden and have a lot of grass cuttings and leaves). One lift a week - alternates between the green and black bins. Brown bin is collected every two weeks, if you leave it out.

Costs me about 240 euros a year - but the price charged depends on the size of the bins and various other factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

We have Greenstar and very similar - 3 bins, one week is general waste, other week is recycling and compost.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭dbas

Greenstar and Thorntons. Thanks very much.
    Then I'll just have to remember to get it out on time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

We're with thorntons and find them expensive. Every time we put our black bin out its around 18/19 euro. Greenstar were a better price when we looked but thorntons wanted stupid money to collect and clean their bins so we stuck with them. There is AWD aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Greenstar also has an app that sends notifications to remind you the day before what to put out which is handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

2013Lara wrote: »
    We're with thorntons and find them expensive. Every time we put our black bin out its around 18/19 euro. Greenstar were a better price when we looked but thorntons wanted stupid money to collect and clean their bins so we stuck with them. There is AWD aswell.

how is it costing 18/19 euro per lift?

if you are on the eco band, you've 40kg per month (2 lifts), and 25c per kg over that, so 18 euro is another 72kg of rubbish a month.

if you're on the pay per lift it's €10.90 a lift (40kg max), to bring that up to €18 that's another 28kg a lift.

Basically you're throwing out the sized of a healthy adult every lift :eek:

how is it costing 18/19 euro per lift?

if you are on the eco band, you've 40kg per month (2 lifts), and 25c per kg over that, so 18 euro is another 72kg of rubbish a month.

if you're on the pay per lift it's €10.90 a lift (40kg max), to bring that up to €18 that's another 28kg a lift.

Basically you're throwing out the sized of a healthy adult every lift :eek:

We have a baby in nappies. Switched to a brown bin too which has helped with black bin cost but no word of a lie, the overweight charge was 8/9euro every two weeks. I don't think we're on an eco band. Ten euro per lift and paying by weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

awd quiet good i find 11.50 a lift for 240l waste bin and 3.75 a lift for green bin on prepay

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

2013Lara wrote: »
    We have a baby in nappies. Switched to a brown bin too which has helped with black bin cost

Do you put nappies into the brown bin?

Your post doesn't make that clear and while the 'contents' of the nappy is compostable the nappy material itself isn't.

(Sorry if I'm jumping to conclusions and for the overly graphic content :))

Zebbedee wrote: »
    Do you put nappies into the brown bin?

Your post doesn't make that clear and while the 'contents' of the nappy is compostable the nappy material itself isn't.

(Sorry if I'm jumping to conclusions and for the overly graphic content :))

No we don't put nappies in the brown bin, hence why the black is so heavy

• Advertisement
Advertisement