Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knee pain

Options
  • 24-10-2018 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

Hi all, since I've completed a 500km cycle over 3 days I've been off the bike with knee pain. 10 minutes on the turbo is about all I can manage since.

Physio has diagnosed tight quads and a weak VMO which pulls my kneecap off line which seems to be common.

I've been foam rolling my quads and doing knee exercises since, but improvement is minimal.

Has anyone got experience in this that could share any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Had the same myself a few years back - got particularly bad coming up to a big cycle trip.

Ultimately I ended up with a choice if I want to cycle any kind of distance I'd have a choice between rolling, stretching & some strength work or a painful knee. For the rest of my life.

One thing that helped me when it was particularly bad (and really surprised me) was dry needling. But that was more a short term option to get through a particularly intense period of cycling.

What I can say is - 5 or 6 years later - when I really put the effort in and keep up regular rolling, stretching & strength work it helps enormously. Even if I'm only doing small amounts. As long as it's regular it seems to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Had similar issues myself, building up the strength in my glutes through squats and lunges put me right.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

No Medical Advise please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement